Objects in mirror MAY BE closer than they appear

Emanresu

Pedelecer
Dec 28, 2019
Have just purchased a Garmin Varia rearview radar (£169) rather than a mirror at 99p. Clearly it's a non-contest except the Varia is far more intuitive than a human using a mirror.

Deliberately travelled at rush hour which in these Covid times is not as busy as might be but the idiots are still out - so it was a useful test.

The Varia usually pairs over bluetooth with a Garmin but in my case, I use RideWithGPS software on my phone. As soon as you power on the unit, the tail light starts as a solid red. The GPS also shows a green band down the left of the screen which remains that way until you actually have traffic behind when it turns to yellow. The car icons travel along the line and you can see the cars queuing behind until they find a passing slot. It is particularly useful when approaching a roundabout or a junction so you can estimate how much time you have before crossing into the next lane.

Now a word about idiots in white vans. If a vehicle approaches too quickly, as one did today, you get a warning where the band turns quickly from green, to amber and to red. It is a visual and audible warning that the Varia unit has detected that the speed of approach may cause you danger.

So 99p and make the judgement yourself or pay top whack and get an "informed" opinion.

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Spending £169 still won't stop the idiot who does a smidsy as you are knocked off.
I personally prefer my ears and a mirror to make my judgement, because at the end of the day if some twat is going to wipe you out it matters not what is fitted to the bike.

• Agree
Reactions: Gringo

Julie

Pedelecer
Jul 30, 2014
Gainsborough England
I do not think anyone is suggesting buying a gadget means you can cycle obliviously to the road conditions and be safe.

its just another added piece of information that helps you form a picture of your surroundings so you can assess the dangers, and thus in part it can help shape your actions.

I still use my ears, I still look behind me before performing a manoeuvre, i have never found a mirror I like using, if you have found one you like, thats great.