Newbie selecting a kit help please

Dadplus2

Pedelecer
May 31, 2010
Exeter, United Kingdom
Hi There,

I am looking for a kit with the following rough spec - it's my first one.

I want to build a bike with a brushless hub barfang I think, 250W ish. Then I am looking for lightweight components like a battery bottle and small controller.

Ideally I would like to just have an on/off switch and thats it so do I even need a controller. Cytronex do the sort of thing I am after but in bike form.

I have a low budget under £500.

If anyone can give me any tips or point me in the right direction I would be most grateful.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Juicy Bike kits are listed here and are in stock.

There are many suppliers who post on these forums and all will give plenty of advice.

Our kits use the same components as our ready built bikes, save the battery, which mounts onto the seat stem.

Hope this helps and good luck with your search.

D

Deleted member 4366

These people used to sell exactly what you've asked for, but they don't list it any more. Give them a call and they'll probably be able to help you out.
26" 8Fun Ebike Electric Bike Conversion Kit 36V-8F26F36 | eBay
The new Oxygen kit looks really nice, but I guess a bit more expensive and not on sale yet.
OXYDrive? - World's best looking electric bike conversion kit
Kudos may sell you the bits as spare parts. They're quite low cost. Should be around your budget.
.: Kudos Cycles - e-bikes with style :.
Or forget about the kit and buy the whole bike, or strip off the kit from this.
E26M03S | 26" Electric Aluminium Mountain Bike | 36V Lithium Bottle Battery with Panasonic Cells,21 SP SHIMANO, DISC Brake

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I want to build a bike with a brushless hub barfang

Ideally I would like to just have an on/off switch and thats it so do I even need a controller.
You do need a controller, since a brushless motor is effectively in two parts, motor unit and controller. The latter issues the current pulses that would have been issued internally by the commutator in a brush motor.

A few motors have had a built in controller, but that is very rare.

Last edited:
C

Cyclezee

Hi There,

I am looking for a kit with the following rough spec - it's my first one.

I want to build a bike with a brushless hub barfang I think, 250W ish. Then I am looking for lightweight components like a battery bottle and small controller.

Ideally I would like to just have an on/off switch and thats it so do I even need a controller. Cytronex do the sort of thing I am after but in bike form.

I have a low budget under £500.

If anyone can give me any tips or point me in the right direction I would be most grateful.
Hi Dadplus2,

Welcome to the forum.
A forum member is selling a kit which although not quite the spec you are looking for, you could use the parts you want, sell the rest and buy a bottle battery from here, if and when they have some in stock, 36V 8.8Ah Bottlle battery Pack - BMSBATTERY. The problem with bottle batteries is their capacity is not very big. Max is around 9Ah and a short warranty, but this would fall well within your budget.

Regards,

Last edited by a moderator:

Dadplus2

Pedelecer
May 31, 2010
Exeter, United Kingdom
Cheers guys, for the quick concise response. Seem there are a few options out there that may fit. Has anyone used the on/off switch instead of a throttle or seen one for sale? Thanks