One of three (I think!!)

D

Deleted member 33385

It's only strange if you don't know the history. Recently we have had a load of newly joined members with a thread more or less identical to yours mentioning the same bikes, which are all pretty unusual, not the sort of thing you'd find in your local ebike shop.

I wonder why the site admin doesn't simply disable access to mutiple identities using the same IP address? Of course, that won't always work because of VPNs.

Clever people know how to manipulate the algorithms to bring their stuff to the top of the searches.

Google (about 95% use Google) for instance uses dozens of factors in their "Secret" sauce indexing system - but despite their obscuring with great prejudice, which factors those are now... the old methods still work decades later, beause it all functions (ranking of all of their websites) in fundamentally the same way: It's like working out clockwork, without being able to open the clock.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Search_engine_optimization

Last edited:

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
Vanmoof will crop up as it‘s in a lot of the consumer electronics magazines such as T3, Stuff etc. I doubt they’ve been ridden or reviewed by the magazine staff as it’ll probably be a cut and paste from another source or advertorial.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Vanmoof will crop up as it‘s in a lot of the consumer electronics magazines such as T3, Stuff etc. I doubt they’ve been ridden or reviewed by the magazine staff as it’ll probably be a cut and paste from another source or advertorial.
That's a good point. You often see the same corporate press release stuff in all the reviews.

Even the good review sites only ever review the bike as it stands in front of them. None talk about cost of running , other to say that it costs 5p to charge, and none talk about servicing and replacement parts, which for many owners turn out to be more inmportant than what the bike is supposed to do.

D

Deleted member 33385

That's a good point. You often see the same corporate press release stuff in all the reviews.

Even the good review sites only ever review the bike as it stands in front of them. None talk about cost of running , other to say that it costs 5p to charge, and none talk about servicing and replacement parts, which for many owners turn out to be more inmportant than what the bike is supposed to do.

Magazine reviewers of any product rarely try them! It saves the manufacturer costs if all they do is pay a fee for a paid review: printers, laptops, ebikes.... even when they feature convincing looking photos. I've been well diddled by many a magazine review.

Reactions: mike killay
D

Deleted member 33385

"I've used the electronic lock on my Vanmoof using the phone app, now it won't unlock and my bike is stuck in the town centre".

Anything electronic like an ebike which requires an app to function is to be avoided lol! I bought a security cam last year, it wouldn't work unless I updated the firmware. Once it downloaded it's firmware to itself through it's app running on my phone, it promptly informed me that "This firmware cannot be used", and stopped working with the app - it's now a paperweight. There's no way to remove the new firmware to make it work, and it won't allow a previous version to work , after communication with the app. I tried many methods every so often for weeks to revive it... it's bricked, but I got a refund... good old ebay. The prospect of something similar happening with a ££££ ebike... companies do tend to set up backend information systems when a device is launched but then abandon that infrastructure when that becomes financially unsustainable, or they'll suddenly charge when they suggested it would always be free.

Reactions: mike killay

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Is good to see you back. Where have you been?
Is your Cyclotricity Carrera still going?
Thanks for asking. I've been here all the time though. Just reading mostly. :)

Yes, the £300 Cyclotricity Carrera, that I bought off 'Dave' here in March 2017 :oops: , is still going strong. That's my daughter riding it in the video above, from last May. I must give it a good look over at some point.

My grandson will be tall enough to ride it this year. Last year he had his first go on another inexpensive ebike that I also bought from a member here. The slightly smaller unisex MTB with the Oxydrive kit on it (video above). Lots of cheap, healthy fun for all the family.

He's been biking, up to 8 miles at a time, since he was 4 years old. He'll be 10 soon. Officially, as you know, he can't ride an ebike legally, on the road, until he's 14. So I bought him a vanilla 20" Carrera for his birthday. It's great, and he loves it of course. Although you just can't beat an old e-mtb for some off piste fun with your granddad.. and his mutt. :p

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Yes, the £300 Cyclotricity Carrera, that I bought off 'Dave' here in March 2017 :oops: , is still going strong. That's my daughter riding it in the video above, from last May. I must give it a good look over at some point.
If you see Dave again, say hello to him from me - nice bloke, he built all my bikes for me for nothing, just the cost of the parts.

01wellsd

Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2020
Bristol
I can recommend Wisper. I use mine for the same sort of thing that you mentioned in your first post.
I did have a problem with it, but Wisper collected the bike, fixed it and had it returned within a couple of weeks.
Their aftersales is second to none.

I've also heard great things about Woosh on this forum.

01wellsd

Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2020
Bristol
Forgot to say,
This is a review I did on my Wisper 705se if you were to consider them

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

slowcoach

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2020
I can recommend Wisper. I use mine for the same sort of thing that you mentioned in your first post.
I did have a problem with it, but Wisper collected the bike, fixed it and had it returned within a couple of weeks.
Their aftersales is second to none.
Wish I could say the same. They have had mine back in their factory for about a year now and still nothing.