No chain and infinite gears - Oyo e-bike with hydraulic drivetrain

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I like the idea but it seems a bit over-engineered to replace a chain.
Here are some comments at the bottom of the web page:

bobrayner 3 days 16 hours ago

What is it about crowdfunding that encourages people to reïnvent the wheel?

NPlus1Bikelight... 3 days 20 hours ago

No more bleeding gears. Wait!

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Trouble is, how do you compete with the 99% efficiency and low cost of a properly set up chain?
You don't, and that's why all the alternatives over time have failed.

This hydraulic one is a variant on the all electric one with dynamo at the crank driving a rear hub motor. That's disappeared without trace and I can't even remember the make now.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
That's disappeared without trace and I can't even remember the make now.
that was the Mando.

Spencer Kelly @ BBC Click did a quick demo on it.
I think he may have inadvertently killed it.
These ideas seem logical on paper until someone tries to make real devices.
I much prefer the incremental approach.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
that was the Mando.

Spencer Kelly @ BBC Click did a quick demo on it.
I think he may have inadvertently killed it.
These ideas seem logical on paper until someone tries to make real devices.
I much prefer the incremental approach.
Thanks Woosh, that's reminded me of the full name, Mando Footloose.

There are occasions when hydraulic drive makes sense. For example the German Linde fork lift trucks have it working well, but it only makes sense there because hydraulic drive is necessary anyway for all the fork lift and tilt functions and the hydraulic smoothing allows use of a single cylinder diesel as the low cost central power source.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Woosh

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
It says that it has "fewer moving parts", but it doesn say what it is that they're comparing it with.
If comparing to a chain drive where each side plate, roller, pin and any dirt seals are added into the parts count, then saying "fewer moving parts" is easily justified.
Just wonder why recourse to a hydrostatic variable speed drive was considered, where the innate properties of a brushless electric motor drive and associated controller could do away with "gear" ratios, and still live in a large hub unit.

Reactions: mike killay

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You don't, and that's why all the alternatives over time have failed.

This hydraulic one is a variant on the all electric one with dynamo at the crank driving a rear hub motor. That's disappeared without trace and I can't even remember the make now.
and they always make them look weird, so nobody wants to buy them, anyway.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
If comparing to a chain drive where each side plate, roller, pin and any dirt seals are added into the parts count, then saying "fewer moving parts" is easily justified.
Just wonder why recourse to a hydrostatic variable speed drive was considered, where the innate properties of a brushless electric motor drive and associated controller could do away with "gear" ratios, and still live in a large hub unit.
it does not say how many moving parts the front and rear hydraulic pump motors have though.
I bet they have more moving parts than a a freehub, a chain and a chainring.
Just look at the shaft drive: well proven, mature product and yet, it did not set the bike world on fire. It goes to show that the current chain drive is still best.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
That's exactly why some people do want to buy them. But obviously not enough such suckers.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I have often wondered about this.
It seems to me that possibly there is one engineer/inventor who knows his stuff and unfortunately he employs Art College graduates, advertising people, and spin doctors rather than more engineers, electricians, electronic engineers.
The result is an oddity that will only appeal to a small number of people, wrapped up in hype and oversell.
Once production starts and complaints come in, there is no-one able to offer proper support and further development.
Meanwhile, the original inventor has moved on to his next cunning idea.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
It seems to me that possibly there is one engineer/inventor who knows his stuff and unfortunately he employs Art College graduates, advertising people, and spin doctors rather than more engineers, electricians, electronic engineers.
The result is an oddity that will only appeal to a small number of people, wrapped up in hype and oversell.
Once production starts and complaints come in, there is no-one able to offer proper support and further development.
Meanwhile, the original inventor has moved on to his next cunning idea.
This is what happens when you let art students loose on bike anatomy...this one will make your eyes tie themselves in knots trying to make sense of it!

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
So many organisations employ "stylist" rather than designers, the stylist having highjack the term designer, in some companies completely.
The stylist should be just a tool in the designer's team, aircraft, cars, bikes etc [ very long listing] designed that way round are far safer than the other way.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I do wonder whether crowdfunding is scam.
All you need is some sort of plausible idea, a few thousand gullible fools and you are in business.
Produce a few early models and go broke.
Who audits the accounts?

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Who audits the accounts?
nobody. You 'gift' the company. The money helps the company develop the product. If it's successful, the company sends you what it promised.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

310mph that will do and got laser guns :p

Reactions: MikelBikel