Oh dear- who's been throwing batteries in the bin?!

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Aside from the utterly careless, couldn't give a damn brigade, I suspect that lots of kit that contains batteries might well be taken to proper disposal points, but those supposedly responsible fail to handle it properly from there on.

I've long been amazed at the number of tyres fires we see. Where companies have been storing mountains of them and then they go up in smoke. Can't see why we allow them to be stored in such numbers, without proper fire precautions. And if not allowed, how come it happens? Someone failing to check?

How many of the tyres I have paid to have properly handled end up burning?

• Agree
Reactions: sjpt and flecc

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Cheap means of disposal, does the insurance company pay out for the lost value of the tyres too?
Last summer a huge plume of black smoke was visible from my house, maybe a mile away. Plastic recycling company, bales of compressed plastic waste stored outside the compound next to a public footpath. Just happened to set on fire!

• Informative
Reactions: oyster and flecc

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Thats how batteries can (sadly) enter into rubbish pits and landfills, which I recently mentioned here as well, though the people that replied to that topic were seeming unaware of what they were talking about!
Such chemicals are getting into the ground and poisoning it for many years to come....also any water supplies that just happen to drain through such areas....will be dangerous to both humans and animals that might drink it unknowingly!
One can only hope that the water is eventually drunk by the humans that did not dispose of batteries and other items safely!
Its a menace.
Andy

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
people that replied to that topic were seeming unaware of what they were talking about!
Such chemicals are getting into the ground and poisoning it for many years to come....
What poisonous substances are in lithium batteries then?

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
What poisonous substances are in lithium batteries then?
The batteries, which are found in billions of consumer devices like smartphones and tablets, were found to leak more than 100 toxic gases including carbon monoxide. The gases, which are potentially fatal, can cause strong irritation to the skin, eyes and nasal passages, and harm the wider environment.
Do you need any further infos? If yes, just ask, as there is a big bundle of information on the internet about the dangers of certain cell types.
Furthermore, different company's add slightly different chemicals to the "mix", making it difficult to know what levels of poison are developed.
A recent announcement from Tesla, suggests that they are not going to use Lithium batteries in their cars anymore in 2021, for reasons of safety!
These videos will educate you further, if you watch them:-
Andy

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
A recent announcement from Tesla, suggests that they are not going to use Lithium batteries
No it didn't say that.

The statement was that they are to cease using any cobalt in their lithium batteries cathodes.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The batteries, which are found in billions of consumer devices like smartphones and tablets, were found to leak more than 100 toxic gases including carbon monoxide. The gases, which are potentially fatal, can cause strong irritation to the skin, eyes and nasal passages, and harm the wider environment.
Do you need any further infos? If yes, just ask, as there is a big bundle of information on the internet about the dangers of certain cell types.
Furthermore, different company's add slightly different chemicals to the "mix", making it difficult to know what levels of poison are developed.
A recent announcement from Tesla, suggests that they are not going to use Lithium batteries in their cars anymore in 2021, for reasons of safety!
These videos will educate you further, if you watch them:-
Andy
The gasses only come out when the batteries burn, not when you put them in the ground. you need to do a bit more internet research or actually read what you find.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Carbon Monoxide - we deal with that all the time. Unless the said batteries are giving it off in a closed inhabited space then that doesn't really create a problem.
Far more of an issue currently is Dihydrogen Monoxide, falling out of the sky. How many people and animals a year die, even partial immersion for a few minutes can result in death. It erodes land and property too.

• :D
Reactions: robert44

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Yes it is the Ockendon clay pit a old Blue circle cement site
One man has a contract just to collect and rehome the reptiles to another area :cool:
Last December the mound was about 100 foot hole down below the ground now 100ft above

• Informative

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Aside from the utterly careless, couldn't give a damn brigade, I suspect that lots of kit that contains batteries might well be taken to proper disposal points, but those supposedly responsible fail to handle it properly from there on.

I've long been amazed at the number of tyres fires we see. Where companies have been storing mountains of them and then they go up in smoke. Can't see why we allow them to be stored in such numbers, without proper fire precautions. And if not allowed, how come it happens? Someone failing to check?

How many of the tyres I have paid to have properly handled end up burning?
Most probably you're paying for your tyres to be put on a ship to the third world somewhere, where they are then burned to extract the steel.

Reactions: oyster

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Remember, matter can neither be created nor destroyed.
The old saying is that it is energy that cannot be created or destroyed, simply transformed from one form to another.

Remember that E=mC2 and the sun converts 4 million tonnes of hydrogen into helium every second and in the process "destroys" a lot of matter, converting the mass into energy.

Matter is created all the time around black holes due to Hawking radiation.

Pairs of particles pop into and out of existence all the time. So long as these complimentary particles annihilate each other and disappear again, it doesn't break the rules. However, near a black hole, if the pair pops into existence near the even horizon and one particle gets pulled into the black hole, the other can be radiated into space as created matter.

Seems to me like the Physicists can make up the rules as they go along :)

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Seems to me like the Physicists can make up the rules as they go along :)
I think its more the case that we quote what we mere humans on planet earth can do, therefore "matter can neither be created or destroyed".

Enabling me to have the comforting thought that I have always existed and always will, you'll never get rid of me! :)