open frame versus diamond frame

Joe

Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2008
one opinion expressed is that thieves are less likely to target an open frame as diamond frames are more numerous/popular and easier to sell on.

what do you think?
and are electric bikes more or less likely to be a target?

all things being equal. anything that is not locked up/nailed down is at risk these days. so both examples above open versus diamond
and electric versus non electric are locked up say at your local supermarket or train station.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Your first point is true I think Joe, diamond frame more attractive to thieves.

On the e-bike versus normal bike theft issue, I'm not convinced that e-bikes are more attractive to thieves. The market to shift them is smaller, they don't get the key or the charger which causes further complications, and pedalling away a heavy e-bike without power isn't fun, and multiplies the chance of someone running catching them.

A very high proportion of all theft is to finance drug habits, and a quick £20/£30 turnover is much more important to that sort of thief than a high amount received long after.

The supermarket is much safer, since a thief expects you to return at any moment. A train station indicates you could be at work all day, so that's probably the worst place of all to park. Best park at a nearby supermarket and walk to the station, but change the supermarket regularly so a regular thief doesn't learn your habit.

Last edited:
M

mk1

They would probably be more likely to go for the diamond frame version. Having said that I think they will go for anything if you make it easy for them.
I doubt they would have the intelligence to notice it was electric anyway.

Martin

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
I believe that the easier a bike is to steal the more likely it is to be stolen - so locks, location and time are the most important.

Given the choice of two, the rational thief would probably take the more 'trendy' bike - so probably not the step-through frame. I think my Wisper would get stolen more readily than my wife's step-through Powacycle.

The thief might be put off by two aspects of the electric bike - wierdness, with wires in strange places - and heavier weight. Given that our rational thief might take the non-electric first!

No evidence, just opinion.

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
My own belief is that thieves will take whatever is easiest, usually picking on the bike with the weakest lock, only when faced with a row of different bikes with similar locks will they become selective. I don't think most have the intelligence to differentiate between different bike types although as the recent theft of a Brompton from a forum members car shows there are exceptions.
The more intelligent thieves (a relative term) may choose to avoid electrics knowing that the lack of a charger and possibly keys will make them harder to fence.

I did today see an electric bike of unknown make leaning on a wall on a Nuneaton industrial estate, and despite having no visible locks it was still there 2 hours later.

M

mk1

I did today see an electric bike of unknown make leaning on a wall on a Nuneaton industrial estate, and despite having no visible locks it was still there 2 hours later.
Seeing some of the crap selling on ebay, if they got stolen, the thief would probably bring them back the next day.

Joe

Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2008
pretty much a concensus then. i certainly think that an open frame electric bike is the least attractive target for a thief. agreed too that location of bike and your habits are important. the thread probably begs another hold question: which type (and how many) locks do you use?

on the kalkhoff the weight of the agattu and the integral wheel lock offer a good start.

I use a mid range cable lock for short periods unattended and double up with a d lock for longer periods.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I use a mid range cable lock for short periods unattended and double up with a d lock for longer periods.
I do almost exactly the same Joe, always a heavy cable lock, supplemented by a wheel lock when I had the lafree but now the supplement is an additional cable lock.

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
I use a D-lock as the main one, supplemented by a cable for longer periods / more exposed places.

Neither are high end locks but I believe that together they are much more secure than one expensive lock or two locks of the same type, because:

every now and again someone works out how to pick a given lock - we had it with D-locks and Bic biros, and recently with Axa locks - but picking two different types and brands is far more challenging.

to force a D-lock a thief needs a jack and to cut a cable he would need bolt cutters. I believe that most thieves would be carrying one or the other, not both!

Frank

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
to force a D-lock a thief needs a jack and to cut a cable he would need bolt cutters. I believe that most thieves would be carrying one or the other, not both!

Frank
Sadly in London, and probably elsewhere, there's another class of bike and motorbike thief, the one with a van. As long as it's a cable lock to the bike stand or lamp post which they can cut, the rest doesn't matter.

I always like to use bike stands or locking points well away from road edges where possible for that reason.

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
If they've got a jack, bolt cutters and a van then they can nick the bike whatever lock you've got.

I feel it's about playing the probabilities to make your bike look that bit harder to steal. So I always get both locks round something solid such as a bike rack. Keeping it away from the road could help too.

Joe

Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2008
what about a movement triggered audible alarm (are there such things for a bike ). i know we tend to ignore car alarms now but if you were within earshot (inside your place or work or local shops) it might be enough to save your bike. though now we are into territory of confrontation.depends how serious or desperate the thief is.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
They do exist and I put one on my Q bike Joe.

You'll see it here, but this one wasn't available recently so there could be difficulty in getting it.