Old shop bike conversion

Tarka

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2019
You know the sort, really old heavy bike with a small front wheel with wicker basket and an advertising panel in the frame.

I have this idea of getting one and stealthily converting it to electric. I like the thought of overtaking the lycra boys up a steep hill whilst wearing a flat cap.

Has anyone already done this?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
A few years ago, I converted a shopper bike with 20" wheels. I was out testing it with my riding pal going up a very long steep hill, when I passed a struggling roadie. I said, "good afternoon" as I passed, and I got a very friendly reply from him. A few seconds later, my pal passed him on his electric MTB and said, "hi" or something like that to which the roadie replied, pointing at me, "What the hell is he on?" My pal caught me up and told me about it. After a while, I felt sorry for the roadie, so I had to slow down and explain that our bikes were electric.

He seemed to be a really nice friendly guy. If he had blanked me when I greeted him, I think I would have just left him to wonder as I have to many others.

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
You know the sort, really old heavy bike with a small front wheel with wicker basket and an advertising panel in the frame.

I have this idea of getting one and stealthily converting it to electric. I like the thought of overtaking the lycra boys up a steep hill whilst wearing a flat cap.

Has anyone already done this?
lol book in one hand, throttle in t'other,an a mug of brown ale in a handlebar cup holder...do it!

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
I spent all last summer riding my Wisper around the Peak District mainly dressed in check trousers, shirt and waistcoat sailing past the lycra clad racers struggling up the Cat and Fiddle road such fun.