News: battery fire at European maker BMZ

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
KARLSTEIN-DETTINEN, Germany - The quickly growing e-Bike market is facing a huge new problem. In addition to the long lead times in general for e-Bikes due to rising demand, e-Bike makers might soon have additional delivery problems: the factory of the main European battery supplier, BMZ (Batterien Montage Zentrum), burned down last week.

More at Bike Europe - News: Setback For E-Bike Industry

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
For us in the UK it's only likely that BionX, Heinzmann and the Gazelle Innergy model will be affected, fortunately very much the minority market with the Innergy barely into the customer market yet.

Also I think it could be only be the NiMh battery for the BionX 250 watt European version affected.

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
So are the Panasonic batteries in the Kalkhoffs ok then?

John

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes John. they are made by Matsushita (Panasonic parent company) in Japan.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
we had quite a serious fire at work in cleaners store where new battery powered floor cleaners were on charge.... there was a water fog system installed which prevented the spread.

wondering if battery charging in doors may carry some risk of fire?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes it does Eddie, and we have one member at least who swears he will never charge indoors again. In Germany one woman had her house burnt down by a bike battery which caught fire.

That's the downside, but it's not all bad news. Most of the troubles came from the older Li-ion Cobalt type, and they were superceded by Li-ion manganese which are very much safer. Another type, NiMh, can under certain circumstances generate huge heat and melt down, but NiMh chargers these days generally have three cutout methods to ensure the charge stops before there's any danger of that.

In conclusion though, I would never charge a battery indoors when I'm out, but am happy to do it when I'm indoors and near enough to the battery to know if something starts going wrong.

If trouble ever occurs, pick up the battery with gloved or wrapped hands as they can get seriously hot, then either throw it into a garden and stay well clear or put it into a bucket of cold water to cool and finish it's collapse.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Mmmm... think I will charge mine in the shed:)

prState

Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada
I'm inside when I'm charging, but sometimes I'm asleep! So, I suppose that doesn't count for much safety.

As to battery fires, are they most likely in the first several charges? Or can it happen at any time? I was wondering about this, because it seems that some of laptop fires I've heard about -- well, I at least got the impression they had been using the devices for awhile before they caught fire. (Or at least there was no indication in the articles, that they had just bought them)

prState

Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada
Also, anyone remember when a major computer memory maker factory burnt up. All the prices of RAM went up after that.

Is it possible it will still affect all battery prices?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I doubt it prState, as far as e-bikes are concerned. The Chinese manufacturers are already concious of how much their own prices have risen and the bar on sales that is, so I doubt they'd want to worsen that.

rustyrocker

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 6, 2008
I have recently been enlightened by a comment from a new member of staff at work, who previously worked for a battery manufacturer.

When I mentioned my Pro Connect, and its Lithium battery, she warned of the volatility of this material during the manufacturing process, particularly if any moisture came into contact with it, causing a fire, but stressed it was only during manufacture.

It did get me to thinking though. What if I crashed the bike and broke the battery casing, and it was raining?:eek:

I now ride just a little bit more carefully as a result. (only a bit, mind)

Mick

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Don't worry Mick, breaking the battery casing does nothing, the cells within are well contained with their own housings, and the form of the lithium in the content is not inherently dangerous in today's manganese cathode types.

The test battery I've been running all this year arrived from China by courier with it's casing smashed apart and I've used it all the time stuck together with duct tape, 3500 miles and over 250 charges since January 14th.