Nexus 3 hub with Shimano roller brake

GloveMakingMan

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2014
Bideford, North Devon
instagram.com
I believe the best brakes for hilly terrain are hydraulic brakes. Bikes with torque sensor don't need brake sensors but the rest does. It's a shame that only a few brands make a version with sensor like Tektro and Zoom. It seems the most economical compromise for home builts to be front hydraulic without sensor and rear mechanical disc with sensor. If it were my bike, I'd put something like this to the front:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-M395-Hydraulic-MTB-Disc-Brake-FRONT-BLACK-/291217529004
The Zephyr B has got hydraulic brakes. Has it arrived yet?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
yes, ask Andy. He's tried it. Are you thinking what I am thinking? trading in the CDN for the B?

Last edited:
Reactions: GloveMakingMan

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I have limited experience of these brakes, but I thought that a lack of grease can initially make them lock the wheel with very little brake lever pressure and then fail shortly afterwards unless grease is applied. Once they have failed, there is little that can be done to repair them.

The brake internals in the photograph look a bit dry to me ( it may be my eyes). It could be worth cleaning out the old stuff the best you can and then re-greasing.
That's correct, they can dangerously lock up if dry and can also squeal horrendously. They are designed to work with grease on all parts, including the braking surfaces. The braking action is due to the self-servo pincer action and not simple friction.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I'd try trade in. If you don't ask, you won't know.

GloveMakingMan

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2014
Bideford, North Devon
instagram.com
Well, i've learned from this thread and other sites that these roller brakes are not suitable for hilly terrain. So, i've got a bike that climbs hills well but when i get to going down the other side i am rapidly wearing out my back brake trying to keep my speed down. Is there a speed limiter that can be fitted to a bike, i've heard something about a device that slows you down when you pedal backwards?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the only non-mechanical way of slowing you down while descending a hill is regen, using a direct drive motor as a brake and generator to convert mechanical energy to electricity, recharging your battery. I haven't heard of an independent device that you can fit to a bike. Let's see what happens when you re-assemble the roller brake. Also, have you talked to Andy or Hatti yet?

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
I have the luck of having a heatsink disc on mine, but I have had it
Well, i've learned from this thread and other sites that these roller brakes are not suitable for hilly terrain. So, i've got a bike that climbs hills well but when i get to going down the other side i am rapidly wearing out my back brake trying to keep my speed down. Is there a speed limiter that can be fitted to a bike, i've heard something about a device that slows you down when you pedal backwards?
I would not make that a hard rule, my Esprit has a Shimano roller brake but it has a heat sink disc thingy, I live in a very hill area and tend to use it offroad as well on even steeper terrain, the brake has survived around 2,000 km so far feels as good as new.
Certainly not a powerful brake but makes a good rear brake.

GloveMakingMan

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2014
Bideford, North Devon
instagram.com
I have the luck of having a heatsink disc on mine, but I have had it

I would not make that a hard rule, my Esprit has a Shimano roller brake but it has a heat sink disc thingy, I live in a very hill area and tend to use it offroad as well on even steeper terrain, the brake has survived around 2,000 km so far feels as good as new.
Certainly not a powerful brake but makes a good rear brake.
Wonder if i can fit one of these to mine? Sounds good!

GloveMakingMan

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2014
Bideford, North Devon
instagram.com
the only non-mechanical way of slowing you down while descending a hill is regen, using a direct drive motor as a brake and generator to convert mechanical energy to electricity, recharging your battery. I haven't heard of an independent device that you can fit to a bike. Let's see what happens when you re-assemble the roller brake. Also, have you talked to Andy or Hatti yet?
It was a sealed unit with no adjustment possible. i've re-fitted it to bike and it's obviously just the same, very little braking even with the hardest of squeezing! I am contacting woosh today.

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
The old and the new (with cooling fins)
I like the quick release, one less screw and nut for wheel removal.
The disc certainly increases the heat dissipatation area compared to the original, is the new one a larger diameter in the roller brake area it looks like it is?

area

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The brakes are the same, as is the cooling disc. I don't know when the coolling disc was first introduced, but I know of an e-bike model with the Shimano cooling disc on the rear brake as standard 9 years ago.

GloveMakingMan

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2014
Bideford, North Devon
instagram.com
I like the quick release, one less screw and nut for wheel removal.
The disc certainly increases the heat dissipatation area compared to the original, is the new one a larger diameter in the roller brake area it looks like it is?

area
It's not really a quick release, it's well secured. The original securing clip was no good and i could not find another on the internet, anywhere. It's importatnt that the brake body is well secured to the frame (and it must be able to move) so i used two conduit clips , one on top the other. The quick release bolt has got two nuts on the other side. Well strong!

Reactions: trex