OH NO!! Brand New & Error 30

t1sugar

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 28, 2017
Newcastle
Hi Folks,

I took the plunge and bought a BBS02B 36v 500w motor and started fitting it, first time I connected the battery there was a small spark from the connector, I thought nothing of it as it all powered up ok.

I then proceeded to shorten the battery cables and soldered together, tested, Great! all working as expected. I then fitted everything to the bike tested and again working :)

I then decided to shorten the harness so that it better fitted my bike, tested with multimeter all was showing good continuity. plugged it in and after the screen (c961) initialised it goes to
Error 30.

I have tried to connect it to the computer via programming cable and it just hangs, so it also not communicating.

I have ordered a new harness in case that is the issue, but I fear after reading about error 30 it may be the controller, I am gutted, as I havent even ridden it yet.

In the event the harness was fine (waiting on new one) and it most likely is the controller would this do as a replacement:

http://dillengerelectricbikes.co.uk/spares/bafang-8fun/bafang-controllers-by-bafang.html

I cant find the exact match closet is the bbso2b 48v : Could this work? my battery was bought as part of the kit and as such is 36v so not sure if this is suitable.

Praying to the elec bike gods that it is the harness.

Any advise, guidance or places to get a BBS02B 36v 500w controller in the event it is fried.

Many thanks
T

D

Deleted member 4366

The spark is normal and harmless. Are you sure that you didn't cross any wires in the harness. If the display lights up, you have the battery and ground wires correct. If you get error 30 straight away, it means that the display is not communicating with the controller. That means that one or both of the communication wires are broken or faulty CPU in the display or faulty CPU in the controller.

For the controller, it's possible also that something else could be faulty on the 5v rail, which is pulling down the 5v so the CPU can't work, so disconnect everything you can except the display. Without the speed sensor, you will still get error 30, but not immediately.

t1sugar

Oct 28, 2017
Newcastle
Many thanks for the reply, it's much appreciated.
I had read about the odd spark so was half expecting it, and discounted it as an issue just thought I would mention it in case I was mistaken.

when I first power on, the screen loads as expected (all data fields shown), the battery icon in the corner flashes empty twice then the screen blanks out except for the error code in the bottom right.
I have tried disconnecting everything except for the screen and the result is the same. I have also double checked the connections and all colours line up, also tested with multimeter continuity test using a pin out your goodself posted on anther thread.

I am at a loss, all I can do at this stage is wait for the new harness and see if that is the issue, being the last thing I tinkered with.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
As has been said 30 is comms between controller and lcd.
If all was ok when the harness was fitted before you shortened it, then I would also suspect that this is the main issue. Although brand new a check of the Julet connectors is a good idea to rule out a bent or misaligned pin at both ends. Other possible cause for 30 concerns the controller hall connector inside this has been known to be an issue but usually after some use.

t1sugar

Oct 28, 2017
Newcastle
Thank you for your help, I've checked the connectors pins and all look good, non are bent.
Is the Hall Connector, or do you mean Hall Sensor located in the controller? and if so is it accessible, i.e. not covered in the silicone I have seen in some pictures.
Many thanks again for your input muchos appreciated.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The hall wire connector for the controller to motor, as you have seen is gunked with silicone but this can stop a proper connection if the plug has dislodged a little. The controller hall sensors are imbedded in a grey rubber silicone along with the pcb they are attached to.

Reactions: t1sugar
D

Deleted member 4366

I'm not convinced that the LCD connector is failsafe. I've got a feeling that it's possible to touch pins in the wrong position if you just try and twizzle it in without lining it up properly, in which case you can instantly kill the controller, LCD or both. I don't have a cable to hand to test, but have a look to see if that's a possibility, but don't allow them to touch.

Reactions: t1sugar

t1sugar

Oct 28, 2017
Newcastle
Many thanks again Folks,

I don't think I twizzled it in, instead i use the arrows to align the connector. It may be possible to touch adjacent pins, but I don't think that is the issue in this instance, as the pins all look straight and undamaged and I have been as careful as I can be when lining the connectors up.

t1sugar

Oct 28, 2017
Newcastle
The hall wire connector for the controller to motor, as you have seen is gunked with silicone but this can stop a proper connection if the plug has dislodged a little. The controller hall sensors are imbedded in a grey rubber silicone along with the pcb they are attached to.
Many thanks again,

I unscrewed carefully the controller and had a peek inside, I also pressed down on the connector just in case, but it appears to be seated ok.

I hope to have my New Harness by end of today so that should help narrow down the issue, praying it is the harness.

t1sugar

Oct 28, 2017
Newcastle
New harness arrived Very Kindly Hand delivered by Eclipse Bikes, Thank You very much, amazing service.

Unfortunately the same error code exists :( so it appears to be either the controller or LCD, I suspect it's the controller (can't for the life of me think what could have happened) I say the controller because when I connect a programming lead ch340 and ftdi (tested both) I cant connect where I could before this all happened (I tested it after I connected the first time and all was good and working) in doing this it excludes the lcd so logic says it's the controller... Dam it....

jarob10

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
Uk
My first bbs01 motor has chewed up two controllers - both resulting in a 30 error. The first failed after 8 miles, it's replacement failed after about 1000 miles.

Ive a suspicion there's an intermittent fault within the motor causing the 30 controller failure, but don't have a clue where to look.
It's possible the OP motor is similarly afflicted.

I should really return the motor back to the uk supplier as it's less than 12 months old

t1sugar

Oct 28, 2017
Newcastle
My first bbs01 motor has chewed up two controllers - both resulting in a 30 error. The first failed after 8 miles, it's replacement failed after about 1000 miles.

Ive a suspicion there's an intermittent fault within the motor causing the 30 controller failure, but don't have a clue where to look.
It's possible the OP motor is similarly afflicted.

I should really return the motor back to the uk supplier as it's less than 12 months old
This is interesting, its done 0.4miles (static not under load). alas due to me splicing into cables I would have thought that would void any chance of sending it back under warranty.

GraemeH

Just Joined
Nov 9, 2020
Hi T - I was wondering how you eventually sorted it. I have the exact same 30 H error (though everything seems to work except for pedal assist) having shortened the wiring harness and I too have ordered another one but it hasn't come yet. Was it the controller or the LCD?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Not sure you'll get a reply from the OP, as this is a 3 year old thread and t1sugar has only posted 15 messages in all that time.

Have you tried connecting to the controller with a cable and software, to see if the controller is still functional?

GraemeH

Just Joined
Nov 9, 2020
Okay thanks - yes I did wonder with a three year old thread. I don't have the cable at the moment. Will wait for the harness and if that doesn't cure the problem I will order the controller cable.