Official Statement from YOSEPOWER regarding the "Triangle Battery Recall" Post

Lily-YOSEPOWER

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 16, 2024
Respected Users,

At YOSEPOWER, we take the concerns raised in the recent post about the "Triangle Battery Recall" very seriously. We would like to address each issue raised to provide clarity and assurance to our valued customers:

1. Thin Red Wire: The wire mentioned in the post is a Teflon wire, specifically designed for its exceptional properties including high temperature resistance, corrosion resistance, and insulation capabilities. Teflon wire is known for its durability and reliability, and it is highly unlikely to cause the described phenomenon. The wire can withstand extreme temperatures ranging from -180℃ to +260℃, and its maximum carrying capacity is 48A for the 2.5mm² size. Therefore, the concerns raised regarding this wire are unfounded.
  2. Tape around Battery Cells: The tape wrapped around the battery cells contains fiberglass and is primarily used for wire organization and securing purposes, rather than for protecting the cells themselves. Our battery casing design carefully considers structural integrity, and we have incorporated EVA material to provide additional protection against impacts and abrasions during transportation and use.5743357434
  3. Design Flaw in BMS: We appreciate the feedback regarding the design flaw in the Battery Management System (BMS). We acknowledge that using only two screws for securing may not be the most optimal method, and we apologize for any inconvenience caused. Rest assured, we take all feedback seriously, and in our future product designs, we will address this issue and implement necessary improvements to ensure the highest standards of quality and safety.
  4. Recall of UPP Batteries: It's important to clarify that the batteries being recalled belong to UPP, and there is no mention of YOSEPOWER in the official recall notification. While our triangular battery bears a resemblance to theirs, it's crucial to note that our product has unique patented designs and internal structures. We assure our customers that YOSEPOWER prioritizes product quality and safety above all else.
We want to reassure our customers that YOSEPOWER remains committed to delivering products of the highest quality and safety standards. If you have any further concerns or questions, please don't hesitate to contact us. Your satisfaction and trust are our top priorities.

Thank you for your continued support and understanding.

YOSEPOWER

Attachments

Last edited:

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Why start a new thread?
Because they are insisting I somehow delete the thread I started about their recall, which I feel is unacceptable harassment, especially when I don't even have admin rights on the forum to delete threads etc, by someone who may or may not be an official representative of the company. The person private messaging me and the originator of this post is not registered and verified by admins as being a commercial member.

I want to make it clear to everyone, that everything I post on this forum is based on my sincere opinions, which is based on my significant experience. I might not be right about everything and that is the point of this forum for others to point out what is wrong and what is right, as a kind of peer review system so people can make their own minds up. If I am wrong about something, I am happy to admit that and am glad that I can learn something from others.

Battery manufacturers have a duty to go above and beyond to make sure that their products are safe and to act in a spirit of openness when things go wrong. Building a battery is easy, but building a safe battery that will not fail in use is extremely hard, especially for high power output packs. Therefore we all need to learn from each other to work towards safe practices for construction. If a company makes a mistake, it is much better to admit the mistake and show how the product is being made safe, rather than hiding it and hoping the problem will go away. In some circumstances, this could be the difference between life or death if a fire breaks out.

We are facing increasing difficulties in using our bikes because of disreputable people. Rules are being introduced on trains, in work places etc on where we can store or charge our bikes. We are close to having laws introduced that require the 3rd party certification of all batteries etc, making life difficult for all of us, including battery manufacturers and importers. It is quite possible imports from China we buy on Ali Express or eBay etc may become subject to very strict regulation.

Yose power (if it is indeed them) seem to think I am suggesting that the recall notice for their battery is related to the UK government warning about UPP triangular batteries. I never suggested any such thing. Another forum member @guerney posed the question, I said they were similar but not the same.

Nonetheless, my friend who bought the triangular Yose power battery did receive a message from eBay that the product they had bought potentially posed a safety hazard and was being recalled and to contact the manufacturer:

I have asked this person who claims to be a representative of Yose power why this recall notice was issued. They have not answered this question. To me, this lack of openness does not inspire confidence. My reason for posting the original thread was to make sure other people on this forum who hadn't seen or received a recall notice were made aware of it.

I want to be fair to Yose power, I have bought several of their kits and batteries in the past. As low cost Chinese imports go, they generally produce suitably serviceable products, far better than a lot of importers on the market. However, they are not perfect. Previously, defects I have spotted have not left me feeling overly concerned, however when I opened up this battery, I felt that there were significant problems that needed to be addressed (I imagine Yose power did too, as they issued a recall notice).

The person who started this thread claims the main power wire which is in close contact with the cells from one end of the pack to the other is capable of handling 48A. If this is the case, why is the pack fitted with a 50A fuse? In private messages, they have told me the 48A cable can handle more than 48A momentarily. Well, this does not inspire me with confidence. In a short circuit situation, with a failed BMS, the current could be far from momentary. On other Yose power packs I've had in the past, which were fitted with a 20A fuse, that fuse would not blow unless more than 30A was passed through it, 50% more than its rating. In a recent post on this forum, I think by @lenny a video of spade fuses were bought and tested and many were found to blow well above the specified current.

If I am designing a high powered circuit, I would never use a fuse with a higher rating than the maximum rating of the wiring system connecting things together. There has to be a significant margin for error, otherwise it is likely that the wiring will fail before the fuse designed to protect the wiring, with potentially disastrous consequences. In this triangular battery, the wire was in close contact with the cells, from one end of the pack to the other. I know from experience how easy it is for things to get hot very quickly and how quickly thin plastic can break down and shorts occur.

In my opinion, I believe the placement of the main current carrying wire is a poor design choice and a potential safety issue, especially when the wiring is a lower rating than the fuse in the system.

I believe that Yose power can do better than this. They could make a design where all of the main power cables, charge cables and sense cables are packaged away from the cells, resulting in a much safer design and a clear selling point over competitors.

Last edited:

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
fitted with a 20A fuse, that fuse would not blow unless more than 30A was passed through it, 50% more than its rating.
I think that this is the nature of fuses. They rely on heat to melt the fuse link, this takes time, time in which associated wiring is stressed. It's the main reason why mcb's are now used electrical installations instead of fuses. They are much more accurate and responsive.
As an electrician I know that cable ratings are variable. For instance a cable clipped direct to an open surface, such as a joist, will have a higher rating that the same size cable buried in an insulated wall. One would always want to see 'headroom' in the design, with the cable having a larger capacity than the fusing device.
Maybe the designers have been caught out here by the cable rating being lowered by it's enclosure in a tight, non ventilated space? The answer could be a 40A fuse instead of 50A. Might make it vulnerable to transient spikes though.
Wow! Who'd be a designer of dynamic systems?

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
Maybe I am naive, but isn't the fact that they have recalled some batteries indicative of a decent supplier? The bad people would do no such thing. I don't suppose they ever claimed to be infallible. Massive auto manufacturers have had to recall products and fix/replace them. I was unfortunate enough to once own a VW car affected by deliberate trickery in passing regulations. Manufacturers sometimes get things wrong. What counts is how often, and what they do when it happens.

EDIT: I think bringing up Tiananmen Square is bordering on racism.
Does the poster who raised that, think Yospower had a hand in that? Ridiculous.

Last edited:

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Maybe I am naive, but isn't the fact that they have recalled some batteries idictactive of a decent supplier? The bad people would do no such thing. I don't suppose they ever claimed to be infallible. Massive auto manufacturers have had to recall products and fix/replace them. I was unfortunate enough to once own a VW car affected by deliberate trickery in passing regulations. Manufacturers sometimes get things wrong. What counts is how often, and what they do when it happens.

EDIT: I think bringing up Tiananmen Square is bordering on racism.
Does the poster who raised that think Yospower had a hand in that? Ridiculous.
I agree with you Tony, a good company issues recalls, but then it needs to be done publicly and brought to everyone's attention, not done behind the scenes, as if trying to hide things. Then, to "harass" someone who tries to bring the recall to wider public attention, that is not on.

I am sorry you think the Tiananmen Square reference is bordering on racism. I never intend to be racist. It is about repression, dictatorship and the consequences. The people protesting were Chinese, the people doing the oppressing were Chinese. Race was not an issue. It is an issue of human rights and freedom of expression, wherever you are and whoever you are, it has nothing to do with race.

I work with people who are Chinese dissidents and they live in fear, even in this country, being threatened personally and also against their families back home. People working in China are prevented from learning about Tiananmen Square and other such incidents. Any form of dissent is strictly controlled.

Hence I will push back if someone tries to silence me.

Reactions: guerney

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I agree with almost all what you said, but that:

Tiananmen Square Massacre of 1989 please look it up if you can get through the national firewall.
was unnecessary and inappropriate. I would advice against taking high moral ground as we have skeletons in our closet too, like Bloody Sunday massacre.

• Agree
Reactions: AndyBike and flecc

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
Well we all have our own take on things and Jo may feel more harassed than Jack by exactly the same thing. I am inclined to go apoplectic myself when i get annoyed, so who am I to talk, but really, bringing up mass murder by a state ,using tanks to repress people is maybe, just a tad over the top when someone posted a message asking why there was a new thread.... Unless I am missing something, which I may be.

Everything i have seen (and I may have missed something) shows a company trying to correct /replace a flawed product and answering criticisms in a respectful manner. I also think we need when dealing with people from far away to be aware of cultural differences in the way they communicate. Personally, I speak VERY bad French and no other language. I can see how hard it is to address people in a foreign language.

Reactions: flecc

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I work with people who are Chinese dissidents and they live in fear, even in this country, being threatened personally and also against their families back home.
That's true of my Chinese neighbour a few doors down. Very carefully pauses and edits anything he says about the Chinese government before speaking, in case I'm some sort of informant. I think it's a cultivated habit, he'll enthusiastically witter about any other subject. He has family in Hong Kong. People gave his family in the UK a hard time during the pandemic.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: WheezyRider

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Because they are insisting I somehow delete the thread I started about their recall, ...
Just checking (and making the link more accessible if it is the right one): you mean the thread

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Just checking (and making the link more accessible if it is the right one): you mean the thread
That thread is the top result on Google for "Yose battery recall":

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It is about repression, dictatorship and the consequences. The people protesting were Chinese, the people doing the oppressing were Chinese. Race was not an issue. It is an issue of human rights and freedom of expression,
Precisely, nothing whatsoever to do with us and none of our business, so not for us to criticise. There are no such issues as human rights and freedom of expression outside of our own political sphere, they are fabrications we use as an excuse to interfere with other's national business.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I would advice against taking high moral ground as we have skeletons in our closet too, like Bloody Sunday massacre.
And even more relevant skeletions, like deliberately turning the Chinese into a nation of Opium addicts to take trading advantage.

They still call it their century of shame and will never forget our behaviour back then.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
I agree with almost all what you said, but that:

was unnecessary and inappropriate. I would advice against taking high moral ground as we have skeletons in our closet too, like Bloody Sunday massacre.

I am not taking any moral high ground. This country has done some good stuff in the past but also an awful lot of bad stuff too. But, we can talk about things like Bloody Sunday and many other incidents without being shut down or silenced. Even vague references to Tiananmen Square in China can get you into a lot of serious trouble.

Even in this country, we are on a slippery slope at the moment with regards to our right to protest. Hence the need to push back when our rights are trampled on.

So what was my point? This person, who has been in contact with me and also started this post who may or may not be a representative of the company (who could well be a troll in a troll farm) is likely to be in China. The mention of Tiananmen Square multiple times in this thread will have the censors in China going apoplectic. Will the OP be able to access this thread any longer? How will they feel about being unable to respond? It's not a great feeling being shut out of the discussion and silenced.

If people find it inappropriate, I'm happy to delete the part about Tiananmen Square in my post. I only ask that people think long and hard about defending their rights of self expression and also dealing with companies that shut down discussion, especially when it is related to critical safety issues.

Last edited:

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
I expect that Yospower is a medium to small business, trying to make a living out of making low cost batteries and selling e-bike motors. I don't think that when talking about their recall (on its own suggesting that they want to do right by their customers) we need to be dragging in the dodgy history of the Chinese Communist Party, Mid-nineteenth century British foreign policy, and Bloody Sunday. These I suggest, are entirely separate issues.

When the company has contacted their affected customers, I can understand the sensitivity of the people who work there to reputational damage by having it all over an e-bike forum. Rather than heavy handed Chinese government suppression, I think most likely that someone who works there, upset at their problem and trying to sort it out in the proper manner with those affected, suggested to Wheasyrider that more threads were not helping that much. It is a far smaller 'conspiracy' than some might think. I don't even think that word 'conspiracy' is right at all. My bet is that a person, who has spent ages supplying goods at the best price they can and standing behind them when they are less than good, is just really troubled by the prospect of the business's hard won reputation going down the pan.

Give them a break I say. If they don't sort out the problem, we have a very different situation, but that isn't what seems to be happening.

Last edited: