On different usage modes for electric bicycles: A Preliminary User Study

Slowfeet

Finding my (electric) wheels
I'm not an old hand when it comes to electric cycles. Still, I have in the short time I have enjoyed the Wisper 905Se, identified several distinct usage modes:

(i) The Free Lunch Mode (a.k.a. Terror on Two Wheels Mode): The first few trips were done in full time assisted mode only. Relatively to my other cycles I covered large distances in a short time with only light input from me. This is great for getting to work, or keeping up with a significantly better cyclist. You can also scare the living daylight out of a team of competitive cyclists out training by sitting glued to their rear wheels up a long hill while talking relaxed on a cell phone. Very depressing for them, I am sure.

(ii) The Scenic Drive Mode (a.k.a. "Good Boy!" Mode): After getting over the joy of full time assist, I started experimenting with switching the assist off and on. Unassisted the speed is low and provides for ample time to enjoy the scenery and communicate with exited dogs guarding important grass fields. When the dog catches up with you, and just before the rear tire is punctured, you switch on the motor, and the dog bites the dust instead. Very depressing for "Good Boy", I am sure.

(iii) The Drag Race Mode (a.k.a. Red Light Mode): In the old days before an electric cycle came into my life, stopping at red lights were often done by slowing down, biding my time waiting for the lights to change, performing balancing acts like a circus acrobat. These days, with the Wisper humming contentedly beneath me, I just stop and wait while the others perform their acrobatic exercises. Just when the light turns yellow the acrobats take off with a relieved sigh. I, of course, wait for the green light, and easily catch up with the acrobats a moment later, still accelerating. Very depressing for them, I am sure.

(iv) The Magic Mode (a.k.a. "What Goes Down, Must Come Up" Mode): We all learned at school, or the hard way, that gravity works one way only. Downwards. How wrong we were. When cycling up a long hill most will reach a point where they hope gravity would work both ways. That is when you, the electric magician, turn the throttle up, stop pedaling and spread your legs to make sure the others notice, and roll up the hill as easily as they roll down. "What the 'ell??" you hear them gasp. Very depressing for them, I am sure.

I enclose a couple of pictures taken during the user study.

Slowfeet

Attachments

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Great summary of the e-biking pleasures we enjoy Slowfeet, although that snow is as rare as hens teeth in most of Britain now.

On my usual roads all the sport riders know me and my bikes now, so I'm unable to surprise them any more. On one particular training route with a continuous 4 mile climb some of them use me as a pace bike, endeavouring to stay with me all the way up. Some of them can manage that at 12 / 13 mph that I do on my slower bike up there, but when i'm on my faster bike and climbing at 16 mph, they've learnt to give up. :D

johnl

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
When I ride with the assist level at 4 (the maximum) on the Bionx, I'm riding in "Dick Cheney" mode. When I pedal most of the way to work and only use the assist on the steepest uphill and then use the unit in regenerative mode on the way home, I'm travelling in "Al Gore" mode. In "Al Gore" mode I can go for hundreds of miles without ever recharging the battery from the plug in charger.