Newbie with really basic questions on GNG 36v install

6511iain

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2012
Ok I'm having another go at getting the Conhis Controller to work.

I have connected it all up & its the same as before with nothing happening even though it all seems to be connected right. So I have worked through the Dave checklist taking photo's of the voltmeter at each stage in the hope that someone can spot what's up.

Step 1 - Battery & Power

Battery v.jpg

Battery voltage looks fine at 39.1v. I do have 2 fuses (I had the battery all taped up & forgot there was a fuse so added another..) and switch on route to the controller. The reading is taken from the connector after all of this so all looks OK.

Key on throttle is turned on and lights are showing on the throttle & the LCD turns on and shows battery charged.

LCD on.jpg

Step 2 - Voltage to Throttle

Throttle v.jpg

Voltage 4.3v taken across Red & Black Throttle wires - a bit lower than the 5v suggested on the Dave Checklist.

Step 3 - Throttle Signal

Throttle signal low v.jpgThrottle v high.jpg

Voltage across throttle black & signal wires varies from 0.83v and 3.58v in line with expected range.

Step 4 - Halls Connector

Red & Black shows 4.97v

halls red & black.jpghalls 1l.jpghalls 1h.jpghall2 l.jpghalls 2h.jpghalls 3 h.jpg

Then testing all the other colours to black & rotating the motor. All show fluctuating voltages as I understand they should.

So there's the puzzle all connected up - all looks fine according to the checklist unless the 4.3v throttle is an issue. But no life to the motor.

Throttle, LCD & ley on/off are all Conhis & came with the kit so connectors just plug in & all looks ok. Other connection appear fine.

I assume the halls & phase wires are not reversed as it works with Dave's old GNG controller with the colours matched.

throttle & lcd connection.jpghalls & phase.jpg

Any inspiration welcome.

D

Deleted member 4366

I'd say that it's almost certainly a problem with the hall/phase wire connections or sequence.

First, check the hall connections. On the controller side, measure the voltage between the black and each of the thee colours (green blue and yellow) whilst rotating the motor backwards (not easy). You should see the voltage of each switch on and off as the motor turns.

After that, you need to test all 36 possibilities of connection sequence. Three of the 36 should make it go forward and three backwards. You can get false positives where the motor runs roughly or smoothly with high power consumption. but quite quickly you should find a sequence that does something to show that it's a sequence issue. If nothing happens after about 6 tries, then the cause is probably somewhere else.

Don't use full throttle until you've got it running properly.

All tests should be done without the brakes connected.

6511iain

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2012
Ok - I have tried changing the green yellow and blue halls into different positions and no activity. I assume I need to keep trying different combinations including the phase wires in different positions and red and black halls.

The advise is much appreciated as always.

6511iain

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2012
Ok - I have tried various combinations on the halls and phase wires with no luck. Is there a anything else I can check or a more systematic way of checking the combinations you mention?