Off-Topic: Metal Glue Recommendations?

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
I've been trying to glue together the broken bracket on my gear shift..some sort of composite aluminium... anyways I bought some of that "Super2" Superglue which was cheap..didn't work at all. I tried to glue a broken plastic light cover in my mothers fridge, an easy fix and it wouldn't even glue that. Useless. That stuff couldn't glue **** on a shoe... no hint needed on the expletive.. 'cept begins with S and describes the product basically.Ive had some really good superglue in the past that glued a broken metal belt buckle which lasted 3 years! Can't remember brand though, came in one of those cone shaped bottles with an applicator in lid.

Any recommedations welcome anyway, will save me buying a new shift.. its holding on with the bolt and nut, but could do with glueing proper the two sides of bracket.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Try Fixal, available from http://www.idealworld.tv/BOGOF_-_5_Piece_Fixsal_Glue_Kit_206307.aspx?fh_location=//idealworld/en_GB/categories@lt;{8011}

There is a video to show what it can do. Never tried it, always stick my fingers together, hence the typing.

C

Cyclezee

So called super glue or cyanoacrylate adhesives have limited uses due to there low shear strength.

I have used it for many years, but only ever to create a temporary bond, one useful property is that it does polymerise rapidly.

Epoxy resin is my adhesive of choice where a strength is required.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
+1 for fixsal

It definitely sticks

Don't get it on your fingers

Or anywhere else unless you want it stuck.

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
+1 for 2 pack epoxy resin
Epoxy resin was the first thing that sprang to mind funnily enough, but I opted for a cheap 69p 2 pack of "Super2"...always having an eye for a bargain and having a positive experience with melt last time with superglue! Heh.

On another but slightly related off-topic subject..I mentioned my mothers fridge bulb cover has come off.. well that bulb gets incredibly hot (you can feel the heat off it) and all the plastic fitting has melted from the heat even! The bulb keeps blowing every few months she said..been replaced 3-4x in 12 months..

Anyway, the bulb itself is one of those tiny 15W jobs with the E14 screw thread. I've spotted the same bulb on eBay with 10W rating and I wondered if that would significantly reduce heat? I'm guessing not that much? And it would probably still keep blowing for some reason.

The other idea was to replace the bulb with a low-energy cool running option, either florescent or LED. Florescent ones are available in E14 thread and used in fish tanks etc, but I think they'd be too long/wide to fit in this little fridge fitting space.. surprisingly there's no LED options widely available in UK for fridges/microwaves etc.. plenty for cars in E14 (but they cost a fortune and too big anyway!).. I did spot 3W LED candidate on eBay from China very cheap (if nobody else sells it, China will!). I'll have to check the measurements, but the voltage is 220V would that be ok on our 240V system?

Last edited:

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
First put a videocam inside the fridge and see if the light goes out when you close the door.

If not check the door switch.

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
Try a decent car parts shop,there are a few different metal glues available

D

Deleted member 4366

If it's getting that hot, it's got to be on all the time, so +1 to a faulty door switch. What's more, it'll be heating up the food inside the fridge!

If you show us a decent photo of what's broken, it'll be easier to advise on the repair to your bike.

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
Re the gear lever....

Glues are great for parts that are not subject to stresses and strains, like the head wot got knocked off of a bit of capo de monty, lol

Strength Is all to do with the surface area available and of course the strength of the glue, the strongest glue / adhesive is pants if there is not enough area...

In a case like the lever, the only way I have found that works is to reinforce the joint and stop it being strained, is to drill and pin before gluing (bit like using dowels or biscuits to strengthen a wood joint)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 4366

OMG, just realised an error, there instead of their, hope D8veh doesn't spot it:eek:
Too late. I'll let you off if you buy me a pint at Redbridge.

Actually, I don't mind spelling mistakes, but I can't stand the apostrophe being used in plurals. The other one I'm not keen on that makes me groan but not react is:
Should of gone too Specsavers
instead of
Should have gone to Specsavers
or
Should've gone to Specsavers.