Nut on Q100C CST hub axle

point5clue

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2017
UK
My conversion 'kit' of parts from BMSBattery arrived today (not bad - ordered 10 days earlier).

Silly question: The nut on the CST side of the hub - does that need to stay where it is on the inside end of the axle ?

I'm going to offer the wheel up to the bike tonight - see if they get on etc. I presume it acts as a spacer keeping the smallest cog away from the frame, but it occurs to me that the existing rear wheel is QR so I'll need to rob one of the kids bikes to try it out. Presumably there's no such thing as an 'ebike nut' ?

I don't think I'll have time to properly fit until the weekend, but I'm so excited !!!!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Like all hubs drives you will have a two washers, two tabbed anti - rotation washers and two fixing nuts to go on the outside of the dropouts, The axle is 12 deep x 10mm wide, it may slide in your drop otherwise you will need to carefully file the drop out 0.5 - 1mm for it to slide in nicely. Once it slides in ( depending on your drop out depth) with a QR dropout you will notice it will also need filing 2 - 4 mm deeper to allow the tab of the AR washer to also sit in the drop out.

point5clue

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2017
UK
Once it slides in ( depending on your drop out depth) with a QR dropout you will notice it will also need filing 2 - 4 mm deeper to allow the tab of the AR washer to also sit in the drop out.
Thanks Nealh. Are the anti-rotation washers in addition to a torque arm or instead ? (I have one just in case).

How accurate does the filing need to be ? Can I align the wheel by moving the axle slightly away from the edge on one side as long as it is done up tightly enough, or does it need to sit hard up against the frame on both sides.

D

Deleted member 4366

The nut holds the cassette spline onto the motor. No, you don't need it. use whatever washers or nuts on that end to keep the chain off the frame with the minimum clearance. You will need one extra 12mm washer on the other side to keep the disc clear of the caliper mount - assuming that you have a disc brake. Anything on that side will reduce the amount of offset you need to build into the wheel to get the rim in the middle.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Thanks Nealh. Are the anti-rotation washers in addition to a torque arm or instead ? (I have one just in case).

How accurate does the filing need to be ? Can I align the wheel by moving the axle slightly away from the edge on one side as long as it is done up tightly enough, or does it need to sit hard up against the frame on both sides.
The AR washers are the first line of anti - rotation.
The filing doesn't want to be sloppy, tighter the better with aluminium. If any filing width wise is needed then a 3 or 4 passes mat be enough. If going deeper make sure the bottom of the drop out still maintains a radius otherwise metal fatigue may eventually occur. The Achilles heel of the DH106 Comet 1.