Old Cyclist

melvyn

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 2, 2015
Hi Guys,
I've been cycling for the last 60+ years but have reached the stage where cycling up hills is no longer the challenge it once was and am looking I'm for a little help on the steepest ones. I used to cycle camp around France with 30lbs of kit on board but the change over from the Frank to the Euro seemed to be the time things became less attractive over there. So now I'm happy doing local rides up to perhaps 20 miles or so, but living in a very hilly part of the country the prospect of going out is no longer pleasurable. Also, the increase in ICU driven road traffic over the last few decades is particularly noticeable, anyone who was cycling in the 1950s will remember those last halcyon days of traffic free roads. Anyway, I'm presently following the thread about eBay Kits, so I will be bouncing a few questions off our learned forum members over there soon.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
anyone who was cycling in the 1950s will remember those last halcyon days of traffic free roads.
Welcome to the forum Melvyn. Indeed I remember those 1950s days, for example one trip on a sunny Sunday afternoon riding a motorbike the 25 miles from Bournemouth to Southampton I saw nothing else in my direction and just two cars going in the other direction! Driving and riding could almost be lonely back then.

But my funniest empty road experience was much more recent. In Northern Ireland on business in the 1970s and driving a Hertz rental Granada, I turned onto their new M1 motorway. After several miles and having seen nothing else I began to wonder if it was open yet and whether I should be on it.

Eventually a small car appeared travelling slowly on the opposite carriageway, the driver hanging out of the window, enthusiastically waving and smiling to me. Clearly another vehicle on their motorway was such a rare event at that time that the locals would wave greetings to each other on sight. Mind boggling!

mijak

Pedelecer
Jan 17, 2014
ilkeston, Derbyshire.
Hi Guys,
I've been cycling for the last 60+ years but have reached the stage where cycling up hills is no longer the challenge it once was and am looking I'm for a little help on the steepest ones. I used to cycle camp around France with 30lbs of kit on board but the change over from the Frank to the Euro seemed to be the time things became less attractive over there. So now I'm happy doing local rides up to perhaps 20 miles or so, but living in a very hilly part of the country the prospect of going out is no longer pleasurable. Also, the increase in ICU driven road traffic over the last few decades is particularly noticeable, anyone who was cycling in the 1950s will remember those last halcyon days of traffic free roads. Anyway, I'm presently following the thread about eBay Kits, so I will be bouncing a few questions off our learned forum members over there soon.
Welcome i to am Getting on in years, but bike daily with my electric bike, its very hilly round here too, and the electric helps a lot on the hills, atb, mike.

melvyn

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 2, 2015
Welcome to the forum Melvyn. Indeed I remember those 1950s days, for example one trip on a sunny Sunday afternoon riding a motorbike the 25 miles from Bournemouth to Southampton I saw nothing else in my direction and just two cars going in the other direction! Driving and riding could almost be lonely back then.

But my funniest empty road experience was much more recent. In Northern Ireland on business in the 1970s and driving a Hertz rental Granada, I turned onto their new M1 motorway. After several miles and having seen nothing else I began to wonder if it was open yet and whether I should be on it.

Eventually a small car appeared travelling slowly on the opposite carriageway, the driver hanging out of the window, enthusiastically waving and smiling to me. Clearly another vehicle on their motorway was such a rare event at that time that the locals would wave greetings to each other on sight. Mind boggling!
Yep, and the average small affordable car could only cruise at 35mph, my own 1947 Ford 8 Van was flat out at 45mph.:D

BTW, there's a typo in my original post, ICU should read ICE (Internal Combustion Engine).

Reactions: flecc

OldBob1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2012
Staffordshire
Melvyn Hi, most E-bike are a great assist, but my advise is have a go at as many you can try.
If you see one on the road flag him down and have a chat, you may find he/she may let you try there's.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
ICU should read ICE (Internal Combustion Engine)
I think for the younger folk of which sadly I'm not one, this would mean "in car entertainment".
In car entertainment for me was, will the brakes work well enough to stop me at the next halt sign, will it get me home, will the wipers work if it rains, will it start in the morning, can I get home with the fuel gauge showing zero (yes if the needle jumps about a bit) and can I afford 4 quid to fill the tank on Friday, etc, etc.
Happy days .
Anyway, back on track you'll find many like minded folk on here and get loads of help and advice.
Dave.