News: Power-assisted cycle trailer boosts electric mobility

Pedelecs

Editorial
May 20, 2015
Nuwiel GmbH was founded by three engineers in 2016. Their vision is to change urban delivery and transportation with their powered bicycle trailer, designed to carry the cyclist’s load autonomously, while freeing cities from congestion and pollution in the process.

The company say Nuwiel’s intelligent, patent-pending technology means the electrically assisted trailer automatically follows the movement of the bicycle in speeding up, slowing down or braking.

Full story: http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/news/power-assisted-cycle-trailer-boost-electric-mobility/

• Informative
Reactions: VictoryV and Gaz

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
I think that would appeal to me if I used a trailer. The idea that the load doesn't feel like a load you're having to lug would do it for me.

Gaz

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing
D

Deleted member 4366

That's a very interesting concept. It seems to circumvent regulations. I see it as the same category as motor-assisted caravans - the ones with electric motors for manoeuvring into position, not motorhomes. Are there regulations on them?

• Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There have been a number of powered trailers over the years, Tony Castles was selling one in the 1990s powered by the Currie motor unit. Also back then the Dutch produced some, the one below was intended for solo bikes as well as trikes.

I've never seen anything definitive about their legal status, but believe they just count as one e-bike once coupled. That was a problem in the UK for two wheel powered trailers up to 6th April 2015, since the law back then didn't allow 4 or more wheel e-bikes, but it does now.

• Informative
Reactions: VictoryV

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Niche market product with limited utility for me (who has a trailer, soon two...). It doesn't help the rider it just makes the load "neutral" to pull so the rider will still have to get him/herself up hills. As stated useful for inner city deliveries - London yes, Wellington no...

http://www.bike-eu.com/sales-trends/nieuws/2017/6/big-car-drivetrain-maker-forms-joint-venture-for-developing-e-bike-drives-10130376

ZF, worldwide one of the largest automotive suppliers specializing in drive train technology, has established a joint venture with Magura, BrakeForceOne and Unicorn for developing electric drive solutions for e-bikes. The joint venture is to “help shape this growing market and to further drive technological advances.”

Now that is a whole lot more interesting! A company with some serious clout.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc