NuVinci 360 gearing

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Yep my current Rohloff SLT-99 chain on my none powered Rohloff Bike has done over 5000 miles, and according to my Rohloff chain wear checking tool, in the first position shows amazingly little wear.

Of course the set up is akin to Single Speed, and the SLT-99 chain is 8 Speed, no power link etc used, just good old rivit using a Rohloff Revolver chain tool.

Just as well that I bought a bunch of Rohloff SLT-99 chains back in 2004, price back then was around £25 including shipping from Germany, as it was around that time that Rohloff shut down there chain making machine.

They will see me out, that's for sure, and at the time nothing was further away from my mind than owning an ebike, funny how things change, although I am not quite ready for an ebike just yet, so I can bide my time for the right ebike to come along, onto which my Rohloff igh and SLT-99 chain will be going.

At the moment though I am swayed to the Bafang Max Drive CD system.

Last edited:

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
I normally get about 500 miles out of a chain and that about my limit no more so just roughly i should only get about 1000 miles out of a belt and if it is 100 pound for belt that is a lot money to go to belt driven bike it sounds like the chain would be a cheaper option

People have told me in the past that you can get about 6000 miles out of belt and this is the reason why i was thinking about going to a belt set up to save the money on buying chains all the time and not have to worry about it and other thing is that the roads that i commute down are very dirty all the time

When i have come back from commuting down these dirty roads the chain is completely black and the chain does need degreasing straight away if I don't then the next time i ride then more then likely i will have problems changing gear all the time which i have had in the past

I think their is only about 2 months of the year in the high of summer when it nice and clean and clear when their is no mud on the road and it safe to say

I don't have to bother cleaning my chain it just doesn't stop and buying degrease you have to buy all the other products to keep the chain in good condition to get the most of the life out of the chain

Saying that i would only chain the belt on one if it was nearly falling off to get the most of the life out of the belt and i would always carry a belt with me all the time so if anything did happen then i would be able to chain the belt straight away the good thing is that i wont have to keep buying oil and degreaser all the time

On my bike it harder to change the chain because i have a guard to stop the chain catching your leg and it nearly impossible to on the road side because i would need to have a torque wrench to hand to be able to tight the pedal arm back up to 40 newton metres

I have been watching how to install a belt on YouTube and it looks very simple to do and i think it would be easy to do on the road side if needed too
One of the best things about the belt is not dealing with the oily mess, makes cleaning the bike a lot easier (everyday commuter not weekend special).

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
One of the best things about the belt is not dealing with the oily mess, makes cleaning the bike a lot easier (everyday commuter not weekend special).
I'm not slating belts, indeed I think that for utility cycling they are ideal, clean, quiet, very low maintenance. That's especially true on e-bikes where the added power swamps any small loss of efficiency.

But it's not wrong to observe that they do also have some disadvantages, only hub gears possible, crank drive motor power limits with hub gears, higher cost, separatable rear frames, inability to repair on the road when one does go, exact front-rear alignment vitally important, slight loss of efficiency. Of course those mostly matter on sport based bikes like Road and MTB, and as said, for utility bikes they're fine and I think there should be more choice of those with belt drive on the market.

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
I can easily get 6000 out of chains on hub motor e-bikes and used to get over 4000 miles on unpowered bikes.

I find your only 500 miles bafflingly short.
i always go by a chain checker to make sure my bike is running like a "swiping rolex" "smooth" at this present moment in time i very much depend on my bike and i need to keep it in good order and i cannot afford to break down at all

i have be running like this for a couple of years and never really had no problems at all really just the odd puncture which is nothing much to handle at all

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
At the moment during this time of the year all i do is clean chains and cassettes due to the bad weather to maintain my bike so that gear
shifting is effortless and no further problems

i'm very much looking forward not have to buy degreaser and oiling chains at this of the year which is time consuming

Reactions: KeithMac

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
At the moment during this time of the year all i do is clean chains and cassettes due to the bad weather to maintain my bike so that gear
shifting is effortless and no further problems

i'm very much looking forward not have to buy degreaser and oiling chains at this of the year which is time consuming
Worth giving a belt a try.

You chain seems to get very dirty, so it would be worth keeping the internal surface of the belt clean.

As I mentioned earlier, bits of grit mashed between the sprocket and the belt can break the belt.