Newbie with a Wisper

Simon M

Just Joined
May 26, 2024
Hi, new to ebikes but been cycling for over 40 years.
Just purchased two 2nd hand Wisper 705se hardly used fom a freind, bikes are 4 yrs old but display on one is not showing speed or odo or trip, apparently has never worked from new & has only done about 100 miles! Any thoughts? Also anyone got any ideas of how to adjust the travel on the break levers, I don't want to fiddle as I have no repair manual.

Looking forward to ebikeing & am enjoying both bikes so far.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Welcome, Wisper have manuals on the site you may need to delve deeper for older models??

If no joy there post pics of the brakes you want to adjust and their levers..

IF no one from Wisper has dropped in here by monday pm to respond to the display probs, drop them an email or call them, while not a customer myself going by the after sales support they display in here on 1st and 2nd user bikes they would be the best to advise on accessing cable connections to check/test/clean, and delve deeper if needed.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi, new to ebikes but been cycling for over 40 years.
Just purchased two 2nd hand Wisper 705se hardly used fom a freind, bikes are 4 yrs old but display on one is not showing speed or odo or trip, apparently has never worked from new & has only done about 100 miles! Any thoughts? Also anyone got any ideas of how to adjust the travel on the break levers, I don't want to fiddle as I have no repair manual.

Looking forward to ebikeing & am enjoying both bikes so far.
What do you mean by adjust the travel?
There is no reach adjustment on cable operated brakes.
The operational adjustment is done by three separate adjustments. The stationary pad is adjusted first by turning the set screw in the back to bring it as close to the disc as you can without touching; then you screw in the cable adjuster on the handlebar as far in as it goes; then you adjust the cable length in the clamp on the caliper by releasing the clamp nut and pinching the arm forward to the position just before the pad touches the disc, let it back a bit and tighten the clamp nut. After that, as the pads wear, you can do small adjustments with the cable length adjuster on the handlebar levers.

This is quite a good explanation except for the bit about adjusting the stationary pad. He does it visually, but it's much better to screw it in until it touches, then back it off until the wheel spins without touching. Be aware that some brakes have a stupid tiny grub screw in the edge of the caliper that locks that adjustment. In that case you have to loosen it before you can adjust with the set screw. This is the most important adjustment that's often missing from instructions, so make sure you do it first if you want brakes that actually stop you efficiently.

Simon M

Just Joined
May 26, 2024
What do you mean by adjust the travel?
There is no reach adjustment on cable operated brakes.
The operational adjustment is done by three separate adjustments. The stationary pad is adjusted first by turning the set screw in the back to bring it as close to the disc as you can without touching; then you screw in the cable adjuster on the handlebar as far in as it goes; then you adjust the cable length in the clamp on the caliper by releasing the clamp nut and pinching the arm forward to the position just before the pad touches the disc, let it back a bit and tighten the clamp nut. After that, as the pads wear, you can do small adjustments with the cable length adjuster on the handlebar levers.

This is quite a good explanation except for the bit about adjusting the stationary pad. He does it visually, but it's much better to screw it in until it touches, then back it off until the wheel spins without touching. Be aware that some brakes have a stupid tiny grub screw in the edge of the caliper that locks that adjustment. In that case you have to loosen it before you can adjust with the set screw. This is the most important adjustment that's often missing from instructions, so make sure you do it first if you want brakes that actually stop you efficiently.
Thanks for the very comprehensive reply, unfortunately these are not cable brakes but hydraulic. I need to adjust the reach (the distance between the lever & the handlebar ) before the brakes start to function , at the moment I have to pull the lever almost tight to the handlebars, I don't want to blindly fiddle with screws in case of letting air into the system. The online manual gives nothing away as though it is " Top Secret".
There is a set screw (grub screw) so I might try that to give some adjustment.

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Thanks for the very comprehensive reply, unfortunately these are not cable brakes but hydraulic. I need to adjust the reach (the distance between the lever & the handlebar ) before the brakes start to function , at the moment I have to pull the lever almost tight to the handlebars, I don't want to blindly fiddle with screws in case of letting air into the system. The online manual gives nothing away as though it is " Top Secret".
There is a set screw (grub screw) so I might try that to give some adjustment.
The 705SE normally has cable brakes. They must have changed. Hydraulic brakes have a screw adjuster between the lever and the handlebar.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
How to improve cheap mechanical disc brakes ...
... Take them off and throw them in the dustbin ;)

Hydraulics have dropped so much in price they're probably of similar cost to cable brakes, but without the inherent flaws.

A pair of Shimano M200 will set you back £45 for full set front and back. Whilst not the most powerful on the market, they are specced on many new ebikes and are adequate for the task.
Unless you intend dropping down a black run in the Alps, they're going to be a vast improvement to what you have currently fitted.