Nexus twistgrip shifter question

danfoto

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2010
Sarfeast England
This relates to a Nexus 5 setup on a 2023 Gazelle Grenoble C5HMB. How stiff should the twistgrip be when changing down? Obviously it will need more of a twist going down the gears than up, but mine needs a fair old amount of twisting compared to the 8-speed Nexus on the wife's Batavus (which works t'other way round i.e. towards you for up). Is the resistance to twisting just down to pulling against a strong spring and therefore it is what it is, or is there perhaps a way of adjusting the resistance? Is any of it the rubber of the twisty part dragging on the fixed part?

Whatever, it's not a big deal - more a case of wondering why.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
This relates to a Nexus 5 setup on a 2023 Gazelle Grenoble C5HMB. How stiff should the twistgrip be when changing down? Obviously it will need more of a twist going down the gears than up, but mine needs a fair old amount of twisting compared to the 8-speed Nexus on the wife's Batavus (which works t'other way round i.e. towards you for up). Is the resistance to twisting just down to pulling against a strong spring and therefore it is what it is, or is there perhaps a way of adjusting the resistance? Is any of it the rubber of the twisty part dragging on the fixed part?

Whatever, it's not a big deal - more a case of wondering why.
You're supposed to pause pedalling to take tension off the chain when you shift gear. That's always a problem when you're going up a steep hill unless you have a hub-motor.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You're supposed to pause pedalling to take tension off the chain when you shift gear. That's always a problem when you're going up a steep hill unless you have a hub-motor.
I'm not familiar with it, but if the the OP's Nexus 5 is the current one, as seems likely for a 2023 model, it's apparently the opposite and very different from the original Inter 5. Needing pedalling for an easy change according to this:

"Inter-5 Di2 specification internal gear hubs use pedal power to aid down-shifting resulting in fast and accurate shifts with an exceptionally light feel"

From this link

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I'm not familiar with it, but if the the OP's Nexus 5 is the current one, as seems likely for a 2023 model, it's apparently the opposite and very different from the original Inter 5. Needing pedalling for an easy change according to this:

"Inter-5 Di2 specification internal gear hubs use pedal power to aid down-shifting resulting in fast and accurate shifts with an exceptionally light feel"

From this link
You live and learn, however, it doesn't seem to be working for OP. Isn't Di2 electronic shifting.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You live and learn, however, it doesn't seem to be working for OP. Isn't Di2 electronic shifting.
I don't know, the OP's bike is a pedelec with a Bosch motor and belt drive Nexus hub gear, but that is all I've seen about it.

Maybe the OP is pausing for the change as I would automatically do if I hadn't known of this new system, rather than continuing to pedal.

danfoto

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2010
Sarfeast England
My query was simply that the twistgrip is stiff when rotated "towards me" i.e. when changing down. The actual change is fine.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
My query was simply that the twistgrip is stiff when rotated "towards me" i.e. when changing down. The actual change is fine.
It's stiff because it can't rotate the shift mechanism in the hub. It's nothing to do with the shifter or cable because they're not stiff when you change up. Every hub gears that I've ever tried, including Nuvinci, were difficult to shift when there's load on the chain. It's normally solved by pausing pedalling for a split second or with a gear sensor that pauses the motor when you use a crank motor.

Was yours OK, then suddenly become worse, or was it always like that?

Reactions: danfoto

danfoto

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2010
Sarfeast England
OK ... AFAIK it's always been a bit stiff, so I can now accept that it's how it is. Btw, it's "stiff" when changing down whether or not I pause pedalling, and indeed when stationary with no load on it.

Thank you folks.