Opinions about what would suit my needs greatly appriociated

casper171072

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 29, 2021
So, I'm looking to get an Ebike for my daily commute on the cycle to work scheme my employer has. Ive cycled for a few years now but my asthma, two knee operations and general old age creeping up have got me onto ebikes. I've also had the use of a G-tech Ascent for a short while and powering up the gradients and through the head wind with the eclectics have taken the slog out and put in the pleasure of the commute again!

So I am 48 years, 6'1, 15 stone, cycle 10 miles each way to work with a couple of hills in the middle for good measure and a wind that always seems to be against me! I was wanting a hybrid style and less than 2 grand. The cycle scheme is through Halfords but I am aware the voucher can be transferred to a few other independents etc or I might consider ditching the scheme for the credit card for the right bike.

I know there are polarised opinions on the likes of Halfords but I have a guy there who has worked for them for years and is a massive keen biker himself and he has always been honest with me about the range open to me when I've bought before so I like dealing with him. I have looked at the Carrera Crossfire which I really liked but I know the reliability is a big no for me, and to his credit it is he that has suggested it wouldn't last the course with my use. He did suggest the Carerra Crossfuse which is the Bosch mid mount bike they do. I really like this and I've studied loads of customer reviews on the bike which all come out really good even ones who have had the bike over 12 months of regular riding. My only gripe on this one being that the price has gone from an original £1300 to a now £2000. £2000 is a lot of money for me and whilst I would pay it for the right bike I don't like the idea that its gone up so much for no improvement in spec etc.

So I'm just wondering what other options are out there that I might consider and if there are any particular opinions on the Crossfuse

Thanks in advance

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Your local Halfords is a good option for you as you say the guy is one of their rare gems and you have trust in him, ok as long as he remains there I guess (though if he ever moved on it may not be the same with CS).

Kudos/Raleigh design have this KTM/Bosch model at £1700.
.: Kudos Cycles - e-bikes with style :.

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You have three basic choices. If you can't or don't want to fix the electrical problems when they come some time after buying, you have to buy from either a local dealer or fron an online seller that has a system and proven record for sorting out such problems. That's two choices. The third choice is that if you have a minimal amount of electrical knowledge and some enthusiasm, you can by a typical Chinese hub-motored bike from any online seller. The advantage of these is their robustness, cheapness and low running costs. They are also perfect for your application.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Woosh are a very good choice.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Halfords have a new commuter e-bike - Carrera Impel - coming soon. It differs in that it uses totally different electrics to the potentially problematic Suntour system used on the majority of other Carreras. It's an option given your faith in your local Halfords, but the Woosh is probably the better buy given the Impel is as yet unknown/unproven.

casper171072

Aug 29, 2021
That that new caters looks nice but I have been looking at the woosh bikes and like them to. Certainly value for money looks good I will hopefully speak to them when they are next working. I need somthing that’s going to be reliable and if I can get it under the Halfords cycle to work scheme then that would great

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Looks like it could be using another crappy 3 spd speed controller.
Another non user friendly drive system the Hyena isn't diy user friendly affair, will need dealer software to make any changes. Bluetooth /cloud activation control, a TS system with option of cadence as well.
The Ebiking future with these systems are going to leave any work at the hands of a dealer and not diy.

KISS they aren't and just like the Suntour it will likely be problematic.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I think it a little premature to pre-judge a new e-bike/drive when it isn't even on sale yet.

I think I was the first here on the forum to buy the Greenway Cross City hybrid for £1100 with the then relatively unknown Bafang MaxDrive. Half a dozen other members later took the plunge too. And what a peach that's since proven itself to be.

I also took a punt on the Ebco USR-55 with the unknown (in this country) TranzX M16GT mid-drive against many naysayers here, but that's also (so far) proven to be 100% reliable and amazing value for the paltry £1100 that cost too.

The Impel's Bluetooth app (from reading the blurb) seems to allow some tailoring of the drive, and error reporting (and ride and battery stats etc etc). My guess would be that this whole "connectivity" APP thing will likely aid sales rather than hinder them. With a 2-year electrical warranty most buyers probably won't give two-hoots about the brand name printed on the motor - it may even actually be being made by someone reputable. We just don't know yet. To not fit hydraulic brakes probably isn't good, but otherwise I personally think there's a lot to like for the money.

Time will tell...

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Halfords have a new commuter e-bike - Carrera Impel - coming soon. It differs in that it uses totally different electrics to the potentially problematic Suntour system used on the majority of other Carreras. It's an option given your faith in your local Halfords, but the Woosh is probably the better buy given the Impel is as yet unknown/unproven.

ust like the Carrera bikes with Suntour electrics, it'll be good while it works. Just like all the other bikes with Transx stuff in them, you'll be in the hands of a local dealer to get anything fixed. That's if you have one and didn't buy the bike second hand.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Just like all the other bikes with Transx stuff in them, you'll be in the hands of a local dealer to get anything fixed. That's if you have one and didn't buy the bike second hand.
Yes, I know what you're saying and do agree with you in principle. The Ebco/TranzX bike was new through Halfords and has behaved perfectly from new. It hasn't been too difficult to get my own copy of the CanBus diagnostics software, and I have two good sources for parts - although a time will come when inevitably those spares aren't made anymore and the bike will become scrap. But for little more than a grand new it's minimal risk in my book, and time then to buy a new e-bike anyway.

But yes, if you're not "hands on", buying anything other than mainstream systems is usually taking a (calculated) risk.

casper171072

Aug 29, 2021
just placed an order for a Woosh Camino seemed to a positive thoughts about these so here goes. just got o wait for it now

misterjohn

Sep 12, 2021
Manchester
if you could wait a bit for delivery, I would recommend the Woosh Gran Camino.
https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?gran-camino
Any reason why you are suggesting the Gran Camino as opposed to the Camino?

I am looking to replace my Carrera Crossfuse (which was stolen last week). Like @casper171072, I can’t afford the latest iteration… so I’m lost in a forest of brands I have never heard of….

Following your advice elsewhere on the Forum, I’m looking at Whoosh … and I would appreciate your guidance.

misterjohn

Sep 12, 2021
Manchester
So, I'm looking to get an Ebike for my daily commute on the cycle to work scheme my employer has. Ive cycled for a few years now but my asthma, two knee operations and general old age creeping up have got me onto ebikes. I've also had the use of a G-tech Ascent for a short while and powering up the gradients and through the head wind with the eclectics have taken the slog out and put in the pleasure of the commute again!

So I am 48 years, 6'1, 15 stone, cycle 10 miles each way to work with a couple of hills in the middle for good measure and a wind that always seems to be against me! I was wanting a hybrid style and less than 2 grand. The cycle scheme is through Halfords but I am aware the voucher can be transferred to a few other independents etc or I might consider ditching the scheme for the credit card for the right bike.

I know there are polarised opinions on the likes of Halfords but I have a guy there who has worked for them for years and is a massive keen biker himself and he has always been honest with me about the range open to me when I've bought before so I like dealing with him. I have looked at the Carrera Crossfire which I really liked but I know the reliability is a big no for me, and to his credit it is he that has suggested it wouldn't last the course with my use. He did suggest the Carerra Crossfuse which is the Bosch mid mount bike they do. I really like this and I've studied loads of customer reviews on the bike which all come out really good even ones who have had the bike over 12 months of regular riding. My only gripe on this one being that the price has gone from an original £1300 to a now £2000. £2000 is a lot of money for me and whilst I would pay it for the right bike I don't like the idea that its gone up so much for no improvement in spec etc.

So I'm just wondering what other options are out there that I might consider and if there are any particular opinions on the Crossfuse

Thanks in advance
I had a Carrera Crossfuse (my first and only electric bike) until it was stolen last Monday.

For what it’s worth, I thought it was terrific. Really great. (I appreciate it is a very different bike from the others in the Carrera range…. I have no knowledge of them, except what I read).

I‘m trying to find a replacement for my former Crossfuse…. but finance is the problem!

I bought the Crossfuse before the pandemic…. with a £300 discount and 3-years interest-free no deposit credit; those days are well gone, it seems.

Good luck with your search.

I’m following up the suggestions others are making:

Whoosh - either Camino or Gran Camino.

Kudos (though the idea that they may cease importing rather unsettles me)

I also found this offer:

SERIOUS Sonoran Active 400 (with a similar motor to the Crossfuse)

https://www.bikester.co.uk/serious-sonoran-black-1114046.html#specificationsOn a flash sale.

And Rutland Cycles are giving a generous discount on a Kalkhoff Berleen 5.G Move 2020. (20%+).

If anyone could please offer guidance on these suggestions, I would be grateful. I have no idea who or what Whoosh, Serious, Kalkhoff are. (I have heard of Kudos… and it gets a placing in at least one mainline online review of the ‘best electric bikes for 2021)

The chorus of negative opinions on the rear-hub drives and the tsunami of brands I have never heard of is making me think that if I can now no longer afford one of the respected models of respected mainline brands, I might as well drop the idea of an ebike.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Any reason why you are suggesting the Gran Camino as opposed to the Camino?
The Gran-Camino suits heavier riders because it has a larger motor, wider wheels and tyres. It can also cope with light offroading: front shocks with maxle, rear motor has torque arms and a solid base for mounting the battery.
The Gran-Camino is probably the only sub £2000 e-bike that is properly built to ride on rough terrains.

Front shock with maxle:

Rear motor has discreet torque arms:

Solid base for mounting the battery:

Reactions: misterjohn

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A neat touch that torque arm Tony.

Reactions: Woosh

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
A neat touch that torque arm Tony.
I knew I should have patented it.
Posts #5 & #9. 2014 - seems like yesterday.

Reactions: Woosh