Over Volting a Yose 350w hub....Newby questions.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If the amazon controller came complete with lcd and all the other bits then send the whole lot ack for a refund and buy all again from a same source.
One can still likely buy from amazon using the voucher but just a more suitable kt controller with the 9 pin julet hub connector.

Last edited:

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
I know that most people do have a restricted budget, been there for sure. I feel that in most cases, either kitting out a bike or building a PC a lesson I have learnt over the years is to save up what you *think* will be enough by ball parking products listed , then add 50% more or cheapen the process ie second hand. My first build was £600 including battery and I struggled to get to that amount but ended up needed an extra ton for new bike tyres and innertubes.

leezen

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 24, 2022
Only a quick read but I see no mention of a 1 to 4 cable required for your LCD(green 5 pin), normally extension cable are just that ie to extend the end of either the motor cable or the 1 to 4 cable, you will defo need a 4 to 1 cable, the "1" end goes to the controller and the "4" is needed for the LCD however the throttle and brake sensors are optional albeit fun to have!

Caution not all brake sensor connectors are made the same.
Example of a 1 to 4

Top tip I always purchase a spare in case one fails
Are these cables prone to failing?

leezen

Feb 24, 2022
If the amazon controller came complete with lcd and all the other bits then send the whole lot ack for a refund and buy all again from a same source.
One can still likely buy from amazon using the voucher but just a more suitable kt controller with the 9 pin julet hub connector.

I sent back everything and got my money back which was great. :)

leezen

Feb 24, 2022
I know that most people do have a restricted budget, been there for sure. I feel that in most cases, either kitting out a bike or building a PC a lesson I have learnt over the years is to save up what you *think* will be enough by ball parking products listed , then add 50% more or cheapen the process ie second hand. My first build was £600 including battery and I struggled to get to that amount but ended up needed an extra ton for new bike tyres and innertubes.
Im taking the second hand route for this build its risky but I really have to keep it to a minimum for this one. Its a good learning experience so far and everyone on here has be ridiculously helpful. I really cant thank you guys enough. :)

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
cables prone to failing?
Some do, some last ages, they do have many points of failure, one pin corrodes or a brake senor connector fails, it more of a pain then a biggy, my concern is if one does fail then it renders the system unusable and with the state China is in, although VAT on Chinese products is now a given it can work out a lot cheaper than Ebay UK stock, last time i looked Ebay cable £15.00 Chinese on a slow boat £8.00. I recently got a throttle from China £7.00 same UK stock £20 & tbf it arrived in 2 weeks. EDIT and although not common some "UK" stock actually comes from China due to these supply issues.

Reactions: leezen

leezen

Feb 24, 2022
Some do, some last ages, they do have many points of failure, one pin corrodes or a brake senor connector fails, it more of a pain then a biggy, my concern is if one does fail then it renders the system unusable and with the state China is in, although VAT on Chinese products is now a given it can work out a lot cheaper than Ebay UK stock, last time i looked Ebay cable £15.00 Chinese on a slow boat £8.00. I recently got a throttle from China £7.00 same UK stock £20 & tbf it arrived in 2 weeks. EDIT and although not common some "UK" stock actually comes from China due to these supply issues.
Ah Cheers PC2017 good to know.

Reactions: PC2017

leezen

Feb 24, 2022
G'day guys,

Its been awhile since iv posted here as I have been enjoying my Ebike over the summer I built thanks you to you guys and all your input. So thanks soo much for all the help it made this process soo much easier and I learnt a heap.

So update.

Yep its finished total cost €429

Specs:
  • Yose Power 350w geared hub
  • 20amp KT sine wave controller
  • KT LCD3
  • 48v 11amphr battery
  • KT V12L PAS
  • Kool Stop Supra rear brake pads
  • Schwalbe marathon tyres
  • Liquid filled inner tubes
  • New pedals
  • Twin leg bike stand
  • Trelock RS 400 cafe lock
The bike was free and I had a €100 euro amazon voucher that brought the price down even more but all up without the voucher was €429.

Top speed 45kmph but I never really reach that as Im generally on a long trip when Im riding it so I stick to around 25-30 kmph to keep the range also if I hit a bump at that speed with no suspension (which I almost did) it would be bad time.

The bike, motor, controller, throttle, battery, cafe lock and tyres are all secondhand.

One thing I have done a bit different is I used velcro zipties so if I have a flat by the road I can tie the motor cable or any other wires back up without them getting snagged on something on the way home because I didnt bring zip ties with me.

Here are some pics of the rig I took this arvo.

Lettuce know whatya think and thanks again for all the comments. :)

Attachments

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Reactions: leezen