No more punctures??

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Just been sent this!

Airless tyres 1.jpg

Airless tyres 2.jpg

These tires are airless and are scheduled to be out on the market very soon.

Just think of the impact on existing technology:

A. No more air valves ...
B. No more air compressors at petrol stations ...
C. No more repair kits ...
D. No more flat tires ...
E. Less expensive and more money in the drivers pocket.

Pictures taken in the South Carolina plant of Michelin.

:D (I asume it's someone having fun with photoshop), but wouldn't it be nice?

David

Last edited:

WALKERMAN

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2008
David

I think this is genuine.

Our company has been working with wheels like this for some time.

Just been sent this!

View attachment 1762

View attachment 1763

These tires are airless and are scheduled to be out on the market very soon.

Just think of the impact on existing technology:

A. No more air valves ...
B. No more air compressors at petrol stations ...
C. No more repair kits ...
D. No more flat tires ...
E. Less expensive and more money in the drivers pocket.

Pictures taken in the South Carolina plant of Michelin.

:D (I asume it's someone having fun with photoshop), but wouldn't it be nice?

David

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Genuine

Thanks Walkerman

I read it as genuine and then started to think about it, there were two points that worried me.

1. The friction created by the constant flexing of the ribs would soften the polymer and "deflate" the tyres or crack.

2. Driving at slow speeds through mud and water would cause problems.

I have now done a bit of research and yes they are real, apparently we will be seeing them on the market in the next year or so. Now we just need someone to do the same for bicycle tyres, though it must be on the cards?

All the best

David

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
I saw these quite a long time ago, there was much discussion about it on a motorcycle forum i am a member off. The key problem pointed out there is just as applicable to bicycle use. If you make a curved radius tyre the flex of the "fins" would be restricted, and although that could possibly be overcome, the tyre would only deform on one axis, making for a very solid feel when banked over in a corner, perhaps so much so that grip could be compromised on bike where the pnuematic tyre is the sole suspension?

10mph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 13, 2010
England
Looking at the article on Tweel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, these tyres get hot when run fast, so I assume will have higher rolling resistance than an air and rubber tyre, even at low speeds. Though if you have enough energy in your bike battery then I suppose this does not matter. I own a solid polyurethane tyre from Holland. It is a bit harsher than an air tyre. I have not measured the rolling resistance, but I expect it is worse.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I also feel it couldn't be relevant to two wheeler handling and is likely to have some severe limitations on four
wheels in high speed or extreme handling situations. I think short life if hard used is inevitable.

In 58 years of motoring in everything from motorcycles through cars, trucks, coaches, and heavy
transporters, with at times up to 30.000 miles a year, I've suffered one puncture in 1977, a long nail up through
a Vauxhall Victor FE2300 tyre in the dip under the rail bridge in Putney Bridge Road.

Which prompts me to say, "What's the point of this?"

An answer looking for a problem I think.

CeeGee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2009
Weybridge, UK
Which prompts me to say, "What's the point of this?"
Simples.
It would free up vast quantities of air for the rapidly expanding world population to breathe. I dislike the idea that I am having to breathe second-hand air on many occasions already.
What is the point of having this valuable resource trapped at high pressure in tyres/tubes where no-one can breath it.

Would these tyres have a place on aircraft, where a puncture can lead to a major disaster?

Colin

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Simples.
It would free up vast quantities of air for the rapidly expanding world population to breathe. I dislike the idea that I am having to breathe second-hand air on many occasions already.
What is the point of having this valuable resource trapped at high pressure in tyres/tubes where no-one can breath it.
Simples, it's an emergency supply for alleviating areas of high air pollution to avoid the ill health effects of that. Anyway, tyres can be inflated with useless-to-us nitrogen just as effectively, increasing the atmospheric oxygen ratio for our benefit.

Would these tyres have a place on aircraft, where a puncture can lead to a major disaster?
Now that would be a very good application, all the stresses well known and understood and in limited directions to design against. Whether supporting over 500 tons is feasible using rubber "spokes" alone is a moot point though.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
they exist now from a company in Birmingham for bikes
That's a different thing altogether though Frank, these solid types have been available for years from various companies, both as tyres and tube replacements.

The ones with rubber "spokes" the thread is on about are a new type and as yet untried by the public.

pictsidhe

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 17, 2011
I have had 2 slow punctures in 25 years driving motorised vehicles, bicycles gave me a lot more trouble, I don't know how much technology has changed this yet. Airless tyres have much higher rolling resistance, they are probably aimed more at people who don't bother checking their pressures, I know many people who change their tyres when the air runs out and they disintegrate. 'Mousse' solid innertube inserts are available for off road motorcycles, they have a habit of melting at speed though, and many people have less trouble using a good pneumatic tyre and thick tube, mousse could be good in really spiky terrain, though they don't stop a tyre being shredded by really nasty bits.... Greentyre have been making polyurethane bike tyres for years.