Oxygen S-Cross Derestriction

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
To answer the recent spate of enquiries on this matter. Through my contacts at Oxygen, I have the following info:
They have changed the harness and the display to eliminate the throttle and prevent derestriction.

That means that to fit a throttle and/or derestrict, the easiest solution would be to replace the controller and LCD, which would require a bit of wiring. It's a bit fiddly to thread the wires though the frame, but it can be done using a gear cable or something similar as a leader.

I haven't tried the latest derivative of the control system, so I can't say whether you'll miss much if you change it. The old system with three power levels and 6 speed levels on the PAS was a bit fiddly to use compared with a KT controller.

Hovlev2

Pedelecer
Jul 24, 2020
To answer the recent spate of enquiries on this matter. Through my contacts at Oxygen, I have the following info:
They have changed the harness and the display to eliminate the throttle and prevent derestriction.

That means that to fit a throttle and/or derestrict, the easiest solution would be to replace the controller and LCD, which would require a bit of wiring. It's a bit fiddly to thread the wires though the frame, but it can be done using a gear cable or something similar as a leader.

I haven't tried the latest derivative of the control system, so I can't say whether you'll miss much if you change it. The old system with three power levels and 6 speed levels on the PAS was a bit fiddly to use compared with a KT controller.
I've now taken delivery of the bike, and yes, it has a smaller LCD display, and there are no spare connectors anywhere to connect up a throttle. Do you know if it's fairly easy to access the controller, in the event I do swap it, and if I do, would you recommend any particular controller and LCD? Thanks for your help! Mick

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I've now taken delivery of the bike, and yes, it has a smaller LCD display, and there are no spare connectors anywhere to connect up a throttle. Do you know if it's fairly easy to access the controller, in the event I do swap it, and if I do, would you recommend any particular controller and LCD? Thanks for your help! Mick
Take off the plate at the top of the battery receiver. You should be able to see the controller in the frame there.

Gliggsy

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
Got mine yesterday as well, overall generally impressed with the bike but have to say I do miss the throttle as I have on my old powacycle salisbury, it made for easier start offs on hills especially if you didn't anticipate having to stop and find yourself in too high a gear, I'm going to live with it as is, my ethos is if it's not broken etc!... Glyn

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Got mine yesterday as well, overall generally impressed with the bike but have to say I do miss the throttle as I have on my old powacycle salisbury, it made for easier start offs on hills especially if you didn't anticipate having to stop and find yourself in too high a gear, I'm going to live with it as is, my ethos is if it's not broken etc!... Glyn
Enjoy. It may have a walk mode that could help with hill starts??? Might not, or might be too awkward to access, but worth a try.

Gliggsy

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
Trouble is, upon releasing walk assist I'm pretty sure it turns assist level back to zero but will have a look tomorrow

Hovlev2

Pedelecer
Jul 24, 2020
I got mine yesterday too, so haven't actually ridden it yet, by the time it put it together, and charged the battery I couldn't be arsed. I'll see how it goes, and I might look at changing the controller and LCD display at some time, but will have to get advice from here as to what are the best ones to go for.

Hovlev2

Pedelecer
Jul 24, 2020

Attachments

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Last edited:

Hovlev2

Pedelecer
Jul 24, 2020

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Thanks again! I'll measure it up, and go for it I reckon!
It's probably better to get one from Elifebike or Topbikekit, where you can get w PAS, throttle and motor extension cable to go with it to save butchering all your Oxygen stuff.

Hovlev2

Pedelecer
Jul 24, 2020
It's probably better to get one from Elifebike or Topbikekit, where you can get w PAS, throttle and motor extension cable to go with it to save butchering all your Oxygen stuff.
Thanks, I'll look at their site.

Hovlev2

Pedelecer
Jul 24, 2020
Is it worth voiding your warranty over?

The bikes aren't designed to sustain derestriction speeds, I've seen a lot of problems coming from it.
I'm actually more interested in putting a throttle on it, although the ability to go a tad faster on occasion would be handy, but not a deal breaker

Kris1432

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 3, 2020
I'm actually more interested in putting a throttle on it, although the ability to go a tad faster on occasion would be handy, but not a deal breaker
Fair enough. You can always buy their old throttle and controller on their website but it might not be the most cost effective method.

Hovlev2

Pedelecer
Jul 24, 2020
They've changed the LCD display as well, and I have to say, I prefer the look of the old one!