Panasonic codes

jac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2007
Hi my flyer bike has just stopped working last week when I press electric power button on,the two sets of three lights just flash on for a second and then of does this indicate a certain problem. I know battery is fine as have tried it on my friends kalkhof.

Jim

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No, that flashing initially is the electronic self test function Jim, the flashing stopping indicating self test complete and the bike ready for action.

The not working is due to a separate fault which could be a variety of things such as a connection fault, motor failure or component failure that's not within the self test scope. Is it under two years old and within warranty?

jac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2007
Yes bike is still under warranty it's just I have to send bike to Germany which is a pain

Jim

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Ah, that is a pity Jim, but since repair is mainly by replacing the unit and the last know cost of one was €500 plus labour, a warranty claim is essential to avoid that expense.

Failures on these new type units are extremely rare so you've been very unlucky.

It's worth checking the connectors under the cowling by unplugging and replugging, and also the security of the connections under the battery platform before taking any steps to send it back.

Also, check for burn lines on the bike's battery connector blades, you can see photos and details of that on my website via this link.

Last edited:

jac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2007
I will get bike checked out by local shop before I send it back. I know am just very unlucky with panasonic system as most people have no problem with them

Jim

C

Cyclezee

Ah, that is a pity Jim, but since repair is mainly by replacing the unit and the last know cost of one was €500 plus labour, a warranty claim is essential to avoid that expense.

Failures on these new type units are extremely rare so you've been very unlucky.

It's worth checking the connectors under the cowling by unplugging and replugging, and also the security of the connections under the battery platform before taking any steps to send it back.

Also, check for burn lines on the bike's battery connector blades, you can see photos and details of that on my website via this link.
Just an update on the cost of a replacement Panasonic motor, I was quoted £500 by 50cycles a few months back. Hopefully the problem is as Tony suggests, the battery connector blades which can and do get badly pitted over time and are relatively easy and cheap to replace.

Regards,

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Adobe have been rubbish at opening Oly RAW Files for some reason.

I keep the battery from bouncing around as shown in the pic which seems to prevent the problem. It's not pretty but my bike is 2 years old and shows no pitting at all.

The velcro straps are from B&Q.

from arising.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I keep the battery from bouncing around as shown in the pic which seems to prevent the problem. It's not pretty but my bike is 2 years old and shows no pitting at all.

The velcro straps are from B&Q.

from arising.
That is exactly what I do, in fact I might have got the idea from you if you have posted this tip before. The battery securing mechanism is a bit of a weak point. Not very solid and could do with a re-think by the Kalkhoff design team.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
JamesC's solution of adjusting the lock up against it's stop and lining the well with layers of old inner tube rubber seems to work well though.

The earlier Panasonic unit with the NiMh battery also sometimes suffered contact blade burn lines, but strangely it never suffered the loss of contact the later one is sometimes prone to.

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
That is exactly what I do, in fact I might have got the idea from you if you have posted this tip before. The battery securing mechanism is a bit of a weak point. Not very solid and could do with a re-think by the Kalkhoff design team.
Yes, I did post it before. I thoroughly agree about the redesign. Maybe some sort of cam like they use on tripod legs.

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
I just removed the locking cover and tightened up the whole locking bracket to the frame.It doesnt jump/rattle at all now.

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
I just removed the locking cover and tightened up the whole locking bracket to the frame.It doesnt jump/rattle at all now.
Definitely worth checking the locking bracket first. both my 18ah battery and original battery have been totally secure without any additional strapping, even on some very rough tracks.

100 posts......Senior Member at last :D