Non Presteigne 2010 chatter

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
Hi Andy

Excellent news I have really come to enjoy the long weekend in Presteigne.
No race sounds good to us. It all got a bit silly the last couple of years.

It was great to be part of the first event and look forward to offering our support this year.

Our company has now got a 'No Lycra' policy due to the presence of performance enhancing technology.

All the best

Scott

... or has Lloyd been consulting with John Terry's lawyers and set up a gagging order, banning all incriminating photographic and video evidence:D :D

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
It's a shame that the long distance ride isn't on one of the weekend days, for those of us that work it probably means not being able to take part, what's the thinking behind that? Is it for retired oldies only ? :D

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
Looking forward to it - that reminds me, gotta check the bike fits the rack on the camper!

Lloyd

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2010
... or has Lloyd been consulting with John Terry's lawyers and set up a gagging order, banning all incriminating photographic and video evidence:D :D
No you are all safe this year, I will be hoofing round a different kind of track in my fossil-fuel powered vice instead ;) , will still be wearing the lycra underneath though....it just feels so nice :eek:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008

monster

Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
ive never done a long distance ride on my bike before so this will be a great opportunity. i was kind of hoping for a race though but i understand. + i think they have prooved the coming of age part of racing electric bikes with last years race. :)

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
In one way I'm disappointed that there isn't going to be racing, but I can understand the reasons.

I think it has got to the stage where racing would require a significantly increased level of organisation, with scrutineering, grid positions, race director. Maybe even a safety officer. And I can appreciate that Pete, Andy, Phil, etc, aren't into that and would rather concentrate on the rest of the event.

The date unfortunately clashes with another celebration of British eccentricity, but it does mean that there will be racing of oddball machinery somewhere. The Hovercraft Club of Great Britain - National Race Meeting - Round 1 - Towcester Racecourse

I'm going to try to get over for the long distance ride.

Nick

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I Believe not Flecc as they are not legal in the UK, however I could be mistaken.

Regards

David
A 300 watt Panasonic bike is not legal in Japan, Europe or the UK?

So is it designed just for the US market?:confused:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
300w

Yes I believe so Eddie, however the clever thing about a 300W is that depending on the controller and battery choice it can be configured as a 250 300 or 350W motor therefore being good for US and EU markets. Last week I met Dapu, AE, and Porta Power (Yik Lik) regarding exactly this topic.

The other interesting development last week was that the new Li Po batteries as on our new bikes (in the lab) are out performing LiFePO4 in terms of longevity in and reliability, completely negating the need to ever use LiFePO4 on electric bikes as we don't need the huge discharge rates.

All the best

David

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
The other interesting development last week was that the new Li Po batteries as on our new bikes (in the lab) are out performing LiFePO4 in terms of longevity in and reliability, completely negating the need to ever use LiFePO4 on electric bikes as we don't need the huge discharge rates.
Interesting statement. When you say "LiFePO4", do you mean the A123-style cylindrical cells, or the pouch/prismatic ones ? (they have quite different properties)

Were you able to assert the longevity of a given battery chemistry / design over more than a year of simulated life ? Did you *estimate* the outcome of a certain discharge pattern, or were you actually able to obtain statistics through *long-term* experimentation ?

You seem to say that under a higher discharge rate, the LiFePO4 batteries remain a better choice. Was your Lithium-Polymer testing based on 1C only ?

Kind regards, Dan

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Batteries

Hi Dan

I am the first to admit that I am no expert when it comes to battery chemistry. However during my visit to AE last week, during a meeting with their engineers I posed a number of questions to try and differentiate the advantages and draw backs between Lithium Polymer LiNiCoMnO2, Lithium Ion Panasonic cells, also LiNiCoMnO2, and Lithium Phosphate LiFePO4. As quite frankly the distinctions between them are blurred in my mind and I want to be absolutely certain I am using the best battery for my bikes.

When I say "LiFePO4", I mean the pouch/prismatic ones as they are the type manufactured by AE and seem to be the best in respect of electric vehicles.

The results they presented to me were their lab reports and have not been tried and tested in the real world, however they have been put on full charge re charge cycles and these results show that 25% of the batteries capacity was lost at these points (aprox) Li Phosphate 750 cycles, capacity loss then continues at a low rate. Li Po 900 cycles and capacity loss continues at a low rate, Li Ion 500 cycles then loss continues at an alarming rate!

The capacity that we could fit in our large case was as follows Li Po 14A Li Ion 17A and Li Phosphate only 10A.

The charge capacities were Li Po and Li Ion 4A Li Phosphate 2A although the discharge rate on the phosphate was significantly higher making it the better choice for large electric motors in cars and electric motor bikes.

I asked a lot of questions the answers to which will be confirmed to me next week in writing and I would be please to share this info with you. However on the face of it the best battery for long range is the Li Ion but the best for longevity and reliability is Lithium Polymer.

As I say I am not an expert and may have misunderstood, but I believe I am correct and will have the answers confirmed next week.

All the best

David

Last edited:

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Li Ion 500 cycles then loss continues at an alarming rate!
That doesn't sound like LifePO4...
Anyway, I can only speak from what I read, as I haven't owned my Li Ping battery for very long :)
Thank you for the feedback, Regards Dan

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
will this mean that longer lasting/more powerful batteries will be made to fit into the standard Wisper box so existing 905 owners will get the benefit of any advance in battery technology?

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
It's not, I think you'll find the Li-Ion is a Lithium-ion Manganese in that comparison line-up.

The LiFePO4 is a Lithium Iron Phosphate type.
Oops, I scanned the reply too quickly and misread this part ! Sorry :(