Oh no, 190 miles in and TSDZ2 strange noise

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
I think I may give this a try. I'm convinced this is where the problem lies and it is clearly a known bug-bear. The bearings are cheap and easy to source, page 308 of the notorious ES thread gives details of the bearings and the varieties most likely to keep water out.

Did you find the dust seals were easy enough to get out without destroying them?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Dust seals come out easy with no damage, the RHS will be excess to requirements so keep as a spare. Use pointy tweezers or a needle to tease the LHS side out if need be.

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
Ok, I'm struggling to ignore the noise which I think is getting worse. I also think the amount of play in the chainring is increasing. No circlip pliers to hand so difficult to see what may be happening behind but have taken off the spider and gear housing case.

There appears to be a LOT of play in the sprag clutch bearing - is this normal? https://file.io/YRV5XOtXQtT3

There is a bit of play on the main shaft but the bulk of the play is the big bearing. I tend to think it is completely knackered. I first noticed the noise at 190 miles and at 330 miles it is getting worse and the chainring has more movement. @Woosh, if this is not normal, I understand the bearing needs to be pressed out and a new one pressed in.

Keen not to let it continue until something more significant breaks, like damage to the teath or the TS or something.

Edit: have tracked down some circlip pliers so I'll take off the big cog and see if there is some other part that is grinding away. With the amount of play it is quite conceivable the big gear is touching the housing under pedal load. Alternatively, a couple of degrees twist gets amplified at the far end of the chain. Either way, it's not ideal.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
This has never happened before in a nearly brand new motor. If you want to send the motor to Andy so he can have a look at it, please email support@wooshbikes.co.uk
A short video clip to illustrate the issue is most welcome.