Panasonic System Noise

davidw

Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2008
High in the Northern Pennines
The panasonic system on my gazelle has started making a knocking noise - of a gentle rather than a harsh sound. It is not all the time and I have not been able to spot any consistent reason for when it does happen. The only consistency is that it always happens on the downward thrust of my left pedal.
Sometimes it is one soft knock more usually it is a double 'kerklunk' sound.
Any ideas anyone?

stokepa31_mk2

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 7, 2008
The panasonic system on my gazelle has started making a knocking noise - of a gentle rather than a harsh sound. It is not all the time and I have not been able to spot any consistent reason for when it does happen. The only consistency is that it always happens on the downward thrust of my left pedal.
Sometimes it is one soft knock more usually it is a double 'kerklunk' sound.
Any ideas anyone?
Have you checked that the chain tensioner is moving freely. this can often cause noise.

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
Also, do just check by hand that your pedals are tightly in place and moving freely.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Also the cranks can loosen on the pedal shaft. That's not always easy to detect by hand, but if you suspect that, either you can check the tightness with a thinwall socket or a dealer can do it quickly for you.

See the top two photos on this link from my website, but don't bother with the instructions, just check the nut tightness.

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
Also the cranks can loosen on the pedal shaft. That's not always easy to detect by hand, but if you suspect that, either you can check the tightness with a thinwall socket or a dealer can do it quickly for you.

See the top two photos on this link from my website, but don't bother with the instructions, just check the nut tightness.
Hi Flecc,

As always you put it much better than me as that is what I was trying to say. Does looseness not always translate into hand detectable lateral movement on the pedal? I guess not and appreciate learning something new.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Not always Django. I had a slightly loose left crank on my lafree which fooled me that a pedal bearing was failing since I couldn't budge the crank by hand. I swapped the pedals for a pair I had and still found the noise and slight jerk in place. :eek:

Then I got it right and slammed the crank nut really tight!