Orbea Gain e road bike

MartinRomford

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 5, 2018
I have ordered a 36v 6.8ah battery to match the existing stored battery. I am awaiting arrival of that and a connector to either plug straight in or a waterproof connector to cut the original charger lead. Will incorporate an inline fuse to limit the voltage surge,if any. As long as both fully charged before using. Another rider has used on, switch on reserve battery and bike powers up. No use of system for 5 mins and it shuts down. Repower reserve battery to wake the system. I am looking at incorporating a voltage meter so that no damage done. It will fit into standard bottle holder. I am an electrician by trade so aware of dangers and damage potential. I will be checking every stage as I go with my testers

MartinRomford

Jun 5, 2018
Cost of battery is 180 gbp. Comes with USB charger. Worse case I have a new battery charger for my phone and lights

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
Cost of battery is 180 gbp. Comes with USB charger. Worse case I have a new battery charger for my phone and lights
That seems much better than the official battery! I think you'll be the test run for a lot of people who own Gains if it works out...

jollyDodger

May 30, 2016
london
tested one last week, up a short 55m primrose hill (london) and it was fine (i’m a middle aged asthmatic). Not as fast as previous bikes i’ve used i.e. e-silence. But not too far off. I’m ordering one based on that and hopefully it will be ok (i live at the top of crystal palace hill, and need it for the daily commute)

BucksCS

May 22, 2019
Chilterns
tested one last week, up a short 55m primrose hill (london) and it was fine (i’m a middle aged asthmatic). Not as fast as previous bikes i’ve used i.e. e-silence. But not too far off. I’m ordering one based on that and hopefully it will be ok (i live at the top of crystal palace hill, and need it for the daily commute)
If you don't mind me asking, which model have you ordered, and why? I'm going through similar process myself re Orbea so would appreciate your thoughts.

jollyDodger

May 30, 2016
london
If you don't mind me asking, which model have you ordered, and why? I'm going through similar process myself re Orbea so would appreciate your thoughts.
the main reason for me getting the obera is that if get it in black, wrap some innertubing round it, it will hide in a rack of other bikes as a non-e bike..(it’s also insured)

I’m getting the basic non-hydraulic dropbar model due to wanting crosstop breaks (i know they are **** but stopped at the lights i can straighten my back)

swapping out the tires for the widest marathon plus’s - fat tires that i can pump up hard for speed or let out air for suspension works better for me than front fork suspension)

mud guards, dynamo lights, abus frame lock with cable + mini d-lock (i.e. you need two sets of tools to nick the bike)

cycle to work scheme...

worried it might get a bit heavy with all the extras..

badlywornroy

Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2018
Richmond North Yorkshire
the main reason for me getting the obera is that if get it in black, wrap some innertubing round it, it will hide in a rack of other bikes as a non-e bike..(it’s also insured)

I’m getting the basic non-hydraulic dropbar model due to wanting crosstop breaks (i know they are **** but stopped at the lights i can straighten my back)

swapping out the tires for the widest marathon plus’s - fat tires that i can pump up hard for speed or let out air for suspension works better for me than front fork suspension)

mud guards, dynamo lights, abus frame lock with cable + mini d-lock (i.e. you need two sets of tools to nick the bike)

cycle to work scheme...

It's heavy without the extras

MartinRomford

Jun 5, 2018
Well done jolly Dodger. They are very good. Update on battery. Waiting for waterproof connectors. Did a test to see could bike be powered whilst being charged. Knew it would but always good to check. Voltage on bike 41.2v . New pack 41 volt. Opened charger and only two wires to connector. No additional wires in lead. Unless anyone has any more information regarding can bus system. Then will wire this week and run series of tests. Will have to use it like a bomber drop tank. Turn on when ready to go. Power will draw from main that is being charged from reserve. Once used then not to reconnect until both fully charged again. So it's a one use per ride item. Great for hill climbs or long range. Been looking at the fazua system . Very easy to bypass speed restriction and reserve battery can be held in bottle holder. Just swap over when first one depleted.

• Informative
Reactions: Nev

BucksCS

May 22, 2019
Chilterns

cycle to work scheme...

Thank you - hope you enjoy it

MartinRomford

Jun 5, 2018
Update, wired battery in parallel. Went for 2 rides.
1st ride both batteries fully charged, 12 miles strong headwind and on full power. Avg for ride 15.3 and had climbing as well. Came back with 88% charge remaining.
2nd ride 30 miles full power and again headwind over 20mph. 60 % battery remaining. 1000ft of climbing as well.
Getting the connectors soldered rather than crimped was fiddly but doable. I am now confident of 100 mile range on mid setting.
No canbus issues, must and i mean MUST be wired in parallel.
Fuse holder with 5a fuse for protection, tried 3a but system uses 10 a max on full power.
Mtb monster website shows reserve battery for 550 at end of june.
My cost 180 in parts and my time to wire.
If someone had a 3d printer then would be perfect.