Nohassel motor drive project

Miles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
An interesting open-design project.

Two independently controlled motors, coupled by an epicyclic
differential - this gives the advantages of a CVT and allows both
freewheeling and regeneration, all within a single unit.

Nohassel | Google Groups

Miles

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I just want CVT gears and on the pedals too, that would be much better. :)
Lossless of course.

The project sounds good but didn't make a lot of sense to me.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Good idea for combining high torque and high speed for best all round performance Miles, rather leaving the rider out of the equation though, so possibly better applied to an electric moped?

As the author says, for most applications a simple single motor will be better, but it will be interesting to see how this progresses.

Miles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
Hi flecc,

I certainly think it would be easier to justify the complexity for a wider speed range than the nominal EAPC... The idea is to be able to control it via pedal sensor or throttle, I think.

With a drive to the LH side of the rear hub, the derailleurs (or hub gear) are free for pedal use only - so, however they're used, it won't affect motor efficiency directly...

It could be a good solution for hilly areas, especially if the regen can be made reasonably efficient.

I agree it (or maybe a slightly more powerful version?) would make a great system for a moped.

Anyway, it's good to see a design that addresses all aspects - there's precious little sign of genuine innovation in the present market....:(

Miles

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's very true Miles, most of the changes we see are rather more gimmicks than actual technical advance.

As you say, a bike system like that would be ideal in hilly territory both for the climbing and regeneration, but it struck me how well suited a system like this is for a moped with the smoothness of the speed/torque transition at speed, and it should be economical too.