Orbea Gain vs Cube Agree

bsurf

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 25, 2019
Hi

I'm looking for some advice on which e-roadbike to get. I've currently got a CUBE Cross Hybrid with a Bosch Performance CX motor which is great, but pretty heavy. I'm looking to sell that and get an e-roadbike and like the look of both the Cube and Orbea. They're about the same price, although the Orbea is Carbon at 3.5k but I don't think the CUBE is. They also have different motor systems.

Does anyone have experience of riding either of them - there doesn't appear to be a lot using the CUBE Agree on the Internet? Which motor system is better, i'm conscious neither will be as beefy as the Bosch but any views on which gives better performance/boost? A friend also mentioned Ribble, but not sure about them tbh.

TIA

B

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Ribble use exactly the same motor as the Orbea Gain. I have not ridden the Gain, but did ride the Cube Agree some time ago and was rather disappointed with it. I live in an area with a lot of steep hills and the motor in the Cube was not powerful enough to get me up them for my level of fitness. I wanted to try the Gain but my LBS which sells them would only let me try it out in the flat car park, so I politely told him where to go.

I ended up buying a Cannondale Synapse Neo with a Bosch Active Line plus motor, have now done about 1000 miles on it and am extremely pleased with it. It does not look as sleek as either the Gain or Agree and is also heavier but it has a 500 wh battery, and is excellent on the hills.

Reactions: flanajb

bsurf

Jun 25, 2019
I ended up buying a Cannondale Synapse Neo with a Bosch Active Line plus motor, have now done about 1000 miles on it and am extremely pleased with it. It does not look as sleek as either the Gain or Agree and is also heavier but it has a 500 wh battery, and is excellent on the hills.
Thanks Nev - i've had my Cube Hybrid for about 9 months and done a couple of thousand miles now, and slowly getting fitter- then again spoiled with the Bosch CX.

Anyone else have a view on the either the ebikemotion or evation motors - which for me, like Nev is all about getting me up the hills easier!

Also interested in integration with phone - don't think the Cube does this, but the Orbea has an app to look at motor stats.

and finally, when to buy? Is it likely towards the end of summer there may be discounted stock available? Or is it worth waiting for the 2020 models?

Last edited:

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
bsurf if you do a search on Orbea Gain on this site you should find quite a few threads about it. Several posters have bought the Gain and they all seem very happy with their purchase. I also seem to remember some discussion about the app you mentioned in your last post. If possible try and get a test ride on the type of hills you are likely to want to ride up. You are going to have quite a shock going from a Bosch CX to either the Gain or the Agree.

• Agree
Reactions: Artstu

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
The Orbea Gain I tried was a nice low assist bike, full power climbing power I would say is less than half power (tour mode) on my old Bosch Classic so well below the tour on your CX motor. From what I've read the Evation motor gives similar assist to the Orbea.

• Informative
Reactions: Nev

bsurf

Jun 25, 2019
Thanks both. Will do some more digging and see if I can get a test ride too.

Inveral

Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2019
Thanks both. Will do some more digging and see if I can get a test ride too.
I have a Volt hybrid with a Bosch motor which handles the steepest hills with ease but is very heavy on the long flats. My average ride is 45 miles in a hilly region in Scotland. I bought the Orbea Gain D30 and it manages this with a bit of effort put in on the steeper hills but have only required the top power level on the very steepest sections. The most battery I have used was on a 42 mile ride with 4200ft ascent. There was also a strong headwind for 8 miles of this trip. I was left with 35% battery. the bike handles like a normal slightly heavier road bike and does not need the motor on the flat or small hills. The app works quite well but does use up phone battery.

• Informative
Reactions: Artstu

flanajb

Just Joined
Nov 5, 2019
Ribble use exactly the same motor as the Orbea Gain. I have not ridden the Gain, but did ride the Cube Agree some time ago and was rather disappointed with it. I live in an area with a lot of steep hills and the motor in the Cube was not powerful enough to get me up them for my level of fitness. I wanted to try the Gain but my LBS which sells them would only let me try it out in the flat car park, so I politely told him where to go.

I wish I had done the same and not bought a Boardman with the Fazua Evation motor. The Cannondale pulled like a train up hills, whereas the Fazua doesn't provide anywhere near the same level. I might have a Boardman ADV 8.9E for sale shortly.

Related Articles

Advertisers