Opening a shop, which brands are the best??

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
And yes its come to my attention that there seems to be 2 camps, the hub lovers and the mid motor lovers!! I will reserve judgement and try and learn about both before I pick a side!
Best not pick a side, they both have their pluses and minuses, like many experienced assisted cyclists I've owned and enjoyed both at the same time over years.

The preference is very personal to each individual, so it's best to offer the choice for them to try where possible.

CaptainCol

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 19, 2020
I've been looking for a bike now for a couple of months. I'd have liked to try Wisper,Juicy and Woosh. Shops in Ayr only stock a couple of brands. Budget range for one shop is raleigh, other shop is ezego, Raleigh is out of my budget,and no stock of ezego until September or October. Both shops have much more expensive ranges. Kilmarnock and Irvine both have expensive bikes, starting from around two thousand. Have a look at powerbikes in Dumfries. They have a great range starting from around a thousand. I've thought about buying from them,but I want the service of a fairly local shop. I'm surprised at what you say about mountain bikes. I've been e bike spotting since Christmas,and see far more mountain bikes than Dutch style bikes,apart from along the sea front. Have a look on gumtree and eBay too,as most of the bikes for sale locally seem to be mountain bikes. Let me know when you plan to open . Also remember the Scottish government loan scheme for four years interest free credit on e bikes. Good luck
Yes Sprockets in Kilmarnock stock high end bikes. The Bike post in Troon stock Volt bikes, they seem to be doing good. What I meant when I said mountain biking wasn't so popular here was the kind of serious riders that'll you find at Glentress or Innerleithen. Most of the mtbs you'll see people on here will be the lower end bikes from halfords and such like. I could be wrong though, there is a big scene in Glasgow. Most of the cyclists I see around these parts are either lycra'd up roadies, teenagers or older people going out for a relaxing jaunt... I just had a look at power bikes, they've got loads! E motorbikes too!

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
Hi, to me knowledge and staff training is key to any successful business, I imagine these are the type of questions you will be asked (amongst others):

1. What's the difference between a hub and crank drive? Advantages / disadvantages for each.
2. How long does a battery last on a ride?
3. How long does a battery last (lifetime)?
4. What is PAS?
5. Whats the difference between a cadance and torque sensor?

I would also have a fact sheet for customers explaining the answers to these questions.

Panniers that fit all bike racks you have in stock, some clothing (Endura, Scottish company) and tools. I wish you all the best and as I live in Scotland I might come and visit.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Your right, I retract that comment! I'm just feeling a little anti Chinese at the moment for obvious reasons!
Not forgetting nearly all mid drive motors are constructed in the Orient, even Bosch aren't without their faults with after care CS woeful when the two year warranty is finished.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You need a range of bikes: Cheaper hub-motored bikes, like Eco-bike or Battribike; more expensive Chines, like Wisper, Oxygen or Volt; A range of crank-drive bikes of all types, like Scott or Cube; then take a punt on a couple of fat bikes or something like that.

Reactions: CaptainCol