Noob - any flaws to my plan please?

KindCommuter

Just Joined
Oct 8, 2021
Hi, I am looking to commute to work (10 miles each way) at a fairly brisk pace as I used to cycle reguarly about 5 years ago.

I would like to buy a bike that doesn't look out of place at around 22mph, but will still remain comfortable and safe. I have therefore narrowed it down to gravel bikes and this one is currently £625. It will also be used for occasional recreational jaunts but only light trails with the family.

The spec seems a little vague (though I am no expert) and my two biggest concerns are around fitting:

(A) the wheel / hub motor as I hope this gravel bike is 135mm dropout given the 47c tyres but who knows?
(B) the PAS sensor as I would ideally like it on the LHS but I don't know if that will be easy for a man of meagre bike servicing knowledge.

I planned on pairing it with a Q128C at 48V as I have tried this combo before and enjoyed the experience. I don't know if there are alternatives that I should be looking towards instead though such as the SWX02 (sp).

Can anybody please give their thoughts as my only real requirements are a gravel bike (or similar) and easy installation / maintenance.

Thank you

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You will need the 260rpm model to manage the 22mph at 48v.
LHS PAS shouldn't be an issue.

Your main concern with 47c is tyre choice.
Something like the Specialized Pathfinder pro would be one to look at for faster running, a central raised tread less section 10mm wide with tread on the rest for cornering.

Reactions: KindCommuter

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I can hit 22mph with my Pinnacle Arkose Gravel using the above tyres, the kit is a 24v friction drive.

KindCommuter

Just Joined
Oct 8, 2021
You will need the 260rpm model to manage the 22mph at 48v.
LHS PAS shouldn't be an issue.

Your main concern with 47c is tyre choice.
Something like the Specialized Pathfinder pro would be one to look at for faster running, a central raised tread less section 10mm wide with tread on the rest for cornering.
Thank you. I used to be able to ride the flats at 19-20mph on my road bike without electrical assistance. I didn't realise that such wide tyres / 650b would have such an impact though in reality I would be happy swapping down to nearer 40mm if required :)
I also need to determine if topbikekit / bmsbattery is the best place to go. Ideally I would get it laced over here but I couldn't find anybody local who seemed keen to do it.

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
> any flaws to my plan please?

Legality. 15.5mph is the max assisted speed in UK.
However, sensible riding can mitigate that, decreasing the chances of being pulled.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A good spot Awol, maxles front and rear, it will have to be a mid drive, friction drive or a different bike.

KindCommuter

Just Joined
Oct 8, 2021
I appreciate the advisory on the thru axle else I would have ridden it for a week before starting installation and then found a big issue / no return issue.

I read the comment on Saturday night (but couldn't remember my pw on my phone to log in). Annoyingly Blacks were so good at dispatching that it arrived at 9AM monday despite sending in a cancellation request. Luckily I can take it to a nearby GoOutdoors for a refund.

Now I back to the drawing board for a similar bike. I assumed 650B may make for a more pleasant ride on our dodgy roads but I am used to 700C so perhaps it isn't a big deal.
Is the Q128C still the best choice (I know I can get the right speed at 48V with some pedal power as I want to get fit at the same time, else I would just drive).
I have read about the SWX02 and the MXUS but I am unsure if they are all of similar performance / reliability / price to obtain to the UK.
Ideally I would avoid having to swap the rear disks to a bigger size which I know that I have to do with the Q128C at least.

I will continue my research :)

Thanks

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Of all the rear hubs the AKM128 is the smallest diameter wise at 128mm.

KindCommuter

Just Joined
Oct 8, 2021
For reference, my friend has sent me a photo of his squeezed into 130mm and from what I can see there are no spacers? I know he said it is really hard to get in and out and would struggle if he got a puncture and couldn't get home :S Is that just a lack of stretching the frame or is it a bad installation? I would have a lot more options if I could select a 130mm dropout frame.

Thanks

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
AKM128 width is for 135mm d/o's and is why he has a problem fitting it.
Diameter is 128mm for the spoke holes.