Panasonic Battery Charger

WALKERMAN

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2008
I have had an intermittent problem from the start with the battery charger I got with my ProConnect two and a half years ago.

When I took the battery off the bike and put it on the charger sometimes it wouldn't start.

At first I replaced the fuse in the plug. It worked, but then a few days later it wouldn't. I then found if I just opened the plug and then closed it up again it would work.

I have followed this procedure all this time whenever the problem recurred. I must have opened and closed the plug a hundred times.

Recently the charger didn't start again but I had to leave the battery on the charger until I returned. When I got back I switched the charger on without opening the plug and it worked.

When it happened again I just left the battery sitting on the charger for ten minutes then switched it on and it worked.

It has continued to work in this way since.

Can anyone explain why it does this?

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I have had an intermittent problem from the start with the battery charger I got with my ProConnect two and a half years ago.

When I took the battery off the bike and put it on the charger sometimes it wouldn't start.

At first I replaced the fuse in the plug. It worked, but then a few days later it wouldn't. I then found if I just opened the plug and then closed it up again it would work.

I have followed this procedure all this time whenever the problem recurred. I must have opened and closed the plug a hundred times.

Can anyone explain why it does this?
I have had this exact same problem. I have two chargers now, one works perfectly well and never fails, the other is exactly as you describe.

On the hit and miss charger, I have tried fitting a new plug, cutting the plug off and re-making the ends of the leads, but it always behaves in this way.

I find that opening and closing the plug works, or if you don't have a screwdriver handy, try screaming and shouting obscenities at it. This sometimes works as well.

I can offer no explanation as to why the charger behaves like this.

aseb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2009
Dry joint? Switching on may warm things up enough to make the connection.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
With the earlier Panasonic unit used on the Giant Lafree with an NiMh battery, the Panasonic charger gave problems of a similar nature and in the end was withdrawn and temporarily replaced with one from METCO of Taiwan whcih was flawless.

Panasonic then resumed the supply with an updated charger, but that again started to give similar problems in a few cases. It almost seems as if a design idiosyncrasy is present in their e-bike charger designs.

If under warranty it's obviously worth returning any faulty one, if only to trigger some action on the problem back up the line.