Newbie with really basic questions on GNG 36v install

6511iain

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2012
Hello - I have just taken delivery of a GNG 36v Gen 2 kit. Previously I have only installed a heinzmann kit - not many wires just a few connectors to plug in.

The GNG has a few more wires. I'm at step 1 which is changing the connectors to bench test the motor with my 36v battery. I am using neutrik 4 pole connectors but getting no activity so far.

There are wires labelled as key lock with switch + as well as PAS and Brake.

I was hoping I could just ignore these and just connect the 2 wires from the battery straight to the control.

The battery is charged and throttle connected.

Any advice much appreciated.

D

Deleted member 4366

The keylock switch has to be connected to activate the controller. I can't remember whether there's one or two wire. If there's one, you connect it to the battery +ve (via a switch if you want). If there's two, you can join them directly or via a switch.

Don't use the keylock switch wire as the main switch because the controller still draws on the battery when it's switched off.

The GNG Gen 2 works very well, but you need a controller that has variable PAS levels to get the best out of it - like this one:
http://www.conhismotor.com/ProductShow.asp?id=319

I tried the 750w one, but it was too powerful at 32 amps, so it broke my drive sprocke. The motor can make massive torque. I'm presently waiting for a new (13T) sprocket.

6511iain

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2012
Thanks for the advice. I am looking forward to getting it fitted.

There is one key lock wire on this controller, so if I understand correctly I connect the key lock wire and the positive motor wire directly to the positive on the battery to bypass the key lock until I get a switch or a new controller.

Thanks for the link too.

D

Deleted member 4366

Thanks for the advice. I am looking forward to getting it fitted.

There is one key lock wire on this controller, so if I understand correctly I connect the key lock wire and the positive motor wire directly to the positive on the battery to bypass the key lock until I get a switch or a new controller.

Thanks for the link too.
There is no positive motor wire unless you mean the thick red controller power wire. Otherwise you're correct.

6511iain

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2012
Still stuck on the basics....

image.jpg

I have run the single key lock wire / switch into the positive controller / battery connection and connected up the battery, throttle and motor. I was planning not to use the brake sensor and PAS so I have left them unattached. Battery is charged. Nothing happening.

What basic knowledge am I missing that will help me get this going?

I have tried to attach a picture of the controller and wiring so you can see what I'm taking about.

Any advice welcome.

D

Deleted member 4366

You've done it correctly, but I bet the your throttle wires don't match. Check that it's red to red, black to black and whatever the last one is.

6511iain

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2012
Thanks - next thing to check....

I will get the Gen 2 Xtracycle moving.
This forum & endless sphere have been great for inspiration & being able to get help & advice is invaluable.

Much appreciated

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
6511iain, I am currently running some checks on your machine. So far, I have not had any success, except to verify the throttle is working correctly. The low tension circuit (5v) is also active.

I have now made up some patch leads so that I can test the high tension (36v) circuit. Your controller will then be connected to my test motor. Your motor will then be connected to my generic controller. Unfortunely, I cannot gain access to the machine again until Tuesday 21st. I will update this thread later on Tuesday as to how the tests go.

Regards
Bob

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Update

The GnG Gen 2 testing is now complete.

Throttle = Healthy
Motor = Healthy
Motor controller = Faulty

The controller could be returned to the vendor for replacement under warrantee. If this proves to be uneconomic, a replacement 36v 350w brushless controller could be purchased for around £23. Several to choose from on Ebay.

36v 350w Brushless controllers

D

Deleted member 4366

What fault have you found? Are you sure that the phase sequence is correct?

6511iain

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2012
Hello Bob

Thanks for taking a look - I'll order one of the controllers that D8veh recommended. I'll collect the bike from Emotion and move on to the next stage.

6511iain

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2012
Next request for help on my super slow gen2 xtracycle build....

After finding out the original controller was not working I bought a controller & throttle from conhismotor. This arrived after a few weeks so I had my next try at connecting things to see if I could finally see the motor running.

Mmm not there yet.

ebike led1.jpgebike w1.jpg

I have tried to show in the photo's what's going on.

-battery charged and giving out 38v
-throttle lights up
-led display shows battery charged

motor has 2 connectors - 1 with 5 wires that nicedly matches one on the controller.
Other controller outputs are labelled in the photo as:-
c1 - 2 x white wires - lights or pedelec sensor?
c2 - 3 wires - red, green, black - brake cut out?
c3 - 3 fat wires - blue, yellow, green - shown here connector to the motor
c4 - 2 x wires - blue & black

ebike w2.jpg

I have wired up the battery, plugged in the throttle & display, connected both motor bits & assumed I can ignore what I assume to be the pedelec sensor, lights & brake cut out.

Nothing happens...no power seems to get through to the motor.

So here I am again asking for some help in working out what to connect to what and hoping its something really simple.

Any advice welcome.

D

Deleted member 4366

Check that the colours match on the throttle connector: red to red, black to black and signal to signal. The same on the PAS if it's connected.

When you get it going, you might that it runs backwards, so reverse one pair of phase wires. Don't use more than 1/4 throttle until you're dure it's running correctly. Even though it doesn't run, it can drae massive current with incorrect phase/hall sequence that can damage the controller.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

6511iain

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2012
Next instalment in what is proving to be a long build.

Collected the bike today from Emotion where Bob helped diagnose that the Conhis controller I bought wasn't working. This was controller no. 2 as the original GNG one didn't work either.

Anyway I was keen after several months to end up with a working bike so he guys at emotion hooked up a Cyclotrity controller and throttle. So finally the bike works. The good stuff is that even with a 36v 250 watt 14a controller it's good on the hills, the not so good is that it tops out at 10 mph.

So I'm happy that the GNG will in the end get me a hill climbing cargo bike, but I still need to get the right controller wired in. I'm a bit reluctant to just buy another as the last 2 have either been defective or my technical incompetence has blown them whilst wiring them up.

Does anyone have a suitable controller spare they could offer for sale that they know works before I buy direct from china again? I think I'm after a 36v 350w 22a controller.

Cheers

D

Deleted member 4366

I think I have one of the original GNG controllers that I didn't use. I'll have a look tomorrow. I find it difficult to believe that two controllers didn't work. I must have bought 50 controllers now, and I've never had one that didn't work. It's not easy to destroy them either without knowing. If you connect the battery the wrong way round, they go with a bit of a bang and smoke nicely, but that's about it. If you want to send your two faulty ones, I'll have a look at them for you. Those Conhismotor ones are expensive. It'd be a shame to chuck it.

In the meantime please send me your address by personal message, and could you take a photo of your controllers connectors, so that I can see what type of battery connector you've got and the others.

D

Deleted member 4366

Both controllers work perfectly, as I suspected. I just connected them up, and they worked straight away on my GNG Gen 2. You must've somehow connected them incorrectly. Did you connect the ignition (key-switch) wires? In case you didn't, I soldered it directly to the battery connector on the GNG controller, so that you can't forget. The Conhismotor one has two wires that have to be shorted (orange and yellow). I've left in a loop of wire which connects them as a temporary measure in them in case you want to use an ignition switch, although a switch is unnecessary because you can switch off at the panel. If you don't want a separate switch, just cut the connector off and twist the wires together, then insulate them. Don't let them touch anything when live because they carry battery voltage .

When you use the Conhismotor controller, don't forget that it brings immense power to the motor, so always be gentle on the throttle, or use the pedals to start. I was lazy, and just charged off in top gear, but the torque from the motor smashed the sprocket. I still haven't been able to get the correct replacement, so if your motor burns out, I'll have the sprocket.

I'll ship them back to you tomorrow. Then you'll have four working controllers. That should keep you going for a while.

6511iain

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2012
Dave you have been a fantastic help in this project. Here's a bit of an update on the journey.

The GNG Gen2 Xtracycle is up and running using the GNG 22A Contoller from Dave. For some reason I couldn't get my original Gen 2 or the Conhis Controller working.

Performance was what I was hoping for 20mph & can haul me & 2 kids up steep hills with the benefit of the gears.

In my initial setting up of the kit I didn't line up the engine sprocket & chainring properly which meant the freewheel bearings got stressed, loose & wobbly. I did a bit of browsing and bought a chainring from Eciplse Cycles with a better freewheel to try & improve the quality. With a bit of tinkering with chainring sizes its in place and working more smoothly than the original with an 11t engine sprocket from GNG to get the gearing right.

Although I'm pleased with the set up I kept looking at the Conhis controller and wondering how to get that running so I had another go at setting it up checking everything according to the trouble shooting checklist Dave mailed me. All appears to be fine with the set up however no action from the motor.

Battery voltage - 39v
Throttle voltage - 4.3v
Throttle signal - varies as it should
Hall connectors - vary when motor turns
LCD & throttle lights all on

In the end I checked & checked again and then put the GNG controller back on.

Overall for me the kit is good but has been a more involved install than I was planning. Still helps me learn & everytime I ride it I find something else to fettle with which is part of the pleasure. Chain tensioners are on my list now.

D

Deleted member 4366

Did the wires on the hall connector match? Sometimes the outer two colours have to be swapped.

I've got mine going again now that I've got the replacement 9T sprocket. I set it up properly this time with 20aH battery, charge socket and remote battery switch. It's fantastic with that Conhismotor controller. I really love it again now, and my rim and spokes should come this week. Then I can fit the Nuvinci. You'll have to get iyour Conhismotor controller sorted. When you've connected it up, take a few photos of the connections, so that I can see what's wrong. It worked on mine, so there's nothing wrong with it.

Here's mine. Show us yours!

6511iain

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2012
bike.jpg

Hopefully this works & the upload shows up. Here is the machine in all its glory. If you look closely you can see the careful use of zipties holding the chain tensioner in place. The new chain ring is much bigger than the original and obsures the bolt to adjust the angle of the jockey wheel so there's a lovely bodge in place.

I'll have another go with the Conhis Controller and upload photos over the weekend to see if we can crack it. Cheers