Ouch!

Dave

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 7, 2009
Hello all,

I've only had an e-bike for a few months (Wisper 905e) and am loving it!

Unfortunately when I went out this morning I didn't notice how icy it was, or I probably would have taken the bus.

My bike went sideways on the road next to mine which was too icy to even walk on. I hurt my left knee slightly and it was clicking a bit but it seems to be returning to normal now. My main concern was my bike!

I checked everything I could to make sure it was ok before setting off and apart from minor things like a brake lever being misaligned and the chain coming off I couldn't notice anything wrong. I got to work ok as the rest of the roads were fine.

The problem I did notice was that I can only get power when using the twist throttle, it no longer works as you pedal.

As I have limited knowledge of e-bikes, could anyone suggest the most likely thing to have gone wrong?

Thanks everyone!

Dave

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
Sounds like the pedelec sensor has been damaged to me, this is located on the bottom bracket (the bit the pedal cranks go through). could be that it's simply become disconnected from the controler - follow the wires to check, or that the magnetic disc on the pedal spindle is either stuck or too far away from the sensor (should be about 3mm gap, and it should spin freely with the pedals). This is where I'd start anyway.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Sorry for your accident at least your seem to be ok. This time of year we have to be so careful. It was very foggy and cold when I cycled into work this morning.

It sounds like a loose/lost connection somewhere. There are a few Whisper owners here so I am sure they will chip in with some ideas.

Regards

Jerry

Howard

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2008
Hi Dave
I expect the pedelec sensor disc has just been knocked out of position... If you look on the bottom bracket underneath the pedals, you'll see a thin disc, a couple of inches diameter, which has 5 magnets in it spaced around the edge. The pedelec sensor is mounted next to this, and is activated as the disc magnets pass it. A common problem with the setup is that the magnet disc can move, and sometimes get too far away from the sensor. You probably just need to slide the magnet disc back towards the sensor - I think it needs to be a few mm from the sensor, but not sure on the optimum - just slide it closer until it works again!
Cheers,
Howard

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Hi Dave
I expect the pedelec sensor disc has just been knocked out of position... If you look on the bottom bracket underneath the pedals, you'll see a thin disc, a couple of inches diameter, which has 5 magnets in it spaced around the edge. The pedelec sensor is mounted next to this, and is activated as the disc magnets pass it. A common problem with the setup is that the magnet disc can move, and sometimes get too far away from the sensor. You probably just need to slide the magnet disc back towards the sensor - I think it needs to be a few mm from the sensor, but not sure on the optimum - just slide it closer until it works again!
Cheers,
Howard
That sounds the most likely to me, my sensor is very tempramental and the disk has to be very close to work, a chain coming off can easily knock it out of line.

Dave

Sep 7, 2009
Thanks for all your advice everyone.

You are right about being careful this time of year jerrysimon.

I had a quick look for this pedelec sensor and it looked as though it was in the correct place, but I didn't know to look for the magnet disc - I will have a look at this in a bit as it is probably the problem.

Thanks again, I will let you know how I get on.

Dave

Dave

Sep 7, 2009
Yes, everything looks ok - I think the sensor may be slightly too far from the disc. It most likely happened when the chain came off as you say Mussels, when I was putting it back on it was definitely wrapped around that part.

There doesn't seem to be any damage there, so I suspect some adjustment will get it going again.

Thanks again everyone - I hadn't expected such quick and accurate responses.

:)

Bigbee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2008
Hello all,

s I have limited knowledge of e-bikes, could anyone suggest the most likely thing to have gone wrong?

Thanks everyone!

Dave
I have the worse knowledge of ebikes on this site,but to me the thing to go wrong was the lack of traction on the icy surface causing you to go side ways,fall off and hurt your knee

I hope this helps

themutiny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2009
As per others, I reckon it's the magnets (or disc) that needs realignment. On my bike, the positioning is critical. A mm or two either way and it doesn't work. Of course it's also trial and error since the only way to tell is to adjust/ride/repeat until you get some assistance. Also make sure the magnets are clean.

Cheers

Nick