next new bike help

brookesy

Pedelecer
May 6, 2007
Hi, I have just sold my sakura cruiser, to upgrade to something lighter. the sakura was very quick, especially on the pullaway from standstill! Im not sure if the chap who owned it before me did something to override the legal 15mph but it felt more like 25 sometimes. So now to buy a new bike, I love the comfort of the more laid back style, rather than leaning over the handlebars type, but love the speedy response. I would be really grateful for any suggestions. Tried out an izip yesterday and it was awful! Powabyke windsor Lpx is the next tryout, yes , help really appreciated.thanks

electric.mike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2007
grimsby
brookesy
as you can see by my signature i have the sakura cruiser and a powabyke and you are right the sakura is under rated but for me it was not powerful enough my wife at 11 stone can fly along on hers but they are a great smooth relaxed ride.
i got the powabyke for more power for towing and more range it does both with ease but, isn't there always a but, its heavier than the sakura even with its alloy frame, its more agricultural and i understand the lithium battery is £300 more, imo not worth it.
try the powabyke but don't expect any help setting off, the power is throttle controlled and doesn't come on until you are moving as i say its a great bike for me but you have to have my needs for it to be a good buy.
as a user not an armchair critic;) ask me any questions you want.
mike

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Going upmarket, the most laid back bike combined with real power for hill climbing etc is the eZee Cadence, cruiser style and very comfortable, real armchair stuff.

brookesy

Pedelecer
May 6, 2007
thankyou for your reply, I think I might buy another Sakura, a new one this time, as I liked the take off from standstill, an ezee liv or sprint city, I dont really understand the variable assist on the cruiser but I really like it. Does anyone have one of the others I have mentioned? I dont live in a hilly area, East Sussex, and I am a lady rider. thanks

brookesy

Pedelecer
May 6, 2007
yes i have looked at the cadence too, also a powercycle Windsor. Its so difficult isnt it with so many on the market. Yes, armchairy and fast is definitely me.

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
Does anyone have one of the others I have mentioned?
Hi Brookesy,

I have a Sprint, it pulls away from a standing start very smartly, even without pedaling, it will tackle steep hills, again no need to pedal except on the steepest and will easily reach 16 mph on the level with minimal effort.

Mine's an earlier model with 3 speed internal hub gears but the later ones have 7 speeds, which along with the rear brake are designed to function for high milages with little or no maintenance.

On the comfort side the bike has soft front suspension, a sprung seat post supporting a very wide and luxurious soft saddle.

In spite of all I've just said I make make most journeys on my other bike, an Ezee Torq with a hard narrow saddle, no suspension and more pedaling required.... but I think it's more fun. :D

Ian

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
Hi brookesy & welcome to the forum :)

It's good that you are trying out the bikes before choosing!

My only experience is with the bikes at 50cycles I tried before I chose my bike: I was looking at an Izip too, but there was no comparison with the Liv I tried - the Liv was a far superior ride, quite a responsive "zippy" feel to the motor while laid back style at the same time, and very easy to use 3 hub-gears (can change gear when stationary too!) via a right-hand twist-grip changer :) has front suspension like the sprint and a comfy saddle, not sure about the seatpost suspension but I think there is. I haven't tried a sprint so can't compare, but it compares very favourably with a cadence I tried which seemed a bit heavier with its strong build - gel-filled tyres etc? I don't know how the Liv's weight compares to a sakura, but it seems on the lighter weight side, especially with the Li battery as standard now (I think that's still right?) and in comparison with the izip & the older heavier ebikes. 15mph max though ;)

If you haven't done so, the ezee Liv thread on this forum is worth a read for more discussion & information.

I was going to point out the powacycle/byke confusion but I see you clarified
that :)

I haven't tried any powacycle bikes, but I think I'd be right in saying the Liv motor is higher power than the Windsor's? (sorry guys, but I'll stand corrected if I'm wrong?) so would give more torque from a standstill and better hill climbing if you ever need it, but the windsor may possibly give more range for the same battery capacity if the motor output is less... probably not much in it though and I don't know how the LX & ezee Li batteries compare power wise, but both should give a healthy range.

Too much information?!! Depends if range is an issue for you I guess!

Hope that helps you in your choice anyhow :)

P.S. I chose a Torq though for similar reasons to Ian, but that's not really a bike many "ladies" would prefer I guess (again, I'll stand corrected if necessary!)!!!!

Stuart.

Last edited:

electric.mike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2007
grimsby
brookesy
as flecc said the cadence is up market compared with your cruiser, but as you say you would like something lighter it isn't,according to my checks it comes in at 29.6kg with the sakura at 30kg.
mike

brookesy

Pedelecer
May 6, 2007
oh thakns so much you have all been a great help. Looks like a sprint, cadence, Liv...for response and comfort.Do all ebikes throttle off from standstill without pedalling? sorry, I sound lazy,maybe I should get a motorbike! just joking. As said before, I have no hill problems. thanks again

MaryinScotland

Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2006
Dumfries, SW Scotland
Hi Brooksey.

My main requirement in an electric bike is light weight, because I have to carry it upstairs at the end of every day. I've got the Urban Mover UM55 "Cruiser". Their website - u r b a n m o v e r - claims a weight of 22.6kg. According to my own scales, it's a little heavier than that, but certainly under 25 kg.

I like an upright riding position, but with the UM55, I've got the handlebars as low as they go, and that's only just low enough. I'm 5ft 5in. I wouldn't recommend that model for anyone much shorter than me, but there are other UM models which have similar motors. It's a comfortable ride. I don't have the optional "torque sensor" on the pedals, but there is a simple sensor that knows when the pedals are turning. Also a twist-grip throttle (on British models) which will pull you away from a standstill if you want.

If you don't twist the throttle, then the motor starts when you turn the pedals - after one or two turns, you feel the power kicking in. On the level, with the pedals turning, you get maximum power which will move the bike along at 15 mph. If I want to do any work myself, I need to go up to high gear and pedal up to that speed, to the point where the motor starts to fade out. I've got one long hill on my ride to work, around 10%. The motor can't tackle that without my help. That's a low-gear job. With me pedalling hard enough to know I'm working, but not getting exhausted or sweaty, we go up at 7-8 mph.

If you use the throttle, the pedal control gets disconnected. The throttle gives you some control over the amount of power, unlike the all-or-nothing pedal control. But the throttle control will only power the bike up to 10 mph - it doesn't give you full power. I don't use it a lot, but it's handy if I'm following somebody slow up a hill where it's not safe to overtake.

Sorry to be so wordy - it took me a while to work out the details of the UM control system, so I thought the info might be useful to you or anyone else who is shopping around.

Mary

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
Yes Brookesy, I too was disappointed with the izip I tried - hard to pedal and motor power seemed rather weedy: both of which surprised me, especially the motor since curries are highly regarded as powerful motors: maybe its because the bike + battery weigh a ton!! (steel frame + SLA battery = 36-40kg approx).

My intention was to point out that for the price difference the Liv is a far better bike in every respect (apart from only 3 gears and upright ride style, but neither of those seem a problem for you :)).

As for throttle from a standstill, I think all the ezee bikes you mention will do that (it depends on the bike's controller I think) - it puts a bigger strain on the battery, so you'd get slightly better range overall if you pedal a bit first before engaging motor, but its not essential if range isn't a big issue.

They also (ezee) all have a choice of "pedelec" mode (throttle works motor only if you pedal) or ebike mode, where the throttle works the motor without any pedalling needed as you say. Some other bikes may function similarly but I have no experience or info regarding them :). The motor is throttle-controlled-only on these bikes i.e. the pedalling does not directly control the motor: the twistgrip throttle must be used to control the motor power level in either mode.

The control system sounds different on the UrbanMover bikes (well done for your explanation Mary! They're much easier to use than to describe!) - if you don't want to use a twistgrip throttle all the time (it can get a bit wristachey at times!) then a pedal or torque sensor may be an alternative option, but depending on its implementation you may find you have less control over the motor power to leg power ratio when pedalling, I hope that makes sense!

How does your sakura do this? If you're happy with the way it works maybe you could consider looking for similar?

Hope that all helps & good luck with your choice Brookesy :D

Stuart.

Last edited:

MazB

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2006
Hi Mary,

Great review of the UM55 - I've just ordered one with the Li-Pol battery, which they say makes the bike 30% lighter, 50% more range and 100% longer battery life - we shall wait and see as I have to wait another week for it to be delivered :( .

I'm 5ft and a bit, and when I tried it out it was just about right for my height - tip toeing to reach the floor while seated, maybe my legs have grown LOL.

I'm looking forward to getting it, but I'm terrible at waiting.

Do you actually like the bike? or are you thinking of investing in another one?

Thanks,
Maz.

electric.mike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2007
grimsby
stuart
How does your sakura do this?
the sakura has a pedal assist i don't know if its pedal speed or pedal pressure but you don't need the throttle for this if you use the throttle it over rides the pedal sensor ( if i have understood your question)
mike

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
Thanks for the info mike, yes that's what I was asking :D so the sakura can be easily used "throttle free" by pedal sensor - different from the ezees which always require twistgrip throttle use for the motor. That's an important consideration for comfort of use of a new purchase I'd say.

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
simple throttle mod

Hi Coops and Brooksey.
If holding onto the throttle makes your wrist ache ( it's the joint in the base of the thumb that is affected by my throttle) you can try this modification: nothing is destroyed or irrevocably changed.
Look underneath the throttle ( it may even be on top) and locate an allen-key grub screw - this fixes the body of the throttle to the handlebar. Slack it off just enough to move the body of the Throttle along the bar. No need to pull the throttle right off the bar.
Then (may be easier with the help of another - it's like a three handed job) push the throttle hard onto the handlebar so that the inside of the rubber grip pushes hard against the handlebar end (inside the throttle body). Tighten the allen-ket grub screw and check for "stickiness". The throttle should stay in the position where you left it when you remove your throttle operating hand from the throttle. You can then excercise the hand to restore circulation without losing speed. You can adjust the adjustment to perfection now you've got the principle.
Peter

DBCohen

Pedelecer
May 2, 2007
Manchester
oh thakns so much you have all been a great help. Looks like a sprint, cadence, Liv...for response and comfort.Do all ebikes throttle off from standstill without pedalling? sorry, I sound lazy,maybe I should get a motorbike! just joking. As said before, I have no hill problems. thanks again
Brooksy,

Be aware - 50Cycles have been unable to give me an anticipated restock date for the Cadence. They suggested to me that it might even be about to be phased out in favour of the new Forza and Forte.

Good as the new 'F' bikes may be, that will be annoying if true - as they are a few hundred pounds more expensive.

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
Be aware - 50Cycles have been unable to give me an anticipated restock date for the Cadence.
While they may look different the Cadence is actually very similar to the Sprint, obviously the frame is different, the handlebars are different, the Cadence has slightly fatter tyres and triple crown forks as opposed to the Sprints double crown but otherwise they're pretty much the same. Wheel size, motor, controller, chainwheel and hub gears are all the same so performance and range should be more or less identical. The Sprint has a big comfy saddle and if fitted with Cadence style handlebars few people would be able to feel any difference in the ride.

Ian.

DBCohen

Pedelecer
May 2, 2007
Manchester
While they may look different the Cadence is actually very similar to the Sprint, obviously the frame is different, the handlebars are different, the Cadence has slightly fatter tyres and triple crown forks as opposed to the Sprints double crown but otherwise they're pretty much the same. Wheel size, motor, controller, chainwheel and hub gears are all the same so performance and range should be more or less identical. The Sprint has a big comfy saddle and if fitted with Cadence style handlebars few people would be able to feel any difference in the ride.

Ian.
Ian,

Yes, I surmised as much from the available specs. Still, if you want a crossbar style rather than a step through frame, and Cadence is gone from the range, then you will have to go up the the F bikes (assuming you want similar hill/gear performance to the Sprint).

Which is a substantial hike in loose change...