next new bike help

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Ian,

Still, if you want a crossbar style rather than a step through frame, and Cadence is gone from the range, then you will have to go up the the F bikes (assuming you want similar hill/gear performance to the Sprint).
- - - or add a crossbar! See here.

MaryinScotland

Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2006
Dumfries, SW Scotland
Hi Mary,

Great review of the UM55 - I've just ordered one with the Li-Pol battery,
<Snip>
Do you actually like the bike? or are you thinking of investing in another one?
Thanks,
Maz.
Hi Maz.

I don't like the control system on the UM as much as a previous bike I had, Heinzmann motor on a Dawes hybrid bike. That was entirely throttle-controlled, nicely progressive. The twist-grip spring wasn't too fierce, so I found it perfectly comfortable. I want to get a bit of exercise when I cycle. With the Heinzmann, I would ride on the flat using no power at all. If I met a headwind, I'd add a little motor power. On a hill, I'd call for everything it could give me. With the UM, the motor is belting out all the power it can, whether I want it or not.

That's not to say the Heinzmann kit is perfect; it's rather heavy by modern standards (that was why I sold my Dawes/Heinzmann). And they still mount the battery on the rear rack, which is not a good place for it.

If I ever find a bike that's as light as the UM and as controllable as the Heinzmann, I might change. But I should really finish paying for the UM first!

Mary

MazB

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2006
Hi Mary

Thanks for the explanation.....

I can see that I am going to see a lot of difference then, as at the moment I have the Currie Motor lobbed on my Trek bike which like the Heinzman gives me full control of when I need the motor.

Its going to be quiet scary at first I suppose if the motor kicks in when I actually don't need it. I presume after a while I will get used to it.

I'm actually excited (sad I know!!) about having a real leccy bike for once, it will be so nice not to have 2 lead acid bricks sitting on my rack :D.

If I ever find a bike that's as light as the UM and as controllable as the Heinzmann, I might change.
Hopefully one day we will all have the choice of the exact specs that we individually want .... yes I know me in dreamland now!!

Maz.

DBCohen

Pedelecer
May 2, 2007
Manchester
- - - or add a crossbar! See here.
Flecc,

I salute your ingenuity - but such a solution is beyond my meagre DIY capabilities.

I was trying to make the point that the progression in pricing that eZee currently have in their range could be lost if they start dropping models in favour of the top-end F series bikes.

Speaking as someone who is trying to choose how to get in to these products, this is very frustrating.

I want to get my bike on CycleScheme, which has a £1000 limit on the tax relief. Even if 50Cycles give me a £1000 invoice, anything over that will have to be put in directly without tax relief - so if they drop Cadence at £1100 for an F bike at £1350-1400, that makes the range less optimal from my point of view.

Which is the sort of thing that makes you start looking at competitor's ranges...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Flecc,

I was trying to make the point that the progression in pricing that eZee currently have in their range could be lost if they start dropping models in favour of the top-end F series bikes.

Speaking as someone who is trying to choose how to get in to these products, this is very frustrating.
I agree with you and have made exactly this point previously, the need for a normally styled crossbar Sprint equivalent that sits between the Liv and the higher priced Torq and now F range.

DBCohen

Pedelecer
May 2, 2007
Manchester
I agree with you and have made exactly this point previously, the need for a normally styled crossbar Sprint equivalent that sits between the Liv and the higher priced Torq and now F range.
Flecc,

As I am new around here, have the 50cycles people made any noises to anyone about such a bike happening?

Thanks,

David.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No David, I've no information about such a bike. Given the extent of the range and the fact that the F series bikes have just been announced, I'd be surprised if one appeared any time in the near future.

As you implied, it rather leaves the door open for some other bikes in the £750 to £1000 region, though these are mostly Chinese "parts bin" jobs I wouldn't want to own in many cases.

DBCohen

Pedelecer
May 2, 2007
Manchester
No David, I've no information about such a bike. Given the extent of the range and the fact that the F series bikes have just been announced, I'd be surprised if one appeared any time in the near future.

As you implied, it rather leaves the door open for some other bikes in the £750 to £1000 region, though these are mostly Chinese "parts bin" jobs I wouldn't want to own in many cases.
OK. Leaves me with three options:

1) Buy a Sprint, and learn to love step through
2) Pay the extra for a Torq, and learn to love pedalling hard on hills
3) Hope that 50Cycles can come through with a Cadence

Makes choosing a bike for test viewing difficult, though - I don't want to view everything they supply. The carbon footprint for all that travelling to view will negate everything I'll save with the bike!

Dell

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 3, 2007
Dont know if this has changed but in my Sprint manual they mention 700c/19 inch frame version of a Sprint coming in the near future.
Just to confuse things.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That certainly does appear to confuse the issue Dell, but that message may have been aimed at the US market. It sounds more like that since the 700c wheel at 28" effective diameter with typical Kenda tyre would put the speed way beyond our legal limits, and anyway would work better with the US 350 watt Sprint motor version.

That guess could be wrong though, but since it's still referred to as a Sprint, it would probably still be step-through.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
OK. Leaves me with three options:

1) Buy a Sprint, and learn to love step through
2) Pay the extra for a Torq, and learn to love pedalling hard on hills
3) Hope that 50Cycles can come through with a Cadence
Let's hope they are lucky with the Cadence for you. If not, try to get a trial on the Torq, since your cycling ability might be sufficient for those hills. There's big variations in how it's perceived in that respect. If it's not satisfactory for you and your circumstances, the Sprint can then be your fall back position.

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
If not, try to get a trial on the Torq, since your cycling ability might be sufficient for those hills.
Good advice as always from Flecc, and believe me, if you put some effort in, the Torq will go up hills, very quickly and it will fly up moderate hills with little effort. it's just not so good at going up hills slowly.

If you test ride in Loughborough you'll not find a worthy hill to try it on, there's plenty of hills 3 or 4 miles to the west but the only hills in the town are the approaches to a couple of railway bridges and an even smaller canal bridge. Better to arrange a test with a demonstrator in your area, I think there's a Torq demonstrator in or near Bury.

Ian

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
Hi again brookesy :)

I noticed you've "inclined" towards a Torq, just thought I'd mention couple of things here (rather than mess up your classifieds post) for your information:

To get the best out of a Torq, some pedalling is required especially from standing starts since its motor is geared for speed, not acceleration per se: it does accelerate of course, and it does have good motor power, but is more specifically designed for "commuting" at speed rather than "speeding away" from standstill or low speed climbs.

In other words, by its design the Torq benefits more than most in performance terms from pedalling, especially from a stationary position, and would not be I think the best accelerator by motor alone.

The bike also comes with high gears as standard i.e. pedalling at low speed is hard since low gears are absent. This can be fairly easily changed by a relatively minor modification to give lower overall gears if required, and though they'd still not be as low as most bikes, they'd be fine for using with the motor power and sufficient for moderate slopes without motor if required.

Also, you should be aware that its a big bike and those below a minimum height may find it too big.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Torq and its differences, without which I would probably still be looking for an electric, but as you may have gathered even its most ardent fan would admit its designed & best used mainly for a specific purpose i.e. "commuting" type use - A to B as easily as possible!

Stuart.

Last edited:

slimtim

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2007
Birmingham
26 inches or 700 mm

just wondered if the wheel size should be a significant consideration. The Wisper is 26 and the Torq 700 (correct me if wrong please).

Is this significant in terms of rolling speed vs robustness?

(I'm still waiting to find out if the C to W tax break is going to be set up at work...which is why I am still on the fence with this).

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
Hi Slimtim

Those sizes are correct, the tyred Torq wheel is effectively 28" in old money :D.

In terms of rolling speed the difference between 26" & 28" is marginal and tyre choice is much more likely to affect it; a 26" wheel is also usually similarly slightly easier to accelerate, but since that varies with wheel weight not size, its possible a lightweight 28" wheel could accelerate easier than a heavier 26" wheel :rolleyes:.

I think the strength of the wheels depends on the build quality & strength of the materials used, but while heavier components might be stronger they would also affect acceleration as above...

In terms of a hub motor ebike though, the relation between the gearing (rpm) of the motor and the wheelsize is more critical, since a high rpm motor in a bigger wheel gives more speed but less low speed torque for hills (Torq) while a motor with the same power output but lower rpm will give lower speed (say 15mph typically) but better hill-climbing :).

Hope that helps?

Stuart.

slimtim

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2007
Birmingham
oops coops

just seen your post on the next thread up re: wheels sorry could have looked around before commenting.

Then again, by posting here will this thread move up a rank and so this note should read the next post down...