Panniers for grocery shopping.

robchoc

Just Joined
Jul 12, 2020
The waiting for my e-bike is killing me, been 1 week so far and not heard anything from the company yet.

So I'm shopping around for all the accessories, so I have everything ready when I eventually do get my e-bike.

I'm looking to get a couple of panniers that would be ideal to do my grocery shopping with. My e-bike is the Cube touring hybrid pro if that makes any difference.

If you have any experience with grocery shopping would love to hear how you got on (do you take the panniers into the shop with you, do you use two, as I can imagine it being fun and games trying to carry two panniers and shopping at the same time) and what panniers did you purchase.

Thanks in advance.

ttxela

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2017
Cambridgeshire
The waiting for my e-bike is killing me, been 1 week so far and not heard anything from the company yet.

So I'm shopping around for all the accessories, so I have everything ready when I eventually do get my e-bike.

I'm looking to get a couple of panniers that would be ideal to do my grocery shopping with. My e-bike is the Cube touring hybrid pro if that makes any difference.

If you have any experience with grocery shopping would love to hear how you got on (do you take the panniers into the shop with you, do you use two, as I can imagine it being fun and games trying to carry two panniers and shopping at the same time) and what panniers did you purchase.

Thanks in advance.
I use pretty ordinary panniers which are permanently fixed to the bike with cable ties. They are just the right size for slipping a shopping bag inside so I shop in the normal way and pack the shopping into the bags at the checkout then slip the bags into the panniers.

Obviously a thief could easily cut the cable ties to nick the panniers if that's a concern.

ChuckingFeet

Pedelecer
Dec 3, 2019
Derby
Personally, i use a pair of Basil panniers, relatively cheap and cheerful, got mine from Cycle Republic for about £30 . No nasty cheap zips , use strong plastic clips , and while not totally watertight, I use a couple of camping drysacks for stuff I need to stay dry . They will swallow a full carrier bag each with a little juggling, and that's plenty for me . A rack bag can be used with them, so that would take another carrier bag .

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
Just ordered online the now 2 Ortileib panniers on sale in a store in UK

so look forward to them as said to be all weather tough and last a long life

of wear and tear ..paid just under £80 inc postage for 2 panniers which are on offer
and each bag holds 20 L each .

Reactions: jimriley

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
Personally, i use a pair of Basil panniers, relatively cheap and cheerful, got mine from Cycle Republic for about £30 . No nasty cheap zips , use strong plastic clips , and while not totally watertight, I use a couple of camping drysacks for stuff I need to stay dry . They will swallow a full carrier bag each with a little juggling, and that's plenty for me . A rack bag can be used with them, so that would take another carrier bag .
Your pannier for shopping shall be good for that , one I sent is for odd days fishing trips.

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
I need lots of room so I tend to go for cheap and biggish . I've used Raleigh , well reviewed but I didn't like and sold off (they went annoyingly floppy and shapeless when not full ). Lidl ones were really cheap for a pair with a simple clip but obviously wouldnt last forever. Currently using cheapish ones from Wikinsons -
but what I don't like with most is the inverted U shaped ones with three pockets have a central handle but it feels really awkward to carry that way eg when taking off and going to the supermarket (I keep other stuff in them so take it with me so it doesn't get nicked) . Would much prefer a shoulder strap to carry about - but haven't seen any (or I suspect they are smaller and more expensive)

ChuckingFeet

Pedelecer
Dec 3, 2019
Derby
Given Ortiliebs reputation, I'm sure you will be well pleased with them , mine are far from perfect but pretty adequate, they basically live on the bike for commuting/shopping , but I have no special requirements of them .To reply to the OPs question, I leave the panniers on the bike when shopping, just drop the bags into them, not yet had any hassle , but wouldn't leave any expensive item in them .

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I use a couple of £20 QR Bike Smart panniers I got from Planetx about 3 years ago, still going strong and surprised how much weight and shopping they hold.
For extra lugging I have a flat bed carry freedom to which I have a large ABS box I can strap to the base, other wise the CF flat bed is perfect for my beekeeping locally.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Most of our bike panniers are floppy and can crush soft grocery items, especially on poor roads. The Dutch who have always been utility cyclists know far more about this than any other nation so make sensible, practical pannier bags. I bought mine ages ago from one of the Dutch shops trading here which I use on any size of bike. They also afford a handy large platform for bulky items on top:

Reactions: Scorpio and PP100

ChuckingFeet

Pedelecer
Dec 3, 2019
Derby
Have much admired your step-ladder trailer before , but was thinking more side car style with the supermarket trolley , bad camber would be interesting ...

• :D
Reactions: flecc

Poolepete

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2018
Poole
I recently bought a set of Halfords Advanced panniers and I have been really pleased with them, thus far. They are quick release and I take them into the shop with me. Even more useful if you use a scan and go, as you can load them during the shop to judge how much capacity you have left. As a rule of thumb, reckon on the capacity of a "bag for life".

It is amazing how much you can squeeze into your panniers, and with an ebike you don't care too much about weight. I have carried 16 pints of milk on one side, a load of shopping in the other and you barely notice it.

Back to the Halfords Panniers, they come with a shoulder strap, have a long warranty, fully waterproof and really easy to click on and off (no mucking about with straps etc). I think they are great value at £48 for the pair.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I'don't bother with panniers and I do all my shopping on my bike.I started using panniers 10 years ago until I found this superior solution. For the last 6 years, I've been using a shoulder bag, like a sports bag, which is much more convenient. You empty your basket/trolley straight into the bag and you're ready to go. No need for carrier bags or complicated transfer procedures. When you get home, you jump off your bike and straight to the kitchen to unload directly into the cupboards.

It looks like it'll hamper you when pedalling, but it doesn't. It's good up to about three miles. After that, it can become uncomfortable if you have say 15kg or more, when the strap starts to dig your shoulder a bit.

Something like this. The trick is to get one the right size. Too big, it gets in the way. Too small, you can't get all your shopping in. Start with one big enough to cope with an overlaoded basket.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018

Thanks in advance.
I always have two panniers on my bike fitted permanently, and I have a trailer for really big shops.
The trailer I bought when my previous dog was diagnosed with a benign form of cancer in the front paws, so that I could take her swimming with me, to reduce the distances she would need to run....
But I use it very seldom. But its there, and what I would gain by selling it, is outweighed by what I can carry when I "will!"
I love being able to go shopping and still leave the car at home!
Andy

Darren Hayward

Pedelecer
Mar 25, 2015
I used panniers and a top bag for years but found they were floppy when empty and softer food could get squashed. When I wanted to go on longer rides the panniers were an annoyance. I considered removable ones but they were asking to get stolen. I now use a trailer (with a Cube Hybrid touring pro too) with a large plastic box. Put the box in the shopping trolley, pack it when paying and just lift it in and out of the trailer.
I did have to find a different route to the shops and a different parking space but that was all sorted by trial and error in a few trips.

Darren

Reactions: flecc and Andy-Mat

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
I have a rack mounted battery on a strong frame, cheap panniers + plastic crate bolted on top. Ideal for shopping and can even carry a full size inflatable paddle board :cool:
02266565-8712-4A2F-8B47-FAB78A516015.jpeg