Panasonic hub slipping

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
It's wet and raining and I've got no work to do today... Time for some DIY!!

I finally got fed up with the way the hub on my Agattu keeps on slipping time and again. The general advice is to do the nuts up white-knuckle tight and I always do, but sooner or later, it always seems to slip and I end up limping home with the tyre rubbing against the mudguard.

I finally got fed up with the situation and thought I'd do something to rectify the situation. I'd seen a part similar to this mentioned on the forums before, so I thought I'd have a poke around the shed and see what I could come up with.

An old PC power supply donated some metal...

I sawed the head off a bolt and welded it to a bit of steel, then drilled a big hole for the axle to go through and elongated it with my dremmel. After I got it to fit over the axle OK, I chopped off the extra bit at the end.

Next I made a little clip/bracket thing to go over the frame. This was nothing fancy.. it was just cut with the dremmel and then hit with a hammer

Finally, I bent the clip in the middle by squeezing the ends with a pair of pliers...

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
Here's the finished item before it's fitted on the bike...

And here it is fitted in it's final location. The washer sits on top of the serrated torque washer which will still get to dig into the frame as normal. The wheel nut then clamps down on top of the whole lot.

If that doesn't stop the thing from slipping forward then nothing will. I probably wasted about 2 hours making this, but at least it didn't cost anything :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Nice job Fecn. They can be bought of course, but possibly not in a thick enough profile for the hefty Kalkhoff rear frame section, and there's nothing like the satisfaction of a self produced solution.

Strange how the odd bike suffers this problem. A few of the Giant Lafree bikes also suffered this way, but that was mainly due to the frame material sometimes being too soft and thin. That couldn't be said of the Agattu frame.

JamesC

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2007
Peterborough, UK
Very neat solution.

I notice that the Kalkhoff Sahel uses the Shimano 8 speed Alfine hub, but they have added a chain tensioner at the rear wheel.

I wonder if this means that the new frame has vertical dropouts rather than using horizontal dropouts to allow chain tension adjustment.

James

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
Here's a close up of how things are arranged back there on the Sahel Pro Disc. Trying to get as much of this hi-res material (that's still about 50% size) for all the 2010 bikes in coming weeks. Those mudguards look neat and a new stand too, which I think may be adjustable.

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
It looks like the Sahel Pro has been improved in all the right areas. Gears, Dropouts, Tensioner, Mudguards, Brakes .... I was planning on keeping my Agattu forever, but I don't know anymore.

JamesC

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2007
Peterborough, UK
It looks like the Sahel Pro has been improved in all the right areas. Gears, Dropouts, Tensioner, Mudguards, Brakes .... I was planning on keeping my Agattu forever, but I don't know anymore.
The Sahel does look as though it contains several improvements, but I wonder about the performance with 26" wheels compared with 28" on all the previous Kalkhoffs.

Possibly the speed is maintained by encouraging higher cadences or the Panasonic chainwheel is not the standard 41T.

I would think that 26" brings in more possibilities for off road enhancements.

James

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I wonder about the performance with 26" wheels compared with 28" on all the previous Kalkhoffs.

or the Panasonic chainwheel is not the standard 41T.
Probably unlikely since the 37 tooth on the older unit was never changed for any unit version, standard,
high speed S and the custom version for Renault.

JamesC

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2007
Peterborough, UK
Probably unlikely since the 37 tooth on the older unit was never changed for any unit version, standard,
high speed S and the custom version for Renault.
Would a 12 tooth motor sprocket do the trick ?

It would make the bike more appealing to those who like to cycle at higher cadences.

James

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Would a 12 tooth motor sprocket do the trick ?

It would make the bike more appealing to those who like to cycle at higher cadences.

James
It would do, but I'm only aware of three available sprocket sizes for the new unit, 8, 9 and 11 tooth, though there could be others in Japan.

Dynamic Position

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2009
Very inventive Fecn. Hopefully it will work. Just out of curiosity did you try replacing the serrated washers prior to this? I have found that some serrated washers once having been heavily torqued are not so effective subsequently.

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
Just out of curiosity did you try replacing the serrated washers prior to this? I have found that some serrated washers once having been heavily torqued are not so effective subsequently.
No - I didn't try replacing the washers, though I did try cleaning up the serrations with a wire brush (with no obvious success). I didn't have any suitable replacements and as I'm skint until payday, didn't want to spend money online ordering anything.