NuVinci CVT (Automatic Gears) Hub

JimB

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2013
Derbyshire
My 'intro' thread - 'Steep Learning Curve in the Peak District' went into some sort of runaway condition and embraced several different subjects which, in view of the thread's title and location, were less likely to be seen and be of any benefit to other people new to this subject so I thought I would start one or two new threads with more specific titles.

In my intro thread trex came in with some interesting information on these 'auto' gearbox hubs and I copy some of the correspondence here.

JimB asked David at Electrifying Cycles "....However, I think the NuVinci CVT is going to feature in my final list of wants (rather than needs, again) and I have been trying to find more details of the KTM Macina NuVinci stepthru other than those on the German language pdf that I downloaded.

I notice that they appear to claim a max possible range of 180 kms although I don't speak German but find the prospect of a possible 112 miles range rather unlikely given the battery size indicated.

On any given bike is one likely to get better or worse 'fuel consumption' with a NuVinci compared to a standard 8 gear hub (not derailleur)? I would have thought the auto would be worse, if only slightly so.

EDIT Does the NuVinci CVT hub have more drag when not powered compared to a standard manual set of gears? My Suzuki Burgman 650E (with CVT) is virtually impossible to move without power."

David answered "...I have not ridden this type of system before but am aware of people noticing drag. Range depends very much on how you use the bike. I normally half the range quoted but it is largely dependant on assistance level used and terrain as well as rider weight and weather (longer range in warm, sunny weather)........"

trex said "Nuvinci is a bad idea.
The new model has a freewheel, so the rear wheel spins like on a normal bike but the transmission loss is still around 18%. If you ride unpowered, it's hard work."

then came back with this information;

"Derailleurs don't lose much power through friction, hub gears and the Nuvinci do.
In the case of the Nuvinci, progress in reducing friction loss depends on oil chemistry.
At the contact point, you have two oil surfaces coming into near contact, one surface is the ball and the other the input (or output) disc. The two surfaces are still separated by a little oil. This oil gap is pulled apart by the two sides, cavitation forces line up oil molecules in the gap, thus the oil behaves like a solid rod connecting ball and disc (a solid is no more than molecules that got lined up and can't move out of position). This 'rod' changes immediately back into liquid form a millimeter or so away from the contact point. When a liquid solidifies, it releases heat, widh radiates into the surrounding. This heat loss explains why friction loss of CVT is higher than mechanical (eg Shimano) hub gears.
This loss is only incurred when you ride on the flat or going uphill. Going downhill uses the freewheel.

NuVinci Continuously Variable Transmission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://www.fallbrooktech.com/sites/default/files/videos/N360_Datasheet_English_Web.pdf
http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.ph...38578&start=30 "

In addition, I have seen a few comments that this gearbox is 'draggy' and that that is noticed when riding without electrical assistance. But the jury may still be out on that at least as far as the most recent incarnations of the technology is concerned......

JimB

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I found the NuVinci drag quite noticeable and I would never buy an unpowered bike with one, but would be happy to have one on an e-bike which I only intended to use powered.

David Henshaw of A to B magazine and Peter Eland of VeloVision magazine are both hub gear fans and very experienced with them. Both when trying the NuVinci on unpowered bikes have commented on the perceptible drag, one remarking that there's a feeling of pedalling through treacle. That's probably a bit harsh, but the drag is very real.

MikeyBikey

Pedelecer
Mar 5, 2013
The idea of a automatic, stepless hub like the nuvinci harmony is very seductive, and with electric assist of a chain/crank drive to compensate for the losses, seems best of both worlds?
Even the 2speed Sram auto is gaining fans on this forum, on the basis that you don't need many gears when assisted. :)
Does nuvinci need a chain tensioner? My Brompton has the derailleur-like, chain tensioner which drags a lot, I found that taking the tension off the chain by pulling the sprung arm back, it runs a lot more easily!
Cheer, Mike

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The NuVinci doesn't need a chain tensioner. In fact it's much less likely to disturb smooth chain running than any other bike gear system, having no gear steps to disrupt the stability of the chain tension.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
The NuVinci can change gear under load, Shimano hub gears also can but may incur a second or more delay and derailleurs may bang the chain.
d8veh has extensive experience on this and came up with a solution for chain banging, using his thumb throttle.
That d8veh solved the problem comes as no surprise, what is surprising is no manufacturer comes up with an electronic cut out when changing gears.

Spinalot

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2011
Sheffield, United Kingdom
The NuVinci can change gear under load, Shimano hub gears also can but may incur a second or more delay and derailleurs may bang the chain.
d8veh has extensive experience on this and came up with a solution for chain banging, using his thumb throttle.
That d8veh solved the problem comes as no surprise, what is surprising is no manufacturer comes up with an electronic cut out when changing gears.
On my Kalkhoff C8 I have to wait close to a second for the gear to change as I wait for the motor to cut out. It will not change while there is power on. I hate it, but will have to live with it for now.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
what is surprising is no manufacturer comes up with an electronic cut out when changing gears.
Not always so necessary on a pedelec where pausing pedalling for a gear change also cuts the power, and since all of the European market is pedelec, there's less impetus to develop this.

A variant I'd like to see is a gear control that cuts power in the highest one or two gears, since this would enable higher gears for use without power over 15 mph on legal e-bikes with the 15 mph cutoff. The present method of setting the top gear on crank drive bikes too low to prevent them going faster than 15 mph under power is frustrating and annoying. Indeed it positively encourages owners to change the gearing and break the law.

Since Shimano have now entered the e-bike motor market with their "Steps" system, maybe we'll eventually see such developments in conjunction with their gear systems.

Last edited:

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
what is surprising is no manufacturer comes up with an electronic cut out when changing gears.
It's been around on drag-racing motorcycles for years. Hard to believe that some makers are so insular they wouldn't know about it.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
The present method of setting the top gear on crank drive bikes too low to prevent them going faster than 15 mph under power is frustrating and annoying. Indeed it positively encourages owners to change the gearing and break the law.
How does changing the gearing break the law, flecc ? I'm missing a link there in the dot-joining game !

I do agree you need higher gears to ride happily above assist limits on crank drives. Not sure about derailleurs but for me an 8sp hub gear system wouldn't be enough.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Not sure about derailleurs but for me an 8sp hub gear system wouldn't be enough.
I think an 11-36T (eg CS-HGS62-10) derailleur is best for crank drives. Only the Rolhoff can beat that.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
How does changing the gearing break the law, flecc ? I'm missing a link there in the dot-joining game !
Some crank systems like most of the Panasonic units have their road speed limit determined within the motor unit, so the bike's top gear has to be set so that at the crank drive full speed, the bike is only travelling at 15 mph. Raising the gearing to enable pedalling at higher road speeds without ones legs flailing too fast means breaking the 15 mph assist limit too.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think an 11-36T (eg CS-HGS62-10) derailleur is best for crank drives. Only the Rolhoff can beat that.
Not so I'm afraid, that's 327% gear range.

The SRAM i-motion 9 speed hub is 340%.

The Shimano 11 speed hub is 409%.

The NuVinci CVT is 350%.

So the only way that CS-HGS62-10 can beat those is by having more than one chainwheel up front, not possible on many e-bikes.

Last edited:

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
To be honest, I find the extra 3 gears on the 11 speed Alfine enough - no complaints at all and far more pleasant to ride generally than a derailleur bike. Did think I'd change my mind with more use on the MTB bike-wise, but still not keen on riding bikes with with derailleurs much - a compromise for me. There are some things you just don't get on with and I wouldn't want to transfer those downsides to an eBike with no throttle or rear hub motor.

I definitely wouldn't choose a crank drive bike with derailleur for touring or commuting - only real off-roading. Settled for one on hub drive bike with a rear hub motor as that was a better combo option than a front wheel hub motor and rear hub gears (for me at least). Basically, the throttle compensates for a great deal when it's being ridden with the motorwheel.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Half of Kalkhoff range have derailleurs, all Haibikes have derailleurs. If the chain comes off or if you have a puncture, hub gears are right pain.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Another advantage to using Nuvinci on crank drive motors that hasn't been mentioned yet is Shimano will not warrant their hub gears for use on electric bikes when the torque is over 40Nm. Many bikes including our Grace MX generate 50Nm creating a lot of strain on both chain and gear system especially when added to the rider's input.

Nuvinci do not put such restrictions on the use of their CVT.

All the best

David

Last edited:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
More of a reason for derailleurs.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Another advantage to using Nuvinci on crank drive motors that hasn't been mentioned yet is Shimano will not warrant their hub gears for use on electric bikes when the torque is over 40Nm. Many bikes including our Grace MX generate 50Nm creating a lot of strain on both chain and gear system especially when added to the rider's input.

The Nuvinci do not put such restrictions on the use of their CVT.

All the best

David
Quite so, although the bike manufacturer is surely obliged to warrant the whole bike, so they cannot say we are not covering you because a Shimano - or any other maker's - component failed.

Another point is Bosch specify the maximum assistance in a hub installation as 200%, but 250% for a derailleur.

No idea what my Rose/Alfine 11 bike is, but I expect it's the former.

I'm not fussed either way, had I wanted an e-rocket I would have gone down a different route.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Half of Kalkhoff range have derailleurs, all Haibikes have derailleurs. If the chain comes off or if you have a puncture, hub gears are right pain.
Punctures don't mean taking out a rear wheel. I've never taken any rear wheel out for a puncture in all my years of cycling and repairing punctures when in the trade.

Also if a chain can come off, it can be wound back on without shifting the wheel. With a hub gear the chance of a sound properly adjusted chain coming off is very low indeed, almost negligible

As for the odd occasion that a rear wheel does have to come out for other reasons, it depends on the hub gear how problematic that is, some are much easier than others in what is needed.