No Agattu reviews in forum review section?

SimonHutt

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2007
Cheshire, WA4
A number of forum members have had the benefit of several months experience on their new bikes by now. Any of you willing to come forward and start adding your reviews? I know I would be keen to hear some first hand experiences as I continue to wait for mine :rolleyes: .

Come on, don't be shy!

Simon

SimonHutt

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2007
Cheshire, WA4
...A 'mini' review of my Agattu appears as a PS in my posting headed 'Lafree Battery Replacement'.

When I get a moment I'll do a more comprehensive one.

David
Cheers David, look forward to reading that. Glad you seem to be enjoying the Agattu so far, will be trying mine out on the hills here in Cheshire when it arrives to see if I want to mod the gearing. I may be overestimating my fitness levels! :rolleyes:

Simon

simonbarnett

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 26, 2007
West Hampstead, NW London
Cheers David, look forward to reading that. Glad you seem to be enjoying the Agattu so far, will be trying mine out on the hills here in Cheshire when it arrives to see if I want to mod the gearing. I may be overestimating my fitness levels! :rolleyes:

Simon
It's not shyness here- more a lack of time to put real miles on it yet to make a report worthwhile. early impressions remain good. Jury out on gearing for now. Took it up to Hampstead which is a long grind of a hill and didn't drop below 9mph. When I got there I saw a Sparta Ion in Vita's window- a much better looking bike than I'd thought.

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
Agattu Review

Flecc undertook a comprehensive review 'to end all reviews' of the Agattu.
It must be on the Forum somewhere. Alternatively it may be on a link to his other technical ' stuff' about all manner of useful/indispensable things to do with electric bikes both model specific and general.
For some mysterious reason I cannot find it under any of the more obvious sections.Peter

aaannndddyyy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2007
Norwich Norfolk
Flecc undertook a comprehensive review 'to end all reviews' of the Agattu.
It must be on the Forum somewhere. Alternatively it may be on a link to his other technical ' stuff' about all manner of useful/indispensable things to do with electric bikes both model specific and general.
For some mysterious reason I cannot find it under any of the more obvious sections.Peter
Untitled Page
Try here

C

Cyclezee

When Flecc has reviewed a bike in such a totally professional and comprehensive manner, what else is there left to say?
All I can contribute is the bike is great, does everything I expected:), got a puncture and a broken mudguard, that's it:eek:
Hope that wasn't to long winded:rolleyes:

John;)

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
When Flecc has reviewed a bike in such a totally professional and comprehensive manner, what else is there left to say?
All I can contribute is the bike is great, does everything I expected:), got a puncture and a broken mudguard, that's it:eek:
Hope that wasn't to long winded

John;)
I agree that Flecc's review is thoroughly comprehensive, but I think there is always something else to say about a bike and the different ways that it is used. So keep those comments coming is on the Agattu, please.
BW
musicbooks

p.s. he's good.. but not ominipotent... yet:D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I agree musicbooks, as I've posted many times, I think it's valuable for more than one to reply to queries on the forum, and second opinions are just as valuable in reviews.

I'd be very disappointed if the comprehensive nature of my review suppressed others opinions on the bike.

essexman

Pedelecer
Dec 17, 2007
cb11
I'm constantly updating my blog (see my sig) . I might do a full review of the bike later, but its got rolling impressions and thoughts on the Agattu from a first time pedelec user.

JamesC

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2007
Peterborough, UK
I'm constantly updating my blog (see my sig) . I might do a full review of the bike later, but its got rolling impressions and thoughts on the Agattu from a first time pedelec user.
Enjoyed your blog a lot - expecting first grandchild soon, so passed the link through to our son.

Thanks
James

Erik

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2008
Have anyone tried how much is left when the last LED starts to blink?

I Drained my battery from 3 leds to one blinking going up a 200m long killer incline that’s hard to walk up, but I still had good assistance on the remaing 5 or 6 flattish km’s back.

Larkspur

Pedelecer
Feb 19, 2008
S.W. Herts
Hi Essexman,

I too enjoyed reading your blog. I'm waiting for a Pro Connect and have not ridden any form of e-bike before. If you have time, could you elaborate on your comment that the Agattu climbs better than it goes on the flat. Clearly you are very pleased with the bike - I'm just interested to know if there is some aspect of flat performance that isn't quite what you might have hoped for.

Chris

Erik

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2008
I'll post my comments to Cycledads blog here instead:

I have the step-thru Agattu, and its really good with a child ind a seat behind.
I also enjoy the stability going down steep descents on gravel roads.
Due to the long distance between crank and rear wheel, the childs weight is more forward than on normal bikes.

The brakes give a very confident feel going down ramps where you are supposed to get off your bike and walk on the stairs beside. But I do have a keen eye on Magura HS 11 hydraulic rim brakes.

essexman

Pedelecer
Dec 17, 2007
cb11
Hi Larkspur,

re the bike doing better on the hills than on the flat. The reason is the Panasonic Crank Motor. It only works when your really working. So on the hills it really ramps up and goes, on the flat it gives very little assistance and so probably barely pulls the extra weight of the motor. I went to town today , which has 2 routes of equal length, hilly and very hilly. I went for the very hilly as i knew the bike would do all the work up the hill and it would fly down the hill.

The other reason for the sluggishness on the flat is because its a massive upright heavy town bike. I'm used to a dawes drop handle tourer, which goes very nicely on the flat. I'm sure the front suspension slows it down a little, but i cant fault the handling. Its far superior to the dawes. I live in a hilly area with rough roads and this bike eats them for breakfast:)

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Hi Essexman,

I too enjoyed reading your blog. I'm waiting for a Pro Connect and have not ridden any form of e-bike before. If you have time, could you elaborate on your comment that the Agattu climbs better than it goes on the flat. Clearly you are very pleased with the bike - I'm just interested to know if there is some aspect of flat performance that isn't quite what you might have hoped for.

Chris
Hi Chris !
Just here to help !
I rode the Agattu as a test ride and it does give alot of assistance on the flat.
I am probably a "weak" cyclist so if you are like me you will feel the Benefit.
I tried the Agattu with the Power off, and then on and you can really feel the difference.
I can appreciate though if you are a medium to strong cyclist then the assist may not kick in.
Also I would feel you can get pretty unconscious to the assist on the flat over time, compared to when you first get on it.
Im waiting for the Pro-Connect too.
I see the 50cycles website says in stock within days for the crossbar Agattu now.
Hope it says it next week for the Pro-Connect for us soon.
PS. Got my A to B subscription from 50cycles just now!

Regards Bob

Last edited:

essexman

Pedelecer
Dec 17, 2007
cb11
Hi Chris,

Your right if you turn the assist off on the flat you do notice it. Its just that compared to my lighter touring bike it feels sluggish. It climbs and descends better than the tourer but i slow on the flat.

On the plus side its also damn windy where i live and the heavy agattu handles great in the wind just because of the weight.

Erik

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2008
For flat sections I use the lowest setting, because the medium and high cut out abruptly, giving the feeling of hitting a wall trying to go faster.

Fitting a larger motor sprocket will move the assistance field to higher cadences.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Fitting a larger motor sprocket will move the assistance field to higher cadences.
Higher speeds Erik, not higher cadences, since the bike will go faster for the same pedal cadence with a larger motor sprocket.

A larger rear hub sprocket means higher cadences for a given speed.