Oh no , not cheating again !

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
My Brother and I are both over 80 years old and were riding our Ebikes the other night through the local Porthkerry Country Park when we passed a Cyclist on a bicycle pausing for breath . He remarked `cheating ` to which I honestly replied ` when you get to 80 you too will appreciate some assistance ` to which he replied `I am 78 `. OUCH !! I know this comes up regularly on this Forum but usually in my experience the Riders making the remarks are a lot younger . As we have been riding Ebikes for 9 years and 7 years respectively perhaps he had a point ! It is difficult to tell age when the Rider is wearing a Cycling helmet .

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

trevor brooker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2018
maidstone
just remember that according to surveys that those using ebikes are more likely to cycle & for longer distances, whilst normal bicycles are used perhaps only a couple of times in a year, so you are cheating by not sitting around on the sofa because the effort of pedalling uphill stops you getting on your bike.

• Agree
Reactions: Nev and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
just remember that according to surveys that those using ebikes are more likely to cycle & for longer distances, whilst normal bicycles are used perhaps only a couple of times in a year, so you are cheating by not sitting around on the sofa because the effort of pedalling uphill stops you getting on your bike.
Indeed. I was just a utility cyclist using a bike as transport, but my brother was a keen sport cyclist, a member of a cycling club and taking part in Audax rides of up to 125 miles.

But one day when chatting it transpired that I'd ridden over 5000 miles the previous year and he had not reached 1000 miles.

Basically I rode on any day, but he was a fair weather Sunday cyclist.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I use my lot as much as I can this week I have used four of my ebikes, and for tasks I don't usually use them for. With the weather being as it is locally using the car makes no sense, also have a used CF bike trailer coming via ebay so at least two bikes will get used more for towing.

MarcusT

Pedelecer
May 5, 2019
NE Italy
Last week I did over 4,000 meters (accumulative) of ascents on mountain trails. There was a mix of Emtb, normal mtb and hikers. Never got a comment because at the top of the mountain, the views were so spectacular, nobody cared how you got there.

VillageIdiotDan

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2019
Last week I did over 4,000 meters (accumulative) of ascents on mountain trails. There was a mix of Emtb, normal mtb and hikers. Never got a comment because at the top of the mountain, the views were so spectacular, nobody cared how you got there.

View attachment 31194
That's absolutely beautiful. I had assumed based on your post time it was North America but see you're in Italy so must have just got back from a club! :)

BidelloZ

Pedelecer
Jun 25, 2019
Funny that "cheating" remark.

I guess I must still be in the club of the hardcore cyclists....NOT. Since mine is a cargo, when I'm hauling kids I get a lot of interested looks from bystanders and especially (genuinely?) interested car drivers. But when overtaking a cyclist (yeah my cargo can go fast as it ain't your standard lazy bakfiets) I usually get the "what the hell is that?!?" which does put me in some weird category.
But wait for my e-kit to be installed, and I'll join the cheat club.

My mate keeps saying it's just fashion, if he can do 90 miles of hilly terrain on his road bike, I don't certainly need a motor since I'm fitter and (much) lighter than him. Oh yeah he lives abroad and got no clue of what pushing 180kg of stuff uphill is like. Here comes the motor:p

Reactions: LeighPing

MarcusT

Pedelecer
May 5, 2019
NE Italy
I guess you could call any and all tech advancements cheating.
-late 1800s, introduction of the multi cog rear wheel, but was not allowed in races until the 1930s
-Tubular tires (sew-ups)
-1930, the first quick release ,wheel. In those days they had to repair their own flats.
and so on...
Yes, the motor is a big jump, but no one is saying that pedelecs should compete against non-motorized.
Just like you would not race a MTB against a road bike
Of course they are here to stay. The people who think it's only a fashion are the same people who probably think vinyl records are gong to make a come back, or film photography.
In 20 years they are going to laugh at us, when they see the heavy, bulky motors we used with such limited range.
In the mean time. I am doing climbs that most people would never attempt, including myself without assistance.

-

Slartibartfast

Pedelecer
Jan 4, 2019
Attitudes will change in time and e-bikes will be seen as alternative transport to the car for almost anyone, like the Dutch do already, and not fashion accessories to bring you to the point of a heart attack.

Did some supermarket shopping with mine today. Bike weighed a ton with 8 pints of milk, cider, beer, all the essentials you know, but I came up some huge hills I would not have considered with my standard bike. Beat the traffic too!

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
it amazes me how popular they are becoming, even among the young and fit. They are becoming much more accepted, but with the evolution of any change there will be a few hardcore resisters. My son is an avid mountainbiker and downhiller spending ridiculous amounts on his kit. Even he, after deriding me a few years ago is now contemplating going over to the ''Dark Side'' after trialling an Ebike recently in Morzine. Times change and my sense is that the Ebike revolution is gathering pace, and may even be accelerated by the relaxation of rules around the cycle to work scheme

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Quite a few on here are the real early adopter's and have seen some big advances in the last 20 years.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and gray198