nvm moscow throttle

wattrider

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 9, 2020
The pin outs will be std julet layout/sequence, other wise Julet are just wasting their time if it was wired differently and no wired product using their system would be compatible.
For the Yellow Julet female with the locator notch up top the three holes are Red/5v lhs, White/Signal rhs & Black/Signal bottom.

You can simply use your meter on the female connector, it won't damage anything unless you short the two pins. Place a sowing needle or pin in the 5v & Gnd to see voltage with the meter's probes.
Thanks, I will give that a try later.

wattrider

Sep 9, 2020
"Does anyone have the pinouts for the Das-Kit throttle connector? Its a 3 pin Julet socket (female pins). I believe its the same one used on the C7BBT display (Moscow etc.). As it seems to be a hall effect throttle, I would rather not experiment with combinations of the pins in case it gets damaged.
Glenn."

I understood you couldn't add a throttle to the NCM Moscow etc other than just a control which mimics the walk function ie gives a maximum of 6 or 8 kph when the button is pressed. Or has your bike been "tuned" and will accept a throttle, if so, I'm interested to know what you have done. Pics would help.
That is my understanding as well. I have built up the ESP32 interface from the German Pedelec forum which works well and was going to experiment with the messaging in conjunction with the throttle.

jokskot

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2018
That is my understanding as well. I have built up the ESP32 interface from the German Pedelec forum which works well and was going to experiment with the messaging in conjunction with the throttle.
The throttle should be set up with the +ve of the throttle connected to the lilac (looks brown!) wire of the 8 strand cable (pin6), the negative connected to the black line (pin 8) and the signal connected to the yellow line (pin 3).
If there is a voltmeter included in your throttle the wire for this should be connected to the red line (pin 5). (You're probably aware of all this!!)

I have built the German Pedelec forum device using the ESP8266 chip which works very well - removing the 25-> 20km/h flat spot and giving a maximum assisted speed in excess of 30km/h, however no change in throttle performance was achieved.
I also built the ESP32 based device which gave a similar performance improvement and the fitted throttle was able to produce a higher speed than the walk speed - I didn't record the value (see below), but I think it would give sufficient power for a hill start or pretty rapid accelaration. Unfortunately with this set up the display (mine is the L7), failed to register any of the usual parameters and as I'd had satisfactory experience with the ESP8266 board I didn't pursue this with the ESP32.
I'll be interested to hear your experience.

wattrider

Sep 9, 2020
The pin outs will be std julet layout/sequence, other wise Julet are just wasting their time if it was wired differently and no wired product using their system would be compatible.
For the Yellow Julet female with the locator notch up top the three holes are Red/5v lhs, White/Signal rhs & Black/Signal bottom.

You can simply use your meter on the female connector, it won't damage anything unless you short the two pins. Place a sowing needle or pin in the 5v & Gnd to see voltage with the meter's probes.
Thanks, I tried it out and it worked. Output range was between 0.8V and 4.3V from off to full throttle.

wattrider

Sep 9, 2020
The throttle should be set up with the +ve of the throttle connected to the lilac (looks brown!) wire of the 8 strand cable (pin6), the negative connected to the black line (pin 8) and the signal connected to the yellow line (pin 3).
If there is a voltmeter included in your throttle the wire for this should be connected to the red line (pin 5). (You're probably aware of all this!!)

I have built the German Pedelec forum device using the ESP8266 chip which works very well - removing the 25-> 20km/h flat spot and giving a maximum assisted speed in excess of 30km/h, however no change in throttle performance was achieved.
I also built the ESP32 based device which gave a similar performance improvement and the fitted throttle was able to produce a higher speed than the walk speed - I didn't record the value (see below), but I think it would give sufficient power for a hill start or pretty rapid accelaration. Unfortunately with this set up the display (mine is the L7), failed to register any of the usual parameters and as I'd had satisfactory experience with the ESP8266 board I didn't pursue this with the ESP32.
I'll be interested to hear your experience.
OK on your experience. I also have the L7 display and found the ESP32 version to work well as described. The hardest part was obtaining the Julet plug and socket to put inline with the display. These were ordered from a German website, and arrived quite quickly. I also added a bit of code to the ESP32 so that I could monitor the current on my phone via bluetooth. I used Blueterm on the phone. On the weekend I plan to experiment a little more as we are locked down here at the moment.

jokskot

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2018
OK on your experience. I also have the L7 display and found the ESP32 version to work well as described. The hardest part was obtaining the Julet plug and socket to put inline with the display. These were ordered from a German website, and arrived quite quickly. I also added a bit of code to the ESP32 so that I could monitor the current on my phone via bluetooth. I used Blueterm on the phone. On the weekend I plan to experiment a little more as we are locked down here at the moment.
Thanks for the info. You say "we are locked down...", where are you? Based on your experience I'll give it another go. Which of the sketches from the Northy Github link did you use? Could you pm me your amended code? With the 8266 code I'm using (slightly modified version of Marze 6989 of the German Pedelecs site code), it's necessary to turn on the backlight to activate the tuning. Is some activation of your ESP32 version necessary? Post 61 on the German pedelecs site shows someone has been able to monitor the current using bluetooth and their phone)
I also bought the Julet plug and socket - almost certainly from the same German source as you- but subsequently have bought 10x 1 metre connectors with 8 pin male and female Julet plugs at the ends, made to order by the manufacturer, delivered to UK within 14 days of order at $1.69 each!!!-

wattrider

Sep 9, 2020
Thanks for the info. You say "we are locked down...", where are you? Based on your experience I'll give it another go. Which of the sketches from the Northy Github link did you use? Could you pm me your amended code? With the 8266 code I'm using (slightly modified version of Marze 6989 of the German Pedelecs site code), it's necessary to turn on the backlight to activate the tuning. Is some activation of your ESP32 version necessary? Post 61 on the German pedelecs site shows someone has been able to monitor the current using bluetooth and their phone)
I also bought the Julet plug and socket - almost certainly from the same German source as you- but subsequently have bought 10x 1 metre connectors with 8 pin male and female Julet plugs at the ends, made to order by the manufacturer, delivered to UK within 14 days of order at $1.69 each!!!-
I am in Melbourne Australia where we are currently restricted to travel within 5km of home for essential reasons only.
I will PM you the code, I forget now which version it is based on, although it is rather old with a comments date of February this year when I started experimenting with it. The bypass is set with a setting of two on the display.
The current units are reported in units of 0.333 Amp which seems rather odd. To verify this, I soldered a loop of heavy wire in series with the battery connector and used a DC clamp meter to measure the current. That might have been my post on the German pedelecs site.
Those cables with connectors sound like a real bargain. Do you have a link for it?