Newbie... which kit? ;)

Defblade

Just Joined
Jun 13, 2022
Carmarthenshire
Hi folks,

I thought this was going to be easy: fit a Swytch kit and ride off into the sunset/rise. But then I came here and now I'm not so sure at all!

I'm soon to start a new job, just 3 miles down the road, but with a few short/sharp climbs (8-10%). I really want to ride there... but I'm a sweaty git, despite being pretty bike fit (approx 2500 miles per year). Also, I'm in Wales, so for this to be useful most of the year round, I need not to be sweating in waterproofs as well! Hence looking at adding electricity to my bike.

I started planning planning turning my nice modern road bike into a commuter, but soon realised it's make much more sense to use my old Thorn Brevet audax/lightweight touring bike which is currently doing duty on Zwift, but already has all the things I was thinking of adding to my nice bike - guards, rack, bottle dynamo (I guess that'll go with a massive battery strapped to the bike!), double sided pedals, Marathons, etc.

It's late '90s, 531c all through including the forks. It has a 3x on the front with square taper and a bog standard size/thread BB. I think it's 135mm on the rear; currently an 8 speed cassette adapted up from 7. QR axles both ends.

So as far as I can see, I could fairly easily fit something in any of the 3 main positions - front wheel, rear wheel, mid. I'm somewhat bamboozled as to the differences though in terms of things like geared or DD hubs (which I didn't know about until an hour or three ago), pedal or torque sensing, and probably much more.

I did read that one type of mid-drive cuts power if you're over 90rpm - and I tend to pedal at 90-100 when I'm not struggling up something... that's the sort of thing I'd like to know in advance!

I'm about 93kg, if that makes a difference. (And 6'4", as you'll see from the mahoosive frame)
I'm confident and capable spannering bikes/cars/etc, and working on electrics, too, although I don't want too much of a mix'n'match project here.
Cost is a slight issue, but can be offset as with 3 miles each way, the smallest batteries will probably be plenty ;)

Reading through a load of threads, you guys seem to be a friendly helpful bunch, so could you all point me in the right direction, please?
(Probably at Woosh from what I've seen, but even there, the choice is bewildering!)

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
For that short commute a small battery would certainly be adequate and much neater. I'm not sure if Woosh could supply the XF07 (for example) with bottle battery instead of downtube. (I'm far from being a style purist, but it does seem a shame to fit a largish downtube battery to a lovely bike like that. I didn't have similar qualms about fitting one to our very basic Viking tandem.)

Cytronex do kits that would be suitable for a bike like that, but they are very pricy for what they are (around £1000), and you are at their mercy for spares when the time comes.

Similarly Swytch spares can be expensive and you are pretty much tied to them for supply.

Jodel

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2020
I'm no expert on e-bikes as I'm a recent convert to electric assist, but I have fitted Woosh rear hub motor kits to two of my bikes with few issues. More experienced members have sourced parts separately but as a novice, my preference was to buy a kit from a known supplier as it should all fit together and just work (it did).

Front hub / mid drive / rear hub all have their advantages and disadvantages, as does the choice of cadence sensing / torque sensing. For commuting uses, I think hub motors are generally favoured as they should be fairly maintenance free. If the rear drop outs on your bike are 135mm, then I think you should be fine to fit any rear hub motor of your choice.

Although your commute is short, I wouldn't rule out a larger battery as you are quite a big chap and in my view, you can never have too much power :). Aesthetic considerations aside, a larger battery should also mean fewer charging cycles, hence longer life?

In my case I have the Woosh DWG22C motor (https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?hubkits#dwg22c-48v-kit) which is easily capable of taking me up any hill I have encountered. This was bought primarily for use on our tandem and it works well in this role. On a solo, it provides plenty of oomph.

It may be worth giving Woosh a call / email as they are very good at offering advice if you explain what you are after from your conversion. Keep us posted on progress and good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: sjpt

Defblade

Just Joined
Jun 13, 2022
Carmarthenshire
More experienced members have sourced parts separately but as a novice, my preference was to buy a kit from a known supplier as it should all fit together and just work (it did).

Although your commute is short, I wouldn't rule out a larger battery as you are quite a big chap and in my view, you can never have too much power :).

It may be worth giving Woosh a call / email as they are very good at offering advice if you explain what you are after from your conversion. Keep us posted on progress and good luck.
1) Exactly where I am. I don't want to spend ages learning the whole thing just to do it the once.

2) Too true! Too little power definitely could be a problem...

3) I think I'll email them a link to this thread to save me a lot of re-typing ;)

Thanks folks :)

Defblade

Just Joined
Jun 13, 2022
Carmarthenshire
As a follow-up, it took a while, but after speaking to Woosh I bought and have just fitted a XF08 rear hub kit, with the 13Ah downtube battery.

A bit nervous drilling into my nice old bike for the battery mounts, but it went ok. The worst bit was fitting the display as the clamp on it was far too small for my bars. I've bodged a mount up though out of old bits and bobs. As I want to be able to use this bike for commuting and local shopping, I also ditched the second bottle holder so I could mount my d-lock permanently. It feels odd not to be carrying water on a bike, but the short distances and motor assist should mean I don't need it!

I've been out a couple of times to test it; I hardly notice the boost on 1 or 2 out of 5; 3 is useful but 4 or 5 are best to haul me up the hills.
So my old audax/lightweight tourer, lately a dedicated Zwift machine, now has a third life as a utility bike :)

Defblade

Just Joined
Jun 13, 2022
Carmarthenshire
I do have panniers for this bike if I really feel the need to carry some fluid! Thanks for the tip, though... I haven't considered a saddlebag for this bike as it's got a handlebar bag along with the panniers... also, I haven't even settled on which saddle I'm going to end up using for this bike yet!

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I chuck my phone in there too, because all of a sudden they're too big for pockets. But not trusting the straps with a phone, I secure with it using a large reusable ziptie.