North Norfolk e-bikes

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
I've just spent a pleasant couple of days in North Norfolk, around Cromer and Sheringham. Cromer isn't a big town but I was surprised to see two bicycle dealers with electric bikes in the window. Norfolk being one of the flatter areas of the UK, maybe there is the same mind set about e-bikes as in the Netherlands?

And I also saw 4 electric bikes while driving around the area. Unusual for me, since even in my densely populated part of south West London, I rarely see another.

Any forum members in that area who regularly see fellow e-bikers or was the number I saw unusual?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I was surprised to see two bicycle dealers with electric bikes in the window. Norfolk being one of the flatter areas of the UK, maybe there is the same mind set about e-bikes as in the Netherlands?
Very flat near coastal areas suffer very strong and consistent winds frequently, no land contouring to break the wind up and slow it down. The winds over the Dutch polders are notorious for example, so this makes e-biking very attractive for a very different reason from that in hilly areas. It also accounts for the widespread popularity of streamlined velomobiles in the Netherlands, too heavy where there's hills but very fast cutting though the air on the flat plains under pedal power.

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
we had a long weekend in exactly the same area last year in our motorhome.......I can tell you it was undulating enough! and e bikes where most helpful.....

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Very flat near coastal areas suffer very strong and consistent winds frequently, no land contouring to break the wind up and slow it down. The winds over the Dutch polders are notorious for example, so this makes e-biking very attractive for a very different reason from that in hilly areas. It also accounts for the widespread popularity of streamlined velomobiles in the Netherlands, too heavy where there's hills but very fast cutting though the air on the flat plains under pedal power.
Thats what me and Louise will be doing next week in Dungerness. Can't wait ...

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
Having both lived and worked on the marsh, I'm a big fan of the area which to some people is just barren and desolate. Very flat territory making for easy cycling, there's always something interesting if you keep your eyes open.

One not entirely inaccurate description of Romney Marsh is, "A hundred square miles, a million sheep!" There is a little bit more to it than that though and there are some great pubs, some nicely situated close to the Royal Military Canal. If you have ever read the Dr Syn books, they were based around the marsh and of course it's Cinque Ports territory so no shortage of both factual and fictional history.

I really hope you enjoy your trip down there. It was my home for 9 years and I retain considerable affection for that part of Kent.

Regards,
Indalo

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Fantastic area, as a young photographer on the Kentish Express, I photographed a ship that was driven onto the beach at Dungeness. So keen was I that I stayed all night and finished up in hospital suffering from exposure. Great pictures, though!

If you don't know the area, do visit Tenterden, one of the most beautiful old towns in the country, and Camber Castle, which is a wonderful walk from Rye Harbour. And the military canal from Winchelsea. And Winchelsea itself. Great area. I used to cover the sheep sheering contests on the marsh, contestants from as far away as Australia. In the early 60s I drove the James Bond Aston Martin DB4 up and down the runway for a film company. What fun it was down there. Seems like another world now.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Paul Wyer of Velo Cycles Norwich has taken on the full Kudos e-bike range. Paul is of the old school of bike retailers where customer service and a cup of tea go hand in hand.
Check the KudosCycles website for full contact details
Dave
KudosCycles

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Lemmy>the Britannia Inn next to Dungeness Power Station serves the best fish and chips in the area-and the fish don't glow green!
The ride from Dymnchurch to Dungeness right along the top of the sea wall is wonderful,Dungeness is a bit quirky-strange old fisherman huts occupied now by off the wall artists and authors but worth seeing.
Dave
KudosCycles

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Having both lived and worked on the marsh, I'm a big fan of the area
Thanks Indalo, I am really looking forward to it.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Fantastic area, as a young photographer on the Kentish Express, I photographed a ship that was driven onto the beach at Dungeness. So keen was I that I stayed all night and finished up in hospital suffering from exposure. Great pictures, though!
If you don't know the area....
Thanks Lemmy. Now I'm itching to go! ... wont get much work done today! ... It will be my first visit.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Lemmy>the Britannia Inn next to Dungeness Power Station serves the best fish and chips in the area-and the fish don't glow green!
The ride from Dymnchurch to Dungeness right along the top of the sea wall is wonderful,Dungeness is a bit quirky-strange old fisherman huts occupied now by off the wall artists and authors but worth seeing.
Dave
KudosCycles
Fortunately I'm am an off the wall artist and an off the wall author. ... Just hope Louise's cycing in not off the wall! .. Will definitely be going to the power station and most definitley be having fish and chips and mussy peas..