Oxygen e-bike is the best bike on GBP 1,500.00 range?

londonbrl

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 11, 2019
Hi all,

Live in London and quite tired of the stressful tube routine every day, so very interesting in purchasing an e-bike.

My commute will be not more than 7km each way on a mainly flat road, the only issue I will face are buses and withe vans on rush hour.

After some research I am incline in go for the Oxygen SCross CB e-bike, however they don't seem as reliable as other contenders like Cube Acid Hybrid 500 and Raleigh Motus.

Is Oxygen still the best bike in the GB 1,500.00 price range considering I could still purchase the thumb throttle or even derestrict it?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
There haven't been many reliability issues with Oxygen bikes, though all bikes will eventually have issues if you don't maintain them.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
After some research I am incline in go for the Oxygen SCross CB e-bike, however they don't seem as reliable as other contenders like Cube Acid Hybrid 500 and Raleigh Motus.
I would say that the main reason why bikes like the Cube Acid are reliable because they don't have exposed electrical components like a throttle or a pedal sensor.
Water is the main enemy of the electrics. A smaller risk is cable snagging.
For example, the magnet disc on Chinese bikes like the Oxygen, part of the pedal sensor, is mounted to the axle of the bottom bracket this exposed not only to a lot of surface water, but also to chippings and branches on the ground.
Also, Bosch electrical connectors are better designed and none of them is exposed.
Companies like Oxygen and mine don't have a huge control on the components, we have to use standard parts designed first to be easily swapped out, not to last forever.
We can take measures to reduce the risk like running cables internally as much as possible but that can't protect components like the LCD, remote buttons, thumb throttle, brake levers etc.

• Informative
Reactions: gray198

DBye

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2016
Dont go for the CB, go for the MTB version of the S-Cross with the hydraulic brakes. I regretted it.
Or check out the NCM MOSCOW PLUS. The 48v system is well worth it.

londonbrl

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 11, 2019
Dont go for the CB, go for the MTB version of the S-Cross with the hydraulic brakes. I regretted it.
Or check out the NCM MOSCOW PLUS. The 48v system is well worth it.
Are you suggesting this purely based on the brakes or anything else? Overall do you recommend this bike?

DBye

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2016
Tough questions! Overall I recommend the Oxygen S-Cross MTB over the S-Cross CB. The MTB comes generally with a better spec (hydraulic brakes, better fork, greater range on rear cassette), but iirc smaller wheels (26" cf 700c), no mudguards or pannier rack. It would be difficult/expensive to try to upgrade the CB to hydraulic brakes later (I was estimated a couple of hundred pounds by Oxygen). As you're ride is mostly flat you should be happy with the S-Cross.

But the Moscow is cheaper for a similar spec to the S-Cross MTB and with a larger battery (17AHr to 10 or 13 AHr). That makes it difficult for me to recommend the S-Cross MTB.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
what is the best commuter bike for £1500?
I would suggest the Woosh Camino at £1,049 with 15AH battery (£1,099 with 17AH) but it still on its way at the moment. Arrival is next month.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?camino

Reactions: Gaz and EddiePJ

DBye

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2016
@Woosh -That's a good looking bike and a nice spec. Can I ask about the rack? The Moscow has eyelets in the seat stays for a rack similar to your Camino. I've been trying to find a rack like that to buy. Is there a name for that style? Do you have any you'd be willing to sell?! (dimensions suiting of course!)

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
@Woosh -That's a good looking bike and a nice spec. Can I ask about the rack? The Moscow has eyelets in the seat stays for a rack similar to your Camino. I've been trying to find a rack like that to buy. Is there a name for that style? Do you have any you'd be willing to sell?! (dimensions suiting of course!)
I will have some spare racks in the autumn when the new Karoo arrives. Both Camino and Karoo have the same seatstay rack.

Reactions: DBye

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
there is a downside to the Moscow bike. Oxygen is a well-established brand. they will help you wherever you got their bike from, and by all counts, their customer service is extremely good.

I know the guy that makes the Moscow bikes. On his previous bikes and kits, he specifically designed them with different connectors to standard, so that if you needed a new controller, throttle or LCD, you could only get it from him, even though they were standard catalogue parts. He has some sort of operation in the UK if I've been told correctly, but I have no idea about the sort of support they give. It might be worth checking that if you're not the sort of guy that likes to rip wires out and solder new connectors.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
what is the best commuter bike for £1500?
I would suggest the Woosh Camino at £1,049 with 15AH battery (£1,099 with 17AH) but it still on its way at the moment. Arrival is next month.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?camino
Looks good Woosh, pack another 17ah battery in the rack bag and that would make a great pan Europe tourer.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Looks good Woosh, pack another 17ah battery in the rack bag and that would make a great pan Europe tourer.
You can have both, downtube and a rack battery. King Meter make an adapter for twin batteries.
It's called a double power converter:

it switches in the battery with the higher voltage.

Last edited:
Reactions: egroover

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Hi all,

Live in London and quite tired of the stressful tube routine every day, so very interesting in purchasing an e-bike.

My commute will be not more than 7km each way on a mainly flat road, the only issue I will face are buses and withe vans on rush hour.

Is Oxygen still the best bike in the GB 1,500.00 price range considering I could still purchase the thumb throttle or even derestrict it?
Support is key to a successful ebike experience. Take look at local shops to see what they stock and take some test rides on bikes you like the look of.
There are many stockists in London.
In the city centre shops tend to stock only very expensive bikes to maximise return on rent.
But further out you may well find a stockist for Oxygen.
I believe The Electric Bicycle Company in North London have them to try and other brands at the same price point.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Hydraulic disc brakes can be had for a lot cheaper then £200.

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hydraulic disc brakes can had for a lot cheaper then £200.
I'm guessing that was for ones with switches and the right connectors for them. Don't forget that dealers still have to consider compliance with EN15194 in case of liability, but you're right, I would have fitted ones without switches for about £40 without bothering the dealer. At the very least, you can still have a compliant bike that stops well by just changing the front brake to an unswitched hydraulic one, since it's the front brake that does most of the stopping. That still leaves a switch on the rear brake to cut the motor when you apply the brakes.

• Agree
Reactions: gray198 and Nealh

DBye

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2016
@Nealh & @vfr400 you're both right about about the cheaper hydraulic brakes. I wanted to upgrade the rear due to this design flaw:

I'll have to get out and do some more miles on the Moscow, thennI can give a fair comparison on durability.

Leon Cycles look like they have a shop in Wigan (not much use to the OP, but useful to just mention).

Reactions: gray198

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
I was eyeing up those Moscow bikes myself in particular the Plus model but it seems there're no longer available.
I know the frames are made in China so maybe they've called a halt on that design.
All I could find online was the silver model, there's popular for you.

Eagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2012
londonbrl,

This almost new Oxygen ST (currently with no bid at £850) has the 13 ah battery and cable disc brakes:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electric-bike-Oxygen-S-Cross-ST/233288261597?hash=item3651105fdd:g:9OsAAOSw01pdLJa~

Spend up to £200 on converting to hydraulic discs and you are still quids in compared to £1399 for a new ST:

http://severnvalleyelectricbikes.co.uk/oxygen-bikes-s-cross-st-step-through/

Alternatively, try this Woosh Rio with hydraulic brakes:

Last edited: