Ordering new Kalkhoff AGATTU XXL C8 (2011)?

ZG1

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 19, 2011
Zagreb
www.arts.hr
Dear All,
I'm very fresh on this forum and I will grate full for flowing advice.
I intent to buy:
Kalkhoff AGATTU XXL C8, MODEL 2011 (pedalec / Panasonic Center 250W)
Frame Shape: WAVE
Size: XL (570) mm
Wheel size: 28in
Battery: 18 Ah / 468 wh
Standard price: 2199 €

I was sent an question to Kalkhoff about possibility of certain modification:
"Geometry performance of Aggatu XXL is great, but I need a stronger engine because I live on a very steep hill (3 km).
Daily I'd crossed (job trip) about 8 km in one way, when I return I climbing all the way 3 of them are very step hill. In this case, Agattu with 300w (Panasonic Center) it would be the ideal bike for me.
Pro Connect is too sporty for determining my needs, for me final speed is not important, but power on a hill. (I am 195 cm tall and have 98 kg and 42 years). I believe that isn't your way of remodified of the model which you have in abundance to offer, but deep down I hope that you will be able to make this exception, in that case I'd get the ideal bike for my needs. I must note that the shape of the chainguard like Tasman Tour has (closed one) when be fitted on Agattu sholuld be a bit more stylish solution."

Kalkhoff rejected any modification, but one dealer of Kalkhoff agreed with that and provide offer 2199 € + 1390 € (modification) which is total 3589 €.

My questions is based on your experience and knowledge about pedalec (Panasonic) performance.
Does new Agattu xxl (2011) suits my needs without modifications, ad is it worth it to go for it according price increase, or some other solution you have in view point?

Thanks in front!

Sergej

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I have a 2008 Pro Connect which is fitted with the same 250 Watt motor and 8 speed gear combination as your Aggatu. Hill climbing ability is not an issue and is not compromised to any great extent by the 50 Watt differential between my unit and the 300 Watt motor. Because the motor drives through the gears it has tremendous hill climbing ability. You may go up the hill very slightly faster on a 300 Watt motored bike, but it isn't worth paying over 1000 Euros for.

Last edited:

10mph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 13, 2010
England
How steep is your hill? Can you work out the gradient? Perhaps use contours on a map.

I tested an Agattu C3 on a 12% average gradient hill see http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/7535-hill-test-agattu-c3-2011-model-3-speed.html?highlight=agattu#post94631

The 3 speed obviously does not have as low a gear as your 8 speed model (but it is cheaper). Nevertheless it went up the 12% gradient with some reasonably comfortable effort from me. I would think 3km all at 12% on the C3 bike would probably have been too much sustained effort from me (over 65 years), but with a lower gear it should be comfortable for you.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You would notice very little difference with 50 watts extra, and the standard Agattu is an excellent climber anyway, capable of any road hill steepness. Two of us in this forum have climbed 1 in 3.3 (30%) with one, one Agattu with the 7 speed hub, the other with the NuVinci CVT hub, and the 7 speed rider was 71 years old.

Just switch to high power mode and keep the pedal rotation speed (cadence) below 40 rpm for the steep climb and it will do the job on maximum power.

ZG1

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 19, 2011
Zagreb
www.arts.hr
Thanks for effort!

I'm not an expert with google maps, but I think that I succeed to "catch the hill".
Maybe someone of you are able to read map on following links.

Hill route: Gmaps Pedometer

And total route : Gmaps Pedometer

Hill route is basic topic of this tread.

Again, thanks in front for suggestions!

Regards
Sergej

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Overall that is easy for any e-bike, being only 2%, but there are some short steep sections. The Agattu will cope very easily with this, and much of the uphill you will be in top gear, only changing down and selecting high power mode for the occasional short steeper bits.

10mph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 13, 2010
England
Have you given the right link to the hill route? Both links are identical.

From the elevation profile the average gradient is 2% but the last 2km is a little over 3%.

the elevations looks a bit "lumpy" so there are presumably some short steeper sections.

3% will be no problem at all for you at 20kph+.

I will check at finer scale if you can confirm that the route shown in the links is your hill route

Biged

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2010
Watnall, Nottingham
I have an Agattu C8, new in December, Its diamond frame 57cm Large.
I have yet to find an hill locally that i cannot climb, all have been in fourth gear or above.
I have one in mind as my final trial but am waiting for better weather.
I think you will have no problems with your standard Agattu, even on a long sustained hill, particularly with the new 18ah battery. :)

10mph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 13, 2010
England
That is a bit steeper but still an average of only 3.6% so an easy ride.