PAS level slider

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
On my conversions I have a + and - button to adjust the pas levels. Is there any invention where the assist power is on a "slider" or twist slider so , for example , I can just twist or slide one way for max assist, the other for min assist and in between, the more I slide/ twist the more power I get ?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
On my conversions I have a + and - button to adjust the pas levels. Is there any invention where the assist power is on a "slider" or twist slider so , for example , I can just twist or slide one way for max assist, the other for min assist and in between, the more I slide/ twist the more power I get ?
It's called a throttle by most people, though it's actually a speed controller.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I have a throttle but it doesn't control the pas level
If you twist it one way, you get more power, and if you twist it the other way, you get less power. Push it up against the brake lever and it will stay where you put it, or remove the spring. Set your controller so that it's only active when pedalling. Throttle always takes precedence over PAS, so it'll do what you asked for.

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

FastFreddy2

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
I have a throttle but it doesn't control the pas level
You are looking for a way to mechanically set what is a "logic" value? While I know bugger all about electricity, I have some programming experience. Given their price, I would expect 'controllers' to have very simple 'logic' (conditional tests). Code might look something like this?

If option selected = 1 then PAS = [resistance value]
If option selected = 2 then PAS = [resistance value]
If option selected = 3 then PAS = [resistance value]
If option selected = 4 then PAS = [resistance value]
Otherwise PAS = [resistance value]

Controllers with 9 power levels, obviously will have more incremental increases. To have the PAS level tied to a mechanical device like a potentiometer (which is what I think a throttle is), would need an almost infinitely variable amount of options, unless the potentiometer had fixed 'click points' that coincided with the 5 or 9 levels seen on electronic controllers.

Given electronic controllers are often placed close to fingers where a small finger/thumb movement increases or decreases the PAS level, the potential benefits of a mechanical (twist grip) option for PAS seem negligible, if there are any?

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
You are looking for a way to mechanically set what is a "logic" value? While I know bugger all about electricity, I have some programming experience. Given their price, I would expect 'controllers' to have very simple 'logic' (conditional tests). Code might look something like this?

If option selected = 1 then PAS = [resistance value]
If option selected = 2 then PAS = [resistance value]
If option selected = 3 then PAS = [resistance value]
If option selected = 4 then PAS = [resistance value]
Otherwise PAS = [resistance value]

Controllers with 9 power levels, obviously will have more incremental increases. To have the PAS level tied to a mechanical device like a potentiometer (which is what I think a throttle is), would need an almost infinitely variable amount of options, unless the potentiometer had fixed 'click points' that coincided with the 5 or 9 levels seen on electronic controllers.

Given electronic controllers are often placed close to fingers where a small finger/thumb movement increases or decreases the PAS level, the potential benefits of a mechanical (twist grip) option for PAS seem negligible, if there are any?
So I might be cycling on the flat in PAS level 1 (10% Power on my BBS02B conversion ). I am coming to a 25% hill, I then have to press "+" eight times to get to level 9, it gets less steep , I have to press "-" 4 times and then downhill "-" another 5 times. I like the level of control of 9 pas levels, but I was just thinking if if there was an easier way of changing between them

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
So I might be cycling on the flat in PAS level 1 (10% Power on my BBS02B conversion ). I am coming to a 25% hill, I then have to press "+" eight times to get to level 9, it gets less steep , I have to press "-" 4 times and then downhill "-" another 5 times. I like the level of control of 9 pas levels, but I was just thinking if if there was an easier way of changing between them
You could set the current of level 1 to whatever you've got level 9 set to, then level 2 to whatever your level 1 is presently set to, level 3 to level 2 etc. When you're ascending your 25% hill, press down once.

FastFreddy2

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
I think many might suggest a throttle is the solution you might be looking for?

You could set the current of level 1 to whatever you've got level 9 set to, then level 2 to whatever your level 1 is presently set to, level 3 to level 2 etc. When you're ascending your 25% hill, press down once.
Or this if it can be done. :cool:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
just get a throttle cant see pold doing anything about it any time soon, my controller in my bike is 20a so that thing should match it just

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Or this if it can be done. :cool:
Current for levels can be arranged in any order using the configurator, they don't have to be progression. A more aggressive set of levels could be programmed for levels 3 to 1, for hilly terrain.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the only mode on my bike thats any good is turbo cant hardly ride it in eco lol

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
the only mode on my bike thats any good is turbo cant hardly ride it in eco lol
Unless running flat, my BBS01B was always on level 9, which used to be at the 15A current limit, now increased to 18A. Now I stick to 15.12A at level 6, with 3-ish extra amps to use for hilly emergency getaways.

Last edited:

FastFreddy2

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Current for levels can be arranged in any order using the configurator, they don't have to be progression. A more aggressive set of levels could be programmed for levels 3 to 1, for hilly terrain.
I've only experience of one display (controller interface) and that's the KM 529 LCD. I don't see any options in the limited menu available, for doing as you suggest. Seems like a great way to alter the fairly linear default progression of the PAS, if you can alter every power level with your respective setup.

Is this going to be an option with different displays, or does it need a specific combination of display/controller to get these options? Put another way, would a different display, allow for altering the respective PAS levels? And maybe increase the options/steps from 5 to 9?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I've only experience of one display (controller interface) and that's the KM 529 LCD. I don't see any options in the limited menu available, for doing as you suggest. Seems like a great way to alter the fairly linear default progression of the PAS, if you can alter every power level with your respective setup.
You've got one of those mysterious hub drive things, which only magicians of advanced ebike electrickery know what of... with their indecipherable C and P level incantations, robes, incense and pet iguanas.

Is this going to be an option with different displays, or does it need a specific combination of display/controller to get these options? Put another way, would a different display, allow for altering the respective PAS levels? And maybe increase the options/steps from 5 to 9?
The OP has a BBS02 - Bafang BBSXX(X) series: The number of levels available is defined by the display. For example, my DPC-18 has 9 levels, others have 5. If you have a display with 5 levels connected to the Bafang BBSXX(X) controller, AFAIK you'll only be able to set parameters at the controller for those 5 levels.

Last edited:

FastFreddy2

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
The OP has a BBS02 - Bafang BBSXX(X) series: The number of levels available is defined by the display. For example, my DPC-18 has 9 levels, others have 5. If you have a display with 5 levels connected to the Bafang BBSXX(X) controller, AFAIK you'll only be able to set parameters at the controller for those 5 levels.

Thank you for the link to the system/User Destructions for the system under discussion. A world of difference from my current experience. And, I expect to experience a similarly restricted range of options care of the second project, that's likely to be a rear mounted hub motor on a bicycle. That choice is not likely to change until it's possible to buy an ISO approved version of a bike frame with integrated mountings, which would let me buy an integratable motor like an ISO compliant Bosch or Yamaha. AFAIK there is no such animal, and no intent by the competing manufacturers to work to a unified standard.

I'm old enough to have had experience of different British motor car manufacturing companies, using different thread standards to assist make their products as unique as possible, in helping prevent interchangeability. That naivety may have helped prevent interchangeability, but also removed opportunities for manufacturing savings from economies of scale.

The first company to make a frame with integrated battery options of 36 and 48 volt (buy one or the other, with options to buy the alternative at a later time), with a motor mounting system that allows the fitment of several (integrated) motor options via adapters, is going to sell a LOT of those frames, and battery systems over time. "I have a dream .... "

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

if they cant sniff out the can bus is fooked fkn computers lol

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
The OP has a BBS02 - Bafang BBSXX(X) series: The number of levels available is defined by the display.
It really was a game changer, each pas level you can adjust the assist power as a percentage and (if you want) a max assist speed level for that pas level .

By default the lower pas levels had too much power and too low a level max assist speed, changing them made a big difference

Reactions: guerney

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
My throttle is programmed to go up to 9, whatever setting is currently active, so for that boost on hills, or to stand on pedals and zoom over bumpy ground, it's perfect.