Panniers for grocery shopping.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
He's cheating, pushing not riding. (almost as bad as having a motor)
What amuses me is that as well as the thousands of plastic bottles on the back, he's added a few more in his front basket!

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
What ever panniers you settle on (Ortleib are classics but expensive and somewhat desirable to those who take things that are not theirs), go for those with attaching hooks that latch onto the pannier rack top rail and have a firm tongue that slides behind one of the rack members (as typically seen with the Rixen and Kaul fixings). If you go for non-latching hooks and a bottom hook on an elastic, your panniers will definitely fall off when you go over a road bump.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Thread resurrection time.
I have been looking for larger panniers for my shopping and was intrigued by one George Henrys last mention of the roll top 20l/25l ortliebs, after doing some homework I tried a couple of ebay bids on good used pairs except the bidding for them gets silly and one can buy brand new ones for not much more.
The QL2.1 qr is a good reason to buy them along with the bottom adjustable clip fixing.

Whilst investigating new ones, I came across some china knockoffs going by the name of Rhinowalk fully water proof with a very similar type QL 2.1 QR and bottom clip.
Not only that but like the ortliebs they have the role down top and buckle system and a shoulder strap. Without the role down on a dry day (just like today), one can get a huge 25 - 27ltrs of shopping in each one.
So I bit the bullet and bought a new pair in fetching Black on ebay from a UK seller, they were cheaper then buying the same item from AliExpress. I paid £71 for a pair.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I needed to to go shopping today for cat food, so I made use of 15% discount at Sainsburys to stock up and to get cheap cat litter.
The panniers compared to my previous ones are cavernous and being tall means when full and attached to my rack, the pannier top sits above my rear carrier by some 10 - 15cm depending on how much of the top I roll down & this in turn leaves a nice space on the flat deck to lay bulkier items without them falling off the sides.
they now give me more load options on top of also using my trailer as well.

Pannier size for any one interested probably fairs well to the ortliebs.
depth is an even 15cm, height unrolled is 59cm or 50cm for rainy days. Width at the bottom is 26cm and tapers up to 32cm at the top

Reactions: guerney

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
I needed to to go shopping today for cat food, so I made use of 15% discount at Sainsburys to stock up and to get cheap cat litter.
The panniers compared to my previous ones are cavernous and being tall means when full and attached to my rack, the pannier top sits above my rear carrier by some 10 - 15cm depending on how much of the top I roll down & this in turn leaves a nice space on the flat deck to lay bulkier items without them falling off the sides.
they now give me more load options on top of also using my trailer as well.

Pannier size for any one interested probably fairs well to the ortliebs.
depth is an even 15cm, height unrolled is 59cm or 50cm for rainy days. Width at the bottom is 26cm and tapers up to 32cm at the top
There are also wire loop anti thefts attachments that fit the ortlieb panniers, they would stop a quick theft but easily defeated with tools. I'm happy with the ortliebs after buying other types that failed.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Using wire loops defeats the object for me as I want them removable and theft part won't occur for me , for grocery shopping I don't use plastic bags any more. These panniers like the ortlieb have the quick release handle to pull up an simply detach the panniers, also they have shoulder strap which is attached for shopping so I simply pack my food in to them as I go along. At sainsbury's one can use the smart shop scanning, at lidl I simply decant the items to scan and reload.
Even with full panniers it is a synch to simply hook them back on the bike.

I bought these because of the silly prices of auction ones on ebay, I could have bought new ortliebs but these are very much identical knock off china ones at a much cheaper price.
I will see how they go and report back on real world usage and quality.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Lockable wire meshes? I suppose it depends on how valuable one's valuables or bags are

A sensitive alarm may improve security, if correctly installed.
regards
Andy

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
cheap cat litter.
The cat knows and resents you for your cheapness ;)

I've got mine zip tied to the rack. they arent coming off unless you fiddle about at the hard the get to back of them with cutters.(single pannier non drive side and a rack pack. Im more about shopping 3 times per week rather than getting a huge amount done in the one go. It's not a chore going shopping and as i prefer fresh food, its less wastage.
At the checkout its just a simple matter of wheeling out the bought goods, loaded back into the trolley and I load up the panniers from that.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
My panniers were Dutch, having removable stiffening inserts to keep their shape and avoid crushing soft groceries:

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
I use Altura Dryline panniers, they have survived all year use and numerous washes in the washing machine (delicate wash, no spin and drip dried on a clothes horse in the bath).
I have also used them to take scrap to the scrapyard, my rear rack is Tortec expedition model

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
A sensitive alarm may improve security, if correctly installed.
regards
Andy
It'd be even better if the motion alarm triggered an electric shock through the wire mesh (there's no evil emoji)

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Using wire loops defeats the object for me as I want them removable and theft part won't occur for me , for grocery shopping I don't use plastic bags any more. These panniers like the ortlieb have the quick release handle to pull up an simply detach the panniers, also they have shoulder strap which is attached for shopping so I simply pack my food in to them as I go along. At sainsbury's one can use the smart shop scanning, at lidl I simply decant the items to scan and reload.
Even with full panniers it is a synch to simply hook them back on the bike.

I bought these because of the silly prices of auction ones on ebay, I could have bought new ortliebs but these are very much identical knock off china ones at a much cheaper price.
I will see how they go and report back on real world usage and quality.
The wires aren't permanently attached to the bike, but can be fitted on the u lock when locking the bike.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
(there's no evil emoji)
Actually, thats something that should be addressed by the forum mods. The lack of emoji's on this site is pitiful state of affairs. Theres not even an lol.

I'm like most here on other forums and we've got hundreds to choose from.
:(